2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
the EDGE
the EDGE

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

mwillems wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 20:41

Yeah but is that the best way to spend the money, if we will struggle to get much higher up the table? If there's little end benefit from making this years car faster after upgrade 3, would it be better to put the money purely to development?
I struggle to understand how these budgets work in practice.

Surely the staff costs are fixed and the tools bought & paid for, so that leaves energy & raw materials. Problem is, if your not using the raw materials or the energy to make upgrades, then whats the point of having the staff?

I agree focus has to be on next year, it has to be on improving consistent handling, aero efficiency, & tyre usage & operating window, but if there's learning that can utilised this year, then it should be.

If it were 2025 then i'd say enough was enough and focus on the new regs, but in a period of stability where learning opportunities are the biggest restriction, the end of this year needs to be a test bed for future development where possible

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

SmallSoldier wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 20:55
It’s interesting that most have a feeling of what the right tire for McLaren was without a pinch of information or data in regards to tire degradation, how fast the car can heat them up (which could end up overheating them… Like the RBR did at one point)… They not only had the information from the long runs on Friday, they also had information from the Mediums that came out of Piastri’s car… For all we know, Lando could have finished 5th if they went for Softs… Why not give the team credit given that the result validates their decision?
Because I find it unlikely that the car can run 25-30 laps on Mediums full of fuel and then fail to run 15 on softs empty. Zak said that it was borderline call so we're not that off. I bet that in the coming races we will see that the car is fine with tire usage and that this was an overly cautious call. Lando seems to think so too.

But let's assume I am wrong, I still feel that going the same way with both cars (and both against the other teams) was a mistake. They could have split strategy and it would be safer for the team.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

FittingMechanics wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 21:33
SmallSoldier wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 20:55
It’s interesting that most have a feeling of what the right tire for McLaren was without a pinch of information or data in regards to tire degradation, how fast the car can heat them up (which could end up overheating them… Like the RBR did at one point)… They not only had the information from the long runs on Friday, they also had information from the Mediums that came out of Piastri’s car… For all we know, Lando could have finished 5th if they went for Softs… Why not give the team credit given that the result validates their decision?
Because I find it unlikely that the car can run 25-30 laps on Mediums full of fuel and then fail to run 15 on softs empty. Zak said that it was borderline call so we're not that off. I bet that in the coming races we will see that the car is fine with tire usage and that this was an overly cautious call. Lando seems to think so too.

But let's assume I am wrong, I still feel that going the same way with both cars (and both against the other teams) was a mistake. They could have split strategy and it would be safer for the team.
Verstappen was struggling with the Softs before the end of the race, they delivered the result… They may know more than you (or I) what the right tire was, I mean maybe they know a little bit more than we do.

In any case, no point in debating opinions… In my opinion, is silly to argue against a decision made based in a lot of data, lap time simulation, etc, but maybe they should scrap all that and run it by feeling, who knows :)

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

SmallSoldier wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 21:51
Verstappen was struggling with the Softs before the end of the race, they delivered the result… They may know more than you (or I) what the right tire was, I mean maybe they know a little bit more than we do.

In any case, no point in debating opinions… In my opinion, is silly to argue against a decision made based in a lot of data, lap time simulation, etc, but maybe they should scrap all that and run it by feeling, who knows :)
I never said they should run it by feeling. They made a conservative choice. I understand it, but think that the team should have put drivers on split strategies.

From what Stella said - one of reasons Lando ended up on Hards was because they were planning to put him on them during the VSC and change to SC came too late to make the switch to Softs without issues (maybe the stop would be too long). - https://the-race.com/formula-1/why-mcla ... yre-pleas/

This explanation makes it more manageable. Without a full safety car the hard tire would be fine. But I am surprised they didn't realize that had to be a SC.

MrGapes

FittingMechanics wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 22:01
SmallSoldier wrote:

I never said they should run it by feeling. They made a conservative choice. I understand it, but think that the team should have put drivers on split strategies.

From what Stella said - one of reasons Lando ended up on Hards was because they were planning to put him on them during the VSC and change to SC came too late to make the switch to Softs without issues (maybe the stop would be too long). - https://the-race.com/formula-1/why-mcla ... yre-pleas/

This explanation makes it more manageable. Without a full safety car the hard tire would be fine. But I am surprised they didn't realize that had to be a SC.
Soft tyres was definitely the ideal tyre for the end.. essentially 12 laps on low fuel. I was also under the impression they didn’t have enough time to swap it cause they already had the tyres ready

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

FittingMechanics wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 22:01
SmallSoldier wrote:

And that’s what I meant by having all the data… The team’s make mistakes all the time, but I am at least comfortable if those mistakes are made considering all the variables at play and risk / reward… Here you have a case of a potential podium for the team, in a season where that seemed out of reach, from Stella they considered that they could lose a position at the restart and was a lesser risk than scrambling and potentially lose several spots due to issues at that Pitstop.

