2023 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 07 - 09

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
organic

Re: 2023 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 07 - 09

Sainz has only 1 set of mediums for tomorrow and 2 hards. Seems strange choice given track temp forecast is lower than Friday

Albert Fabrega [@albertfabrega]

Tyres available for tomorrow
Compounds gap
Sof-Med 1,2"
Med-Hard 0,6"
#f1 #BritishGP

Link to tweet

mzivtins
mzivtins

chrisc90 wrote:
07 Jul 2023, 21:36
Awfully quiet here tonight considering a home GP for many posters here.
Warning, this is a hot take but I will die on this hill:

What is there to talk about? F1 is terrible now

Max wins all the time (not a fault, but just a fact)

Half of the rest of the grid complain, whilst being paid literally MILLIONS, that they cannot keep a car in track limits due to understeer the entire race and cry when given penalties for not being able to stick to those track limits.

Then we just hear the same stuff week in, week out from one team who always talks about upgrades then just delivers utter trash.

Half the F1 field aren't even good racing drivers as others out there in the wider market.
If these overpaid, oversensitive losers cannot keep in track limits on open wheel Race-cars with godly amounts of aerodynamic grip, then they are obviously NOTHING compared to the skill of drivers who manage it, in the dark, when its raining at 3am at night when you cannot even see the actual wheels.

The sport is weak these days, nothing to discuss but tabloid nonsense about "UpGrAdEs"

I blame RBR for having such a good car, and Merc for talking so much copium and nonsense, that F1 is painful outside of on track action, and even that is silly :D

organic

mzivtins wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 01:27
chrisc90 wrote:
07 Jul 2023, 21:36
Awfully quiet here tonight considering a home GP for many posters here.
Warning, this is a hot take but I will die on this hill:

What is there to talk about? F1 is terrible now

Max wins all the time (not a fault, but just a fact)

Half of the rest of the grid complain, whilst being paid literally MILLIONS, that they cannot keep a car in track limits due to understeer the entire race and cry when given penalties for not being able to stick to those track limits.

Then we just hear the same stuff week in, week out from one team who always talks about upgrades then just delivers utter trash.

Half the F1 field aren't even good racing drivers as others out there in the wider market.
If these overpaid, oversensitive losers cannot keep in track limits on open wheel Race-cars with godly amounts of aerodynamic grip, then they are obviously NOTHING compared to the skill of drivers who manage it, in the dark, when its raining at 3am at night when you cannot even see the actual wheels.

The sport is weak these days, nothing to discuss but tabloid nonsense about "UpGrAdEs"

I blame RBR for having such a good car, and Merc for talking so much copium and nonsense, that F1 is painful outside of on track action, and even that is silly :D
Grid is possibly the best it's ever been. Almost all drivers have excellent junior credentials if not excellent F1 credentials, and pay drivers are at an all-time low surely? With Latifi out and Piastri in it can only be an upgrade compared to a few years ago. Not to mention getting to watch Alonso, Hamilton and Verstappen all on the grid together. In some years you'll be longing for that again. I can see a scenario where Verstappen, Ham and Alonso all hang up their boots in relatively short period of time and the grid is left looking quite shallow in terms of talent.

In modern F1 there's rarely been a challenge for the top team that is more than fleeting. So I don't really get that as a huge complaint even if it would be fantastic if the top team could be closer to the bunch.

Verstappen is a problem for the sport yes. he's a bit too consistent

I think the track limits violations got so ridiculous last week as drivers were not being warned of their violations until it was too late and they got pinged retrospectively for all of the track limit violations they'd committed before they had received any notice of their first one. And drivers only push like that because of the FIA's inconsistency in the past - they've been able to get away with it. If Alonso/Stroll had been extending track limits as well, AMR wouldn't have protested and nothing would've come of that. It's all on the stewards/FIA IMO

Eh, upgrades have made a difference. Ferrari have made leaps forward. If early season SF-23 drove at Silverstone it would be like a lead weight through the high speed, and Leclerc could hold off a dominant RB19 at Austria as a result. McLaren seem to have made big strides with their upgrades.

