2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
organic

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Hoffman900 wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 00:10
organic wrote:
What tracks do we think the car will suit then? It seems to be at least on par in most higher speed corners

I'm thinking Japan will be good..
Japan, Spa, and Monza.
Spa has the final chicane and T1 that I feel might be tricky for the car, and maybe not enough proper high speed corners? I would be happy to be proven wrong though

bauc

Nice compilation/summary

Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Swed3121
Swed3121

Wow, 2nd in both race and quali pace by quite a Clear margin? What is happening right now…

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

organic wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 00:14
Hoffman900 wrote:
organic wrote:
What tracks do we think the car will suit then? It seems to be at least on par in most higher speed corners

I'm thinking Japan will be good..
Japan, Spa, and Monza.
Spa has the final chicane and T1 that I feel might be tricky for the car, and maybe not enough proper high speed corners? I would be happy to be proven wrong though
As a % of the lap, they’re not that substantial. Silverstone has more slower stuff.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

At first, I also thought that they would choose soft tires for Lando, but they acted conservatively and, like many of you, I was worried, and my palms were covered with sweat. But in the end, most of us got it wrong. Lando kept Lewis, Oscar kept George, in turn, the mega-fast Max on the soft tires did not make some kind of mega-breakaway from Lando. Again, let's not forget that this chassis suffers from increased tire consumption-degradation. And one more thing: the Red Bull and Mercedes chassis are very careful with tires. Did everyone take this factor into account when they kicked McLaren's strategists? Here, several comrades spoke correctly: the team has more information than we do. But it also happens that obvious things on the surface also work. I will also note that there were no mechanical suspension parts from the upgrades, exceptional airpack. And therefore, under hot conditions, tire degradation will still make itself felt. But I believe in the team, in the drivers, engineers, Andrea Stella and Peter Prodromou!

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

Aero is a big driver of tire performance in these type of cars, so an aero update will have a large effect on degradation.

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

CjC wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 18:00
May I just remind you that Mclaren finished 17th and 19th in Miami!
They’ve just finish 2nd and 4th.
I don’t think I’ve seen anything like it before!! I think I’m in shock to be honest🤣
I honestly am just staggered! During Lando vs Hamilton I think I forgot to breathe for 2-3 laps.

Kudos also to fans of other teams for coming into the thread to congratulate McLaren.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Well, he laughed. In Formula 1, in fact, aerodynamics always prevail over mechanics, this has been happening for at least the last 25 years, and not only with the advent of the latest iteration of the technical regulations. I look at the telemetry and see that the chassis has become more confident to drive both in fast turns and in slow ones. This is a good sign. There is more downforce, aha. But Lando continues to say that the balance is not the best, handling is far from optimal. And here the role of the suspension and the range of adjustments comes out. The team has a lot to work on. High downforce reduces tire slippage, which has a positive effect on resource. But downforce alone cannot fix high tire degradation.

Mclarenfanboy
Mclarenfanboy

So proud of the team. Even if the perfomance in Hungary is not that strong, I dont care, gonna enjoy the moment. It was a good day in the office. =D> =D> =D>

ort895
ort895

Do we still have suspension bits coming in Hungary?

Willy
Willy

Does anyone here believe these upgrades were conceived after James Key left McLaren in March?

djos

Willy wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 02:37
Does anyone here believe these upgrades were conceived after James Key left McLaren in March?
It's pretty obvious things changed rapidly after Stella took over - I don't think it's unreasonable to infer that he brought the Aero team back to a sensible level of prominence. Key was probably sidelined well before he left in March.
"In downforce we trust"

djos

Epic drive by Lando and very good drive by Oscar too. Overall, a great day for the team.

It's just a shame that once again the incompetent race director showed he's out of his depth! I mean c'mon, there's a car on fire, on the track, and you call for a VSC instead of a full safety car! FFS, that completely screwed Oscars race and cost him a podium. :evil:
"In downforce we trust"

Willy
Willy

djos wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 02:41
Willy wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 02:37
It's pretty obvious things changed rapidly after Stella took over - I don't think it's unreasonable to infer that he brought the Aero team back to a sensible level of prominence. Key was probably sidelined well before he left in March.
You have made your dislike for James Key apparent due to Riccardo affiliation and as such you blame Key for his problems. I would be happy to hear from someone who has an unbiased take on the matter. Besides, nobody thinks Riccardo could have delivered the result that Oscar did yesterday or so far this season.

It might very well be that this was Key's contribution, but he was fired before things could come to fruition. Stella has taken over from Seidl, not from Key.
Last edited by Willy on 10 Jul 2023, 03:40, edited 1 time in total.

runningmanz
runningmanz

Stunning result for McLaren! Gutted for Oscar though, he deserved 3rd but got stiffed by the damn SC. Was laughing at Lewis and George they were shocked at how quick Macca was with the new upgrades. Can't wait to see how the rest of the season pans out! McLaren are back!!
Last edited by runningmanz on 10 Jul 2023, 06:01, edited 1 time in total.