Don’t get me wrong, I even questioned it when it happened and was also of the idea that Softs was the way to go, at the same time it was just a matter of waiting and seeing if they made the right call, the result came in, the pace in the Hard wasn’t much worse than the Soft (Piastri kept Hamilton on sight for the last stint), with the added benefit that there weren’t concerns about potential tire degradation in what surely was going to be a full out stint… The right call is the one that delivers the expected result, in this case the result shows they made the right one.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Lewis has now said that Mclaren's performance shows that the new rules are working:
“But this is the first time in a long time and they deserve to have the performance they have. As I said, we’ve got to do a better job. They’ve now done a better job than us.”

However he is encouraged that the new rules F1 has introduced over the last two years has begun to make the competition close. “This is one of the most exciting times I think we’ve seen in the sport where we’re finally started to see the regs pull people closer.

“The other day you’ve seen that the Williams is up there with Albon, you’ve seen the McLarens, now the Astons. So we have a lot of teams getting very, very close, small gaps between qualifying, which is exactly what we need. So I’m looking forward to seeing the rest of the year evolve.

McL-H
McL-H

I felt like Lewis was flirting with McLaren today. Calling it his family even. He is still without a contract for next season if I’m not mistaken. I mean, we have a great driver pairing and we don’t need any change, but if Lando were to leave for Red Bull or Ferrari, I’d really enjoy seeing Lewis end his career where it all started.

Also, I was wondering today.. does anyone know why we never get to see Ron Dennis anymore? I mean, he never visits a GP, is never a guest in the pitbox. A legend gone and forgotten, just like that? Is that his decision or is he just not welcome anymore?

the EDGE
the EDGE

McL-H wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 22:31
I felt like Lewis was flirting with McLaren today. Calling it his family even. He is still without a contract for next season if I’m not mistaken. I mean, we have a great driver pairing and we don’t need any change, but if Lando were to leave for Red Bull or Ferrari, I’d really enjoy seeing Lewis end his career where it all started.

Also, I was wondering today.. does anyone know why we never get to see Ron Dennis anymore? I mean, he never visits a GP, is never a guest in the pitbox. A legend gone and forgotten, just like that? Is that his decision or is he just not welcome anymore?
I would imagine the last place he would want to be is somewhere that reminds him how he forced out & lost his life’s work

bauc

What a result for the team, superb race by both NOR & PIA to get P2 and P4 respectively. PIA got unlucky with the SC but that's life, we live to fight another day. I was surprised by the race pace of this updated package, to be honest, I was expecting them to drop P5/P6 or worse, but no, they were solid all thought the race.

Let keep moving in the right direction, we will win again... Mclaren!
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

littlebigcat
littlebigcat

the EDGE wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 22:57
I would imagine the last place he would want to be is somewhere that reminds him how he forced out & lost his life’s work
I get the general impression he was at most tolerated by the paddock and not likely welcomed by anyone.

the EDGE
the EDGE

littlebigcat wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 23:05
the EDGE wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 22:57
I get the general impression he was at most tolerated by the paddock and not likely welcomed by anyone.
Not really, he was not liked by Eccleston, and spygate did him no favours, but when have TP’s ever been friends?,

Who is the to invite him? It was not a mutual split with McLaren, so they’d hardly have him back & there’s not many team owners who really worked with him left, Williams before the family sold up maybe, but the other teams are conglomerates under shareholders, there’s no reason for any of them to be nostalgic

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

McL-H wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 22:31

Lewis does anytime Mclaren has a good race the last several years.

He’s never been shy about having a soft spot for Mclaren, and I think he’s not shy about being a fan of Lando. Unlike a lot of driver’s who had family money, Lewis’s sugardaddy was Ron Dennis / Mclaren. He knows he’s in F1 thanks to them.

Loved seeing Mclaren fast at somewhere other than Monza.

organic

What tracks do we think the car will suit then? It seems to be at least on par in most higher speed corners

I'm thinking Japan will be good..

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

organic wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 00:10
What tracks do we think the car will suit then? It seems to be at least on par in most higher speed corners

I'm thinking Japan will be good..
Japan, Spa, and Monza.