It's Merc and AMR that are not seeming to progress as much as other teams. AMR especially. Personally I think AMR haven't got a handle on the car's setup window since making their upgrades. Either that or the car is very weak at Austria/Silverstone specifically - which was hinted at by their large weakness in longer high speed corners of which there are many at Austria/Silverstone. They could spring right back into the fight at the front at a track like Singapore for instance. Merc said when they were bringing the Imola upgrade that it wouldn't add pure performance, but help them put their development into the right direction and remove potential problems that they're having. It's the next floor/diffuser/floor edge update that will add performance, and the development into the W15 where they can make significant inroads. All of this takes time

dialtone
dialtone

scuderiabrandon wrote:
dren wrote:
07 Jul 2023, 22:29
I'd say Aston are, but we'll see soon.
I'm not sure who compiled this data but it seems wrong, at least compared to mine from fastf1.

There's a few laps missing from sainz, his last lap was a 33.4. albon was on hards according to fastf1.

This is what i have from fastf1 and cutoff time at 1:36

organic

dialtone wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 01:49
scuderiabrandon wrote:
dren wrote:
07 Jul 2023, 22:29
I'd say Aston are, but we'll see soon.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F0cqpKHXoBM ... name=large
I'm not sure who compiled this data but it seems wrong, at least compared to mine from fastf1.

There's a few laps missing from sainz, his last lap was a 33.4. albon was on hards according to fastf1.

https://i.imgur.com/z1FwWPI.png

This is what i have from fastf1 and cutoff time at 1:36
Toni Sokolov on twitter makes them - i believe he's associated with formu1a - and yes there are a few errors. I think it's highly likely that your/fastf1 data is correct. In albon's case at least I can confirm it was a hard tyre run rather than soft so if the chart has any missed laps that'll be just an error I should imagine

terefere
terefere

organic wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 01:38
Grid is possibly the best it's ever been. Almost all drivers have excellent junior credentials if not excellent F1 credentials, and pay drivers are at an all-time low surely? With Latifi out and Piastri in it can only be an upgrade compared to a few years ago.
The grid is too good, there are no 1st lap incidents anymore and with Latifi, Mazepin and Mick gone, there is no one to randomly crash mid-race to create chaos.

LM10
LM10

mzivtins wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 01:27

The drivers push to the limits of the cars - no matter how good the cars are - that's why they complain and that's the exact reason why they're good and get millions. Even if the cars had the double amount of grip and downforce from what they have now, you'd still have unhappy drivers. If you or I were sitting in these cars, we'd not be upset about low grip.

Saying that other drivers manage it in the dark when it's raining at 3 am and insinuating that they'd do an even better job than the F1 drivers in their territory, is a totally wrong line of thought.

Unc1eM0nty

The field is much closer together too, apart from Red bull ;)
This makes for exciting Qually and close racing, see, it's not all doom and gloom

chrisc90

One of the most exciting seasons if you exclude Max in his RB.

Teams that have been lower down coming up, Williams and Mclaren bringing very good upgrades in last few races, AMR starting really well and looking to drop back a fraction, Other top teams like Ferrari and Merc starting poorly and looking to come back (ferrari) and the Merc development getting away from them it seems which is unusual.

Unc1eM0nty

Weather is looking very unpredictable for Qually, I'm about 100 miles north with the same mixed forecast of sun and rain. Two short heavy shows in the last hour with sun in-between.

They will all be queuing at the end of the pits to get a banker in

chrisc90

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

Post code: NN12 8TN

Definitely rain moving North/North Eastwards so imagine it will be unpredictable like you say.

dialtone
dialtone

Apparently Mick was working till 2am at the sim for the mercs.

chrisc90

dialtone wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 12:40
The car looks a lot better than yesterday that’s for sure

chrisc90

Can forget about any further running now with the band of rain coming in

mkay
mkay

chrisc90 wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 12:47
dialtone wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 12:40
The car looks a lot better than yesterday that’s for sure
Looks better but still quite slow. 1 of the 2 Mercs definitely won't be making Q3.