2023 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 07 - 09

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
chrisc90

Re: 2023 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 07 - 09

Seems RB already getting boo's from the crowd during the F1 show. Dismal.
Not one boo last week in Austria towards anyone. just goes to show.

Chuckjr

What does it go to show?
Watching F1 since 1986.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

chrisc90 wrote:
06 Jul 2023, 19:52
RB is based in England and majority of the staff are English. I have always found this to be ironic. Let the Brits sort it out amongst themselves :lol:

denyall

chrisc90 wrote:
Interesting that you would highlight this as I distinctly remember Mercedes and Hamilton being boo'ed at multiple races during their dominate seasons...

Mosin123
Mosin123

chrisc90 wrote:
Did you miss Toto getting boo's last week then? i didnt...
It happens at every GP pretty much.

You put a lot of dislikeable people in a team, most people will not like said team.

chrisc90

denyall wrote:
06 Jul 2023, 21:09
chrisc90 wrote:
Interesting that you would highlight this as I distinctly remember Mercedes and Hamilton being boo'ed at multiple races during their dominate seasons...
Just a observation on the F1 Show as I turned it on part way through. To be fair, im not sure what Mercedes/Hamilton/era's of dominance have to do with it and your comment noting that.

Must say though, Sky made the 5minutes watch of that show absolutely cringeworthy. Almost scary to watch really. They had people rolling tyres down the grid. They said Max and Checo were out, when quite clearly it was nowhere near them unless Max had grown about 6" since the last time he was seen.

Id drop a link to the 'show' but doesnt seem to be one yet. Show is a very generous word - circus would probably be better suited and that's probably offensive to the circus!
Mosin123 wrote:
06 Jul 2023, 21:16

You put a lot of dislikeable people in a team, most people will not like said team.
I was at the track, so missed 90% of any media interviews on TV, feeds prior to the weekend etc. All I can say is the stand where we were for both Saturday and Sunday - there was not one boo to anyone - even during the drivers parade.

Mosin123
Mosin123

chrisc90 wrote:
06 Jul 2023, 21:19
denyall wrote:
06 Jul 2023, 21:09
chrisc90 wrote:
Just a observation on the F1 Show as I turned it on part way through. To be fair, im not sure what Mercedes/Hamilton/era's of dominance have to do with it and your comment noting that.

Must say though, Sky made the 5minutes watch of that show absolutely cringeworthy. Almost scary to watch really. They had people rolling tyres down the grid. They said Max and Checo were out, when quite clearly it was nowhere near them unless Max had grown about 6" since the last time he was seen.

Id drop a link to the 'show' but doesnt seem to be one yet. Show is a very generous word - circus would probably be better suited and that's probably offensive to the circus!
Mosin123 wrote:

I was at the track, so missed 90% of any media interviews on TV, feeds prior to the weekend etc. All I can say is the stand where we were for both Saturday and Sunday - there was not one boo to anyone - even during the drivers parade.
you do miss out on a lot when you attend a race.. Much better watching at home imho. Although i will be at silverstone over the weekend.

chrisc90

Mosin123 wrote:
06 Jul 2023, 21:30

you do miss out on a lot when you attend a race.. Much better watching at home imho. Although i will be at silverstone over the weekend.
Always plenty of time to catch up on things though.

Enjoy Silverstone!

denyall

chrisc90 wrote:

Mosin123 wrote:

Perhaps I misinterpreted, it seemed that you were comparing crowd booing behavior at Red Bull home race in Austria to Mercedes home race at Silverstone. I was pointing out that perhaps it is not a fair comparison since in 2023 RedBull is dominate and in 2020 Mercedes was dominate and crowd booing trend towards booing the dominate team. Calling it "dismal" seemed to me like a critiques on the fans in Silverstone and somewhat hypocritical considering the above history on booing.

Maybe you meant all booing is dismal? Maybe the show was dismal? I am interested to know..

It's also incorrect to state there was no booing in Austria because you missed out on hearing it.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Brackley and Milton Keynes are both British teams. It is the home race of both teams in Silverstone.

