2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
the EDGE
the EDGE

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Darth-Piekus wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 11:37
I've read an interesting article claiming that Red Bull pretty much is with the same car as when they started this year only tweaking the floor to unlock more potential. What is the secret of their floor and why have they been annoyed when Perez's car was lifted in Monaco? Could they have something let's say illegal down there since it's not the first time they did something like that. Sure you could say that there has been dominations like this from the old MP4-4 but back then Mclaren has the best duo of all time by far from the rest. This car doesn't seem to be able to lose anywhere and makes me thinking if there is something illegal that they are hiding giving them that much speed.
Just a suggestion… But it might be an idea to read the RB19 car thread, I’m sure there’s a lot more useful information in there about the subject than what you will find in the McLaren team thread :wink:

_cerber1

What did Lando do?

organic

_cerber1 wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 12:38
What did Lando do?
I think one of the cooling fans that they use in the garage was left on the car so Lando was told to stop and an engineer collected it from the car. Problem is that Lando had passed the pit exit line and engineers aren't allowed to touch the car beyond that point, so it's being investigated. The engineer only touched the fan rather than the car so depending on semantic arguments, might be okay

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

_cerber1 wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 12:38
What did Lando do?
He was told to stop the car as he exited the pit lane. The team is under investigation because a mechanic touched the car after it had crossed the pit lane line. Apparently some kind of item was still on the exhaust of the car, which they should have taken off before leaving.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Darth-Piekus

I'm pretty sure everything should be ok. It would be outrageous if they imposed some kind of penalty for something so irrelevant.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Darth-Piekus wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 12:58
I'm pretty sure everything should be ok. It would be outrageous if they imposed some kind of penalty for something so irrelevant.
This is McLaren though, a 10 place grid drop not unlikely :lol:
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

ScottR267
ScottR267

Darth-Piekus wrote:
Rules are rules……

Likely to just be a team fine

Darth-Piekus

Should I be worried seeing Williams the almost last team to be so much up there.

haza
haza

Darth-Piekus wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 13:09
Should I be worried seeing Williams the almost last team to be so much up there.
Williams aren’t exactly backmarkers anymore and they have an upgraded car also neither McLaren drivers set a lap on the softs

scuderiabrandon

Darth-Piekus wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 11:37
I've read an interesting article claiming that Red Bull pretty much is with the same car as when they started this year only tweaking the floor to unlock more potential. What is the secret of their floor and why have they been annoyed when Perez's car was lifted in Monaco? Could they have something let's say illegal down there since it's not the first time they did something like that. Sure you could say that there has been dominations like this from the old MP4-4 but back then Mclaren has the best duo of all time by far from the rest. This car doesn't seem to be able to lose anywhere and makes me thinking if there is something illegal that they are hiding giving them that much speed.
the FIA possess CAD models of every car on the grid. I'm sure their only policing method isn't hoping they get lifted off the ground.

Balalu
Balalu

Are fines excluded from the budget cap?
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Phew, it's gone! The team got off with a warning and a fine of 1000 Euros.

mwillems

Darth-Piekus wrote:
It's more about where the engineer is and not what was on the car, so it isn't outrageous, they shouldn't do anything with the car beyond the pit and if they get penalised then they need to take it on the chin.

But the option was the engineer and a penalty or the car might get lifted up so....
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

MrGapes

Don't really know where we are in terms of quali pace after last night changes.. I had a small look at FP2 the onboards, the balance looked okay, I think Oscar will be a surprise he looks proper quick this weekend. Best of luck to both drivers

Darth-Piekus

Generally we can all agree that the car is way better after the upgrades. Now I wonder how much better it can become once it's complete the full upgrade and starts tweaking it.

Out of curiosity. What did Mclaren bring for Silverstone? Got any pictures to compare?

Red Flag. Lando might be lucky keeping his position the moment rain started dropping and the track might get wet a lot by the time they get back out.

Verstappen hitting the wall after coming out of his pitlane. I don't think that has ever happened before in F1.

Let's go Lando. P1 on Q1. The car does seem to like these changable conditions.