Red Bull RB19

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
vorticism

Re: Red Bull RB19

π“„€

organic

Not that I'm aware of. First appeared Hungary 2022 and hasn't gone away since

vorticism

Miniscule nuts holding that thing together. M3?
Last edited by vorticism on 07 Jul 2023, 17:47, edited 1 time in total.
π“„€

Mtshali_Motorsport
Mtshali_Motorsport

organic wrote: ↑
06 Jul 2023, 18:01
dxpetrov wrote: ↑
06 Jul 2023, 17:42
Are we not supposed to bring new floor this weekend?
Marko said no updates for silverstone in a post-race interview with ORF. Interview and timestamp is linked in team thread as well as translation of what he said. No need to bring floor if not needed. IMO it's ready to be brought to the car but they won't introduce it unless they need it to retain a performance advantage - similar to how the new chassis was ready since Spa last year but wasn't used until 2023

Can't see anything new in photos so far. Single element BW with medium DF RW. About what I expected.

Albert Fabrega [@albertfabrega] tweet:

Looks to me like a small slot gap at the back of the sidepod by the diffuser kick (second image), wonder whats it for....

organic

Mtshali_Motorsport wrote: ↑
07 Jul 2023, 10:13
06 Jul 2023, 18:01
dxpetrov wrote: ↑
06 Jul 2023, 17:42
Are we not supposed to bring new floor this weekend?
Marko said no updates for silverstone in a post-race interview with ORF. Interview and timestamp is linked in team thread as well as translation of what he said. No need to bring floor if not needed. IMO it's ready to be brought to the car but they won't introduce it unless they need it to retain a performance advantage - similar to how the new chassis was ready since Spa last year but wasn't used until 2023

Can't see anything new in photos so far. Single element BW with medium DF RW. About what I expected.

Albert Fabrega [@albertfabrega] tweet:

Looks to me like a small slot gap at the back of the sidepod by the diffuser kick (second image), wonder whats it for....
Would you be able to highlight which feature you are referring to please?

gandharva

Battery Pack

Rikhart
Rikhart

Interesting that the car is filled with aero cages, even though they didn't change anything.

organic

Rikhart wrote: ↑
07 Jul 2023, 13:33
Interesting that the car is filled with aero cages, even though they didn't change anything.
No doubt related to understanding any aerodynamic change as a result of the new 'stronger' front pirelli construction.

dren

07 Jul 2023, 13:38
No doubt related to understanding any aerodynamic change as a result of the new 'stronger' front pirelli construction.
That's my guess as well.
Honda!

Sieper

They also changed the front brake ducts inlet and outlet, maybe they want to check what that does. But imho you want to see what the new tires do, do they affect the wake?

vorticism

Matt Kew:

π“„€

Farnborough
Farnborough

It looks like that thickness in section of front facing floor structure is orientated to restrict the air going under the floor strake channels. A little like a snow plough rolls snow up the blade to then move it away.

If you draw a flow line from the rear edge of lower most front wing flap (through that slot gap between 1 & 2, gently rising in a curve, to then be supported by that "snow plough" roll up, it would direct flow over top of floor structure through the side pod undercut in greater volume. This to eventually feed the virtual pipe down alongside the base of pod to rear wheel/duffuser gap.
A realitively direct and efficient route to feeding the rear of the car.

vorticism

To me it shows why the rear pivot for upper arm was moved down so low (as well, the move to pullrod). Straight shot, maximal air into the sidepod undercut. Less about anti-dive, although that might be a side benefit. Also might serve to slightly reduce upwash from the high pressure bubble in front of the floor being hauled around from the inlet/ramp geometry.
π“„€

Farnborough
Farnborough

vorticism wrote: ↑
07 Jul 2023, 19:09
To me it shows why the rear pivot for upper arm was moved down so low (as well, the move to pullrod). Straight shot, maximal air into the sidepod undercut. Less about anti-dive, although that might be a side benefit. Also might serve to slightly reduce upwash from the high pressure bubble in front of the floor being hauled around from the inlet/ramp geometry.
While i don't feel it would hurt having the top rear leg there for aero effect, I do think that's a minimal consequence. That's against how opinion on here is going in regard to a it dive effect, but I'm happy to hold opposing view there.
Specifically, I dont feel those asking it have fully considered it's interaction with that top "crossbow" link and just how much effect that combination can have.

We don't know the specific details of that link along with it's torsional properties, and can't see how others can judge that fully without qualified facts. I do think the anti dive effects are an important part of THIS chassis overall performance that many have not fully appreciated though.

Interesting though as well in that same picture, the "blow through" brake duct/cowling. Looks like very minimal input air to brake tin, but with provision to create vacuum at rear edge to give maximum extraction to any hot air development in brake. That's as opposed to conventional thinking of big intake forcing pressured air at maximum into brake tin.
Also the flow control at foot of same structure to separate through flow air from tyre squirt consequence.

Dr Obbs
Dr Obbs

As others have mentioned, the changes to the strength of the Pirelli tyre will change the tyre deformation under lateral load. I expect these aero rakes were there to correlate the tyre wake structures under high speed deformation with the tyre deformation model in CFD. Just getting the tyre deformation model correct under lateral load is a big enough challenge on it's own, but changing it mid season is even bigger.