2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Darth-Piekus

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

In the meantime Rusell is making Leclerc burn his rubber by making him defend so it's good for us. Lando has to watch though as he got his first time deleted. As expected both Mclarens are saving tyre and still gaining time over Leclerc which is impressive.

mwillems

OK what is our reply to Leclerc?
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

I think we should put both inside to change tyres and keep that distance unless we got for one pit stop less.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 16:33
Luckily there was a good gap to Leclerc (from Lando), at this stage the times of McLaren are still competitive against Leclerc, you don’t want to pit and lose time behind Albon (which is where Piastri would probably slot)… At this point, the best option is to try to increase the gap as much as possible to jump an Albon (and potentially a Perez)… Staying out is the smart strategy

Ben1980
Ben1980

No we've won the Cricket I can concentrate

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 16:39
mwillems wrote:
Luckily there was a good gap to Leclerc (from Lando), at this stage the times of McLaren are still competitive against Leclerc, you don’t want to pit and lose time behind Albon (which is where Piastri would probably slot)… At this point, the best option is to try to increase the gap as much as possible to jump an Albon (and potentially a Perez)… Staying out is the smart strategy
Yep those tyres are not heating up at all on the Ferrari and we should be able to come in around 8 to 10 laps time for softs and make it to the end.

-Bandit

mwillems

Mclaren saying the hard is still the best option.

-Bandit

chrisgr
chrisgr

If we use hards now, we will have a disadvantage against Russell who will probably use mediums. He went until now with softs.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 16:44
SmallSoldier wrote:
mwillems wrote:
Yep those tyres are not heating up at all on the Ferrari and we should be able to come in around 8 to 10 laps time for softs and make it to the end.
I don’t think they will go for Softs… Hards is the safe bet… Yes, Russell has made the Softs for a long time, but if they are starting to struggle with the Mediums, you wouldn’t chance it with Softs att his time… Softs would work if they can extend the stint at least 5 more laps in my mind.

You need to avoid Alonso / Gasly, it would be a problem to get stuck in that DRS train

mwillems

Nice, a slow stop from Russell.

-Bandit

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 16:47
mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

I don’t think they will go for Softs… Hards is the safe bet… Yes, Russell has made the Softs for a long time, but if they are starting to struggle with the Mediums, you wouldn’t chance it with Softs att his time… Softs would work if they can extend the stint at least 5 more laps in my mind.

You need to avoid Alonso / Gasly, it would be a problem to get stuck in that DRS train
Yeah that was what I was suggesting in terms of timing.

Piastri in now, takes hards.

-Bandit

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 16:49
SmallSoldier wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 16:47
mwillems wrote:

Yeah that was what I was suggesting in terms of timing.

Piastri in now, takes hards.
We still have a top speed deficit… Let’s see how hard it is for Piastri to overtake Gasly… You are also building a nice tire delta right now to Leclerc and Sainz

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Easy for Piastri… Pit now would be my call…

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

2 more laps and Softs become an option, lol

mwillems

They are less of a threat now I think, too busy fighting.

They arelooking to see if they can opt Lando into clean air. Just Alonso ago.

Piastri having no issues getting past lol

-Bandit