2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
f1316
f1316

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

organic wrote:
07 Jul 2023, 19:19
f1316 wrote:
07 Jul 2023, 19:18
organic wrote:
07 Jul 2023, 18:42
https://i.imgur.com/oeCkID7.jpeg

Sainz's laptimes from fp2. Courtesy of u/btrams on Reddit

Link to full results
This looks pretty good on the softs - medium run more difficult to tell since so short. But bringing them back to a 33 seems comparatively good vs the laps I was seeing others doing in track.

Anyone have the full chart with all teams on there?
The link to the entire chart is in the original message you replied to.

But here is again

https://imgur.com/a/z067QCJ
Lol sorry :lol:

dialtone
dialtone

It's a nice feeling to see them develop the car into clear 2nd best car after being total crap for the first n races.

Now if the strategy team can follow suit we could even have some fun being 2nd fiddle to RedBull and maybe if we're lucky RBR will need to push the throttle all the way down.

All jokes aside, feels like after Singapore 2018 Ferrari overcorrected to caution for updates and maybe Vasseur reverted that stuff top down for this year, might give the team some confidence back, speed of rolling out is a big differentiator under budget cap, but only confidence, backed by track confirmation, can make it happen.

deadhead

Vanja #66 wrote:
07 Jul 2023, 20:45
Good
a retirement would be worse!

scuderiabrandon

LEC will have a medium to use in fp3 tomorrow in more representitive conditions. That is if it stays dry ofcourse. I believe he will be on a similar program to the Red Bulls, Astons and Alpines, so good comparison in front and presumably behind us. It will give us a clear picture of the race pace and if we are still overheating the tyres in cooler weather.

scuderiabrandon

deadhead wrote:
07 Jul 2023, 21:30
Vanja #66 wrote:
07 Jul 2023, 20:45
Good
a retirement would be worse!
Starting next to OCO or STR is just as bad :lol:

codetower

Apologies if I missed it, but did Leclerc run the new wing at all in FP1? Did Sainz run the old in FP2? I am wondering what the comparison is between new vs old.

The fact that Charles had zero running in FP2, they cant really compare much in FP3, so it'll be a gamble, especially if it rains. Do they put on the new and set up the car for race/quali, or just stick to the old for now?

scuderiabrandon

codetower wrote:
07 Jul 2023, 22:18
Apologies if I missed it, but did Leclerc run the new wing at all in FP1? Did Sainz run the old in FP2? I am wondering what the comparison is between new vs old.

The fact that Charles had zero running in FP2, they cant really compare much in FP3, so it'll be a gamble, especially if it rains. Do they put on the new and set up the car for race/quali, or just stick to the old for now?
FP1 SAI ran new bw all session and LEC old bw all session. FP2 SAI ran new bw all session.

I'm sure they have enough data to compare anyways. They were still competitive in the low speed, slightly behind the Red Bull. Chances of rain on race day have picked up but still fairly low 25%. I believe the new beam wing is the way to go even with rain. Biggest threat for rain tmrw will be right before FP3.

SAI I believe complained about overheating tyres. Sunday will be 5°C cooler and partly cloudy so track temp will drop a bit. We'll either have them right in the window or struggle to generate temp. It is still a bit of an unknown at this point.

LM10
LM10

Vanja #66 wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 19:35
LM10 wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 16:02
It surely will be interesting to see if they keep the classic Venturi floor. I'm far away from being an expert, but I've the feeling it would be their only realistic way to beat RBR anytime soon. I don't think RBR will be beaten with their own weapons - they've been fine tuning this concept for 1.5 years now and will continue doing it so in the next years.

So if Ferrari manages to make their current concept floor work in a balanced way and improve their race pace this way, we might have a proper title fight in hand for next year or the year after. It might sound optimistic, but we know how quickly things can change when a team finally starts unlocking the potential of the car, which has not been the case for Ferrari until recently.

What would you do - abandon the classic Venturi floor or stick to the concept?
I think they will be better off if they stick to their own floor development path. I believe they have a lot of room for improvement in various areas of the floor, but need to work further on suspension to keep it lower at the start of the race. Another point too - should they choose to go with elongated sidepod inlets like RB (a path they seem to have now taken) and move the SIS tube to the floor, they will reduce the chassis drag a bit. This will allow them to run more wing(s) and end up with about the same drag as they now have, so that could be some amount of extra downforce.
I also think that sticking to their own development path and trying to make the car work will provide higher winning chances in the future. There must be huge room for improvement from suspension work alone, as you've hinted at.
I've got the feeling Ferrari are of the same opinion, given they've not changed the floor philosophy despite bringing upgrades this season. One would assume they might have done it already instead of spending money on the current design.

Vasseur said they're already working on next year's car (live everyone else of course), "trying to correct the direction" - whatever that means. We'll see.

LM10
LM10

ing. wrote:
07 Jul 2023, 13:27
LM10 wrote:
07 Jul 2023, 11:45
deadhead wrote:
06 Jul 2023, 21:10
Tire pressures for the weekend are kinda silly.. i thought they were trying to avoid all that with the new construction
Silly why?

Btw, just to be sure: The new tyres will not only be available for Silverstone, but the rest of the season, right?
The upgrade tires—tested at Barcelona in FP1 and 2—were planned since earlier this year after Pirelli realized the performance of 2023 cars improved more than expected, and they’ll be used for the rest of the year, yes.

Supposedly these new tires use some elements of the 2024 tires which were also tested at Barcelona, but after the race and only by Ferrari and Merc.
Alright, thanks!

chrisc90

Curfew broken but allowed for Ferrari. Must have been something fairly major on Charles car.

dialtone
dialtone

chrisc90 wrote:Curfew broken but allowed for Ferrari. Must have been something fairly major on Charles car.

I think they said sparks were coming out of the car in the afternoon. Replaced the whole electric panel and cabling.

He looks happy right now and the car seems ready to go out first thing on green flag. He's already in the car.

scuderiabrandon

ambient is 9^C lower than yesterday, clouds overhead so track temp must have dropped quite a bit. Hopefully the overheating yesterday is better in these conditions

It looks like it could rain at any second, so LEC side of the garage needs to get on with it.

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

How does the DRS on/off delta look like? Would be interesting if they've gained some DRS advantage with these upgrades.

scuderiabrandon

Juzh wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 14:12
Leclerc's fp3 lap - behold FOM sinking to a new low with their onboard camera positioning. Worst camera angle I've seen maybe ever. Can't see anything. There's a car in front of him trough copse (that's why he's lifting and his entry speed is 310 kmh) but you couldn't tell from this shot. Horrendous..

All in all ferrari looks pretty hooked trough the lap with serious straight line speed. Minimal steering wheel corrections.
https://streamable.com/jwm06l
Traffic into copse corner, small lift

scuderiabrandon

CaribouBread wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 14:26
How does the DRS on/off delta look like? Would be interesting if they've gained some DRS advantage with these upgrades.

There is a tyre difference to consider LEC (S) VER (M)

Still looks similar to FP2, slight advantage in DRS OFF straight sections, fairly matched in DRS ON straights