McLaren MCL60

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mclaren111

Re: McLaren MCL60

mwillems wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 14:59
mclaren111 wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 12:27
f1rules wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 11:39
You know its the old one youre showing?

Old what ?? Both cars have the new floor now...
Front wing is the change on the menu this weekend.

My point exactly... Vorticism is talking floor while f1rules refers to the Front Wing in the pictures...

f1rules
f1rules

Ah yeah, my mistake

mclaren111

Nice angles...

hollus

Just a gentle reminder... livery, team personnel and "will Piastri be fast?" do not belong in the car threads, but in the team threads. A few such posts have been deleted in the last pages.
That said, most posts are on topic, thanks!
Rivals, not enemies.

mclaren111

Is that a slight indent on the Sidepod ? Or my imagination again ?

michl420
michl420

Norris was faster than Verstappen on the straights, although he clearley have a bigger rear wing. Either RB playing it save with the engine or the top speed comes from the new mclaren floor. Could that be right?

Emag
Emag

michl420 wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 12:05
Norris was faster than Verstappen on the straights, although he clearley have a bigger rear wing. Either RB playing it save with the engine or the top speed comes from the new mclaren floor. Could that be right?
I don't really claim to be anything close to an expert when it comes to aero, but the only way I can think of for the floor to have any impact on drag would be on the expansion stage right at the diffuser and the interaction with the beam wing.

I would expect the airflow patterns generated by the front wing in conjunction with the rest of the bodywork down to the rear wing would have a bigger impact on drag, but someone with more knowledge on the area could give a better insight.

I do think the floor is the main contributor in McLaren's recent upturn in performance though. Of course, whatever changed conceptually on the underfloor has happened in relation to the change in sidepod and overall bodywork changes that they had with the package, but the real "devil" must be hiding under there.

If a McLaren is lifted up in the upcoming races, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a sculpted underfloor similar to that of RedBull.

MrGapes

Norris with trimmed rear wing (Hence good on straights), Piastri with Normal

mwillems

Emag wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 12:11
michl420 wrote:
I don't really claim to be anything close to an expert when it comes to aero, but the only way I can think of for the floor to have any impact on drag would be on the expansion stage right at the diffuser and the interaction with the beam wing.

I would expect the airflow patterns generated by the front wing in conjunction with the rest of the bodywork down to the rear wing would have a bigger impact on drag, but someone with more knowledge on the area could give a better insight.

I do think the floor is the main contributor in McLaren's recent upturn in performance though. Of course, whatever changed conceptually on the underfloor has happened in relation to the change in sidepod and overall bodywork changes that they had with the package, but the real "devil" must be hiding under there.

If a McLaren is lifted up in the upcoming races, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a sculpted underfloor similar to that of RedBull.
If you have more DF from the floor then you can run less wing I suppose, which is blunt downforce. The new Front wing looks like it is set up to allow a little more airflow to the floor. I suppose that a strong seal on the floor will also prevent air escaping the floor (if it isn't strong enough already) and hitting the rear tyres or interfering with airflow in general.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

gcdugas

Methinks Lewis is failing at his game of misdirection. I have no idea what motivates him to say the Mac resembles the RB19 when it in no way does. RB has nothing approaching the Water Slides but the Aston Martin does. The MCL60 changes have FAR more closely copied the AMR23 than the RB19 to even the most casual observer.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-s ... r-AA1dBRVn
Last edited by gcdugas on 11 Jul 2023, 20:29, edited 1 time in total.
Innovation over refinement is the prefered path to performance. -- Get rid of the dopey regs in F1

gcdugas

Emag wrote:
michl420 wrote:

Or.... the MCL60 carried a bit more corner exit speed down the entire straight.
Innovation over refinement is the prefered path to performance. -- Get rid of the dopey regs in F1

Farnborough
Farnborough

gcdugas wrote:
11 Jul 2023, 09:15
Methinks Lewis is failing at his game of misdirection. I have no idea what motivates him to say the Mac resembles the RB19 when it in no way does. RB has nothing approaching the Water Slides but the Aston Martin does. The MCL60 changes have FAR more closely copies the AMR23 than the RB19 to even the most casual observer.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-s ... r-AA1dBRVn
I'll offer the contra view.....it's comprised of many elements prominent in RB. Pull rod front suspension, lifted air intake front of side pod with extended "under bite" large volume into sidepod undercut, that volume potentially available to gap between the rear wheel and diffuser wall, ability to use less extreme wing flap.....but still generate tyre temperature even on hard compound after a few laps.
It's only the waterslide that differs significantly in aero surfaces in substantial way.

They seem to have pulled MCL60 into that zone of maintaining chassis load without significantly raising drag, through the magic window of diminishing returns to outstrip their close competition.

It's going to be interesting to watch at upcoming tracks and find out how these gains play out in further application.

trinidefender
trinidefender

Emag wrote:
michl420 wrote:

The act of generating downforce by the floor will generate drag. You can't get something from nothing.

mclaren111

trinidefender wrote:
11 Jul 2023, 10:31
Emag wrote:
michl420 wrote:

The act of generating downforce by the floor will generate drag. You can't get something from nothing.

Like Stella said many times... MCL60 lacked Effecient Downforce...

Marco Alves
Marco Alves

Has anyone found a good photo of the changes to the rear brake ducts and rear suspensions?