2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
djos

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Willy wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 03:32
djos wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 02:41
Willy wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 02:37
Does anyone here believe these upgrades were conceived after James Key left McLaren in March?
It's pretty obvious things changed rapidly after Stella took over - I don't think it's unreasonable to infer that he brought the Aero team back to a sensible level of prominence. Key was probably sidelined well before he left in March.

It might very well be that this was Key's contribution, but he was fired before things could come to fruition. Stella has taken over from Seidl, not from Key.
Ignoring your baseless statements, last year big things were promised under Key and all we got was meh!

So logic suggests, and many others agree, that Key was holding the team back. Key being fired merely confirms this was the internal view also.
"In downforce we trust"

PikeStance

Can we suspend with the "key" chat. Anything anyone says is pure conjecture. No one, outside the inner circle, would have a clue on what he have or have not contributed. Does it matter? No.

As far as the tires,... I know last week there was conversation about tire degradation, so this may have been a concern thus why they were prepared to go on the Hard tires. After about two laps the drama was over. You can tell Lando had the pace. Oscar was unlucky, and... Russel didn't get close enough to smell his exhaust. It seemed he actually had more pace than Lando and could had passed him early on until the team told him to not to pass. He fell off the pace, but thereafer pulled away easily from Ferrari.

Our goal was never to catch the pack, but to catch Red Bull. They mentioned that they may bring in small upgrades. I think will be done in part to improve performance this year and too help set up the car for 2024 to compete with Red Bull.

My .02
Interesting how the guy from Ferrari on the post qualifying show was quite dismissive of McLaren and yet Ferrari underperformed today. Personally I think Sainz is better than LeClerc, but Ferrari just craps all over Sainz.

Stroll was overly aggressive this race. I am not in the anti-Stroll wagon which I think has little to do with his silver spoon than his driving. I don't think he will be a champion driver but he is capable of holding his own, but today was just an awful performance.

Albans driving great and Williams is doing an amazing job of putting a competitive car given their financial and infrastructural challenges.
<-Pike----
Expat American in Guangzhou
Native New Orleans

runningmanz
runningmanz

djos wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 02:47
Epic drive by Lando and very good drive by Oscar too. Overall, a great day for the team.

It's just a shame that once again the incompetent race director showed he's out of his depth! I mean c'mon, there's a car on fire, on the track, and you call for a VSC instead of a full safety car! FFS, that completely screwed Oscars race and cost him a podium. :evil:
yeah I thought that was ridiculous too when the car was stopped on track and on fire. How is that not a full SC straight away?!

runningmanz
runningmanz

Amazing drive by both drivers. Oscar got a brilliant launch off the line too arguably the best and was gunning for the inside, Lando had to get his elbows out to hold him off, he was all over Lando at the start of the race too even being told to hold station by the team. Mega impressive from the kid without the latest front wing as well.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/vide ... 69923.html

runningmanz
runningmanz

Apparently we had a rear suspension update as well at Silverstone? Amazing how many updates are coming. Heard more suspension update(s) for Hungary too. Can anyone confirm?

bauc

If we can be in the top 8 in Hungary with both cars (on merrit), then we will be able to fight for good points and maybe few more podiums till the end of the season with this package.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 21:51
FittingMechanics wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 21:33
SmallSoldier wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 20:55
It’s interesting that most have a feeling of what the right tire for McLaren was without a pinch of information or data in regards to tire degradation, how fast the car can heat them up (which could end up overheating them… Like the RBR did at one point)… They not only had the information from the long runs on Friday, they also had information from the Mediums that came out of Piastri’s car… For all we know, Lando could have finished 5th if they went for Softs… Why not give the team credit given that the result validates their decision?
Because I find it unlikely that the car can run 25-30 laps on Mediums full of fuel and then fail to run 15 on softs empty. Zak said that it was borderline call so we're not that off. I bet that in the coming races we will see that the car is fine with tire usage and that this was an overly cautious call. Lando seems to think so too.

But let's assume I am wrong, I still feel that going the same way with both cars (and both against the other teams) was a mistake. They could have split strategy and it would be safer for the team.
Verstappen was struggling with the Softs before the end of the race, they delivered the result… They may know more than you (or I) what the right tire was, I mean maybe they know a little bit more than we do.