The home race of the "Mercedes" entity was the German GP and that of the "RB" entity was Austria :lol:

chrisc90

denyall wrote:
06 Jul 2023, 21:35
chrisc90 wrote:

Mosin123 wrote:

Perhaps I misinterpreted, it seemed that you were comparing crowd booing behavior at Red Bull home race in Austria to Mercedes home race at Silverstone. I was pointing out that perhaps it is not a fair comparison since in 2023 RedBull is dominate and in 2020 Mercedes was dominate and crowd booing trend towards booing the dominate team. Calling it "dismal" seemed to me like a critiques on the fans in Silverstone and somewhat hypocritical considering the above history on booing.

Maybe you meant all booing is dismal? Maybe the show was dismal? I am interested to know..

It's also incorrect to state there was no booing in Austria because you missed out on hearing it.
No sportsperson deserves to be boo'd - so yeah it is dismal fans (of whatever fanbase - not that we know which team those booing fans support) are booing certain drivers/teams at a track.

I also really wouldn’t say that silverstone is a Mercedes home GP - 90% of the teams are based in the U.K. so that makes it a ‘home GP’ for a lot of them too.

As I think I said in another post above - the eras of dominance are irrelevant.

It is also fair to make a observation on what I have seen from one weekend to the next. It says something you can go a whole weekend spending over 20minutes at a venue and not hear anything negative - yet put a ‘show’ on from another venue and you have boo’s within 5minutes of turning the TV on.
Unfortunately neither you nor I can listen to every fan, tv shows, interviews from each GP weekend so having a observation and stating that, correctly and factually, is perfectly fair.

denyall

chrisc90 wrote:
No sportsperson deserves to be boo'd - so yeah it is dismal fans (of whatever fanbase - not that we know which team those booing fans support) are booing certain drivers/teams at a track.
Certainly agree with you regarding booing, never been a fan of that conduct.
chrisc90 wrote:
I also really wouldn’t say that silverstone is a Mercedes home GP - 90% of the teams are based in the U.K. so that makes it a ‘home GP’ for a lot of them too.
As you and other posters point out, this is true. I find myself asking what is geography? :oops:
chrisc90 wrote:
It is also fair to make a observation on what I have seen from one weekend to the next. It says something you can go a whole weekend spending over 20minutes at a venue and not hear anything negative - yet put a ‘show’ on from another venue and you have boo’s within 5minutes of turning the TV on.
Unfortunately neither you nor I can listen to every fan, tv shows, interviews from each GP weekend so having a observation and stating that, correctly and factually, is perfectly fair.
This is a good point I hadn't considered. Fan spirits will always be different track to track and even if the booing today is the only booing all weekend (it wont be) it still isn't a good look...

I am new here, please forgive my quickness to assume intent of a jab at a certain fanbase (me), I see that red 33 and let it influence my interpretation. Still learning how people interact here.

chrisc90

Fingers crossed the fans at silverstone ‘behave’ as the weekend progresses. We shall see during the weekend and the broadcasts and interviews.

Don’t let yourself feel bad for replying to my initial comment(s). We all have our ways and means of expressing ourselves online and on here, and not always things come across as cleanly as they would if spoken in person (if that makes sense)

Enjoy!

DGP123
DGP123

SkyF1 is horrific. That F1 show is just utter cringe. It’s abysmal Tv. I saw they went from jumping on those space hoppers last year, to rolling a tyre down the road, this year. My god.

Not surprised there was booing.

zibby43
zibby43

chrisc90 wrote:
06 Jul 2023, 22:35
Fingers crossed the fans at silverstone ‘behave’ as the weekend progresses. We shall see during the weekend and the broadcasts and interviews.

Don’t let yourself feel bad for replying to my initial comment(s). We all have our ways and means of expressing ourselves online and on here, and not always things come across as cleanly as they would if spoken in person (if that makes sense)

Enjoy!
Which race was it where supporters of a certain team were burning Mercedes team members in effigy?

Don't think it was Silverstone.