2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Seerix
Seerix

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Very nice seeing Lando putting his elbows out and defending hard. We often see him in situations like with VER, where he does not put much of a fight. It's great he shows that he can defend when it matters. (those hards are still kinda question mark for me)
Awesome job by Oscar as well, safety car taking his podium was unfortunate.
I did not hope for podiums this season, wow wow.

chrisgr
chrisgr

SmallSoldier wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 17:58

I’m afraid that beyond some small things, the team will be fully focused on 2024, not only is the best way to take advantage of the new wind tunnel, with the budget cap upgrades can’t be unlimited
Its the best thing to do. Because of the budgetcap, because it will be difficult to chase Ferrari for third. They proved that they can improve the car and follow the correct development path and with the new wind tunnel it will be a lot better! The adrenaline rush today was incredible! We won in Monza sure, but after the beginning of this season we were very dissappointed. Not many of us expected that kind of jump in performance. We have to see in other circuit layouts (with slow corners) of course and in more warm weather.

Speaking of jumps in performance, how Williams (and Albon) has managed it this year...they have really impressed me.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Incredible performance from the team. I must say Im really impressed by Piastri !
The car looked promising on the high speed section, even with worse tyres than the competitors

BigBeansBoy
BigBeansBoy

Wow I really thought the hards were going to be the wrong decision. Great to be reminded they’re professional race strategists for a reason!

_cerber1

Spoutnik wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 18:11
Incredible performance from the team. I must say Im really impressed by Piastri !
The car looked promising on the high speed section, even with worse tyres than the competitors
I think that the team understood that soft would die much earlier than hard, so they relied on it. We are still struggling with tires.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Ground Effect wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 18:04
SmallSoldier wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 17:34
Yes!!!! I hope the push on with the upgrades this year and not postpone to 2024. Looking good, shame for Piastri, was on for a podium. It'll come, it'll come.
I’m afraid that beyond some small things, the team will be fully focused on 2024, not only is the best way to take advantage of the new wind tunnel, with the budget cap upgrades can’t be unlimited
From the initial plan, there's supposed to be another major upgrade post shut down, which was separate from the 25% balance that was slated for Hungary. It was only this week Stella stated that it would be dependent on a few things, else they get pushed to 2024.
If there is one post shutdown, that upgrade is probably already signed off and not under design anymore… I’m all up for more pace from the car!

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

chrisgr wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 18:10
SmallSoldier wrote:

Its the best thing to do. Because of the budgetcap, because it will be difficult to chase Ferrari for third. They proved that they can improve the car and follow the correct development path and with the new wind tunnel it will be a lot better! The adrenaline rush today was incredible! We won in Monza sure, but after the beginning of this season we were very dissappointed. Not many of us expected that kind of jump in performance. We have to see in other circuit layouts (with slow corners) of course and in more warm weather.

Speaking of jumps in performance, how Williams (and Albon) has managed it this year...they have really impressed me.
Good assessment, P5 is probably still the goal for the year… The good thing is that on paper, any improvements brought this season will be build upon for next one, so more than upgrades per se, I would like to see some “tests” of potential new developments.

We will have bad races, I do believe that Hungary should be a good place for McLaren… Spa on the other hand will be a tough one

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Race Pace… Not too bad!

McL-H
McL-H

Hungary, Zandvoort. We can give Red Bull a run for their money.

Willy
Willy

It's all in that Chrome livery folks! The ghost of the past fast cars of pre hybrid still lives in that. May be if they would go full chrome, they might even win a race or more. :lol:

organic

McL-H wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 18:37
Zandvoort I feel they may put too much energy through the tyres. It's already a circuit where the thermal deg is through the roof

McL-H
McL-H

organic wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 18:42
McL-H wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 18:37
Zandvoort I feel they may put too much energy through the tyres. It's already a circuit where the thermal deg is through the roof
Yeah, you’re actually right about that. Think it will depend on the track temperatures how they’ll fare there. If it will be cloudy like today, I think they’ll have a chance.

littlebigcat
littlebigcat

I feel like going back through the thread and quoting all the negative posts since testing.

The confidence of everyone walking into the design offices tomorrow is going to be higher than ever. And all that extra wind tunnel and CFD allowance to help them with this direction. Ooofttttt.

the EDGE
the EDGE

SmallSoldier wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 18:27
Ground Effect wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 18:04
SmallSoldier wrote:

From the initial plan, there's supposed to be another major upgrade post shut down, which was separate from the 25% balance that was slated for Hungary. It was only this week Stella stated that it would be dependent on a few things, else they get pushed to 2024.
If there is one post shutdown, that upgrade is probably already signed off and not under design anymore… I’m all up for more pace from the car!
There will be no significant change of philosophy next year, so anything worked on for next year's can be feed into this car, and vice verse. Its way too early to give up on the Mcl60 now.

You do not stop when your on a roll

MrGapes

What a race!!!

Brilliant defending by Lando...and great podium!

Unlucky for Oscar he was amazing... his future is bright, and he'll have plenty of podiums and wins in his career.

It's good to see the pace we saw in FP2 actually come to fruition.. I was quite skeptical and thought it was to good to be true and was maybe lower fuel...

Glad this team was able to prove some of the critics here wrong! :lol:

Now a lot of juicy data for the team to look at :D :D :D