In any case, no point in debating opinions… In my opinion, is silly to argue against a decision made based in a lot of data, lap time simulation, etc, but maybe they should scrap all that and run it by feeling, who knows :)
It worked out fine, so what can we say?

You do wonder though, if Hamilton had got past early on (and it was not just the speed of the car but Lando's perfect defensive driving that prevented that), his tyres would not have cooked and he'd then be defending from Lando and who knows what would have happened, my view is we had a good chance to get him back as his used tyres neared the end of the life as I stated in the race. This to me suggests how close it was between the Hards and the Softs. I also don't know how many laps those used had on them.

But if they didn't have the softs ready and warmed for the cars then they can't put them on, so there is only one decision to make! Hard tyres.

Had the soft tyres been ready I agree with many on here that I would be more comfortable with those, and I think Norris who knew the tyres intimately was of the same mind, but it doesn't matter, it isn't worth arguing about. We got P2, Lando did what he needed to do to protect the position when it was under threat and saw it through.

Most important thing for all to remember is it is fine to have a view, but it is just a perspective and there is no right or wrong so don't get hung up on it, some think hards, some think softs... I think we got P2 anyway :D

What is obvious is the call probably was super close anyway, both with pro's and con's. What's nice is that in this situation the team got some valuable data and can use this in the next situation, so all is good.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

By the way, one of the positive results for the team, and for me in particular, is a large amount of information about the cars at the race distance. It will be possible to carefully study both airpacks and see where else you can improve the settings. Even in the TV broadcast, it was clear that Lando's front wing has a lower angle of attack, or under load it bends more to compensate for drag.

BMMR61

“I got it wrong!”
My first major wrong call on McLaren this season!

I thought both our guys were going to be swamped by all the soft tyre runners in the final 14 laps. But the team always operates on more data than we can ever possess. Hats off to everyone from Zak down. The papaya faithful got a fairytale result that was no more than it deserved.

Is it just me but we saw it throughout the weekend, Silverstone run a 1980s style flatbed truck and hoist and seem to wait for the union delegate to give approval to start the recovery. At our local track (underfunded) they have recovery teams with low loader trailers and winches that roar into action with great efficiency. These delays were incredibly long, or was I just counting the laps dwindling away? Great weekend otherwise! 😀🤜🤛

mclaren111

runningmanz wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 09:04
Apparently we had a rear suspension update as well at Silverstone? Amazing how many updates are coming. Heard more suspension update(s) for Hungary too. Can anyone confirm?

IIRC it's only the fairing that covers the suspension that changed - for aero performance...

mclaren111

mwillems wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 17:30
You read it here first. Mika Hakkinen is not on drugs.
:lol: =D> =D> :lol:

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

djos wrote:
Epic drive by Lando and very good drive by Oscar too. Overall, a great day for the team.

It's just a shame that once again the incompetent race director showed he's out of his depth! I mean c'mon, there's a car on fire, on the track, and you call for a VSC instead of a full safety car! FFS, that completely screwed Oscars race and cost him a podium. :evil:
Piastri pitted on lap 30. I don't think it would have mattered - safety car or not.

mclaren111

IntrinsicVoid wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 17:41
Just =D>
Hope they keep this up.

and coming from Tifosi fan.

Thank you kindly Sir... Hope you guys can fall in behind us and beat those pesky Mercs... :D :D

PikeStance

FittingMechanics wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 10:50
djos wrote:

Piastri pitted on lap 30. I don't think it would have mattered - safety car or not.
It actually did matter. Piastri boxed during race speed while Hamilton boxed during SC. It put Hamilton in 3rd. Piastri was comfortably in their as well.

I was listening to a podcast and they seem to think if he had a few more laps Piastri might have caught Hamilton and most likely passed him.
<-Pike----
Expat American in Guangzhou
Native New Orleans

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

PikeStance wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 10:59
FittingMechanics wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 10:50
djos wrote:

It actually did matter. Piastri boxed during race speed while Hamilton boxed during SC. It put Hamilton in 3rd. Piastri was comfortably in their as well.

I was listening to a podcast and they seem to think if he had a few more laps Piastri might have caught Hamilton and most likely passed him.
Piastri finished the race in the DRS zone of Ham in the last lap apparently. So 1 or 2 laps more, who knows