2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Balalu
Balalu

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

RedBull are heavily courting Norris again. Everyone has a price...

Every time I log online I get this dreaded feeling of seeing the news that Norris is switching to RedBull. Same feeling I had of when Seidl was about to jump ship, which was a blessing in disguise. I don't see any blessings in loosing Norris.

I'm a McLaren fan, so whatever happens, I stick with the team.

In my mind it does not make sense for him to leave now, but you never know. I'm sure he knows more than we do.
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

MrGapes

Balalu wrote:
12 Jul 2023, 13:32

Every time I log online I get this dreaded feeling of seeing the news that Norris is switching to RedBull. Same feeling I had of when Seidl was about to jump ship, which was a blessing in disguise. I don't see any blessings in loosing Norris.

In my mind it does not make sense for him to leave now, but you never know. I'm sure he knows more than we do.
I think Lando knows the journey the team is on, he will want to see what the team is capable of next year and the coming before making the decision... and I'm confident the team will succeed.

geogate
geogate

never known a Driver that was so deeply loyal to a team as Lando is. He really does see it as his fam, for now. Closest before was Lewis, but there comes a time for everyone to fly the nest. I dont think Lando's time to fly the nest is yet

PikeStance

djos wrote:
11 Jul 2023, 10:55
PikeStance wrote:
11 Jul 2023, 10:51
billamend wrote:
11 Jul 2023, 10:44
Helmut has tried many times. Lando never accepted.
This is old news. Red Bull already approach Lando prior to signing the current contract.

djos wrote:
11 Jul 2023, 09:17

You must not have been following F1 for very long.
You are suggesting that Mercedes HPP is engaged in fraud? I think you should have some source for evidence for making this claim.
I’m not sure if English is your native language, but it would seem we are misunderstanding each other.
Facepalm.
:roll:
<-Pike----
Expat American in Guangzhou
Native New Orleans

djos

PikeStance wrote:
12 Jul 2023, 13:54

Facepalm.
:roll:
Indeed, all good. 8)
"In downforce we trust"

CjC
CjC

Balalu wrote:
12 Jul 2023, 13:32

I read somewhere that Verstappen has advised Norris to stay at Mclaren and see the job through.
Not sure if he was just giving Norris some sound advise or he plain just doesn’t want Lando as his teammate :lol:

I too can’t find the article where I read it #-o
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

Norris would love to race for RB, but as the main man. Ferrari seems more like somewhere that could open up for him.

Can't see him risking going into Verstappen's back yard , all Lando wants is a car that can win. Well it looks like he close to is getting one so I doubt the temptation will be quite as strong as it was at the start of the year.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

BMMR61

Stella’s most recent comments are very interesting. First the chat about gains in the wind tunnel, I doubted this refers to the new one. My assumption is they would still be in calibration phase of deployment, any thoughts?
Second, the commitment to continual upgrades coming beyond Hungary - as the spec unveiled at Austria was the car they wanted to start the season with, the team may regard Hungary as round 3 not 11 in development terms. My point being, while clear progress is being made to the MCL60B (there I did it) the developments may continue very deep into the season. This in spite of 4th in the WCC being a long way off. Next year’s car may prove to be quite evolutionary around 60B especially given there are virtually no rule changes for ‘24.

bauc

BMMR61 wrote:
12 Jul 2023, 14:43
MCL60B (there I did it)
Hhahah, you know B spec is only when new chassis is created and approved by FIA, but good try :mrgreen: =D>
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Macklaren
Macklaren

Why would Lando leave a team that is rallying around him to go be a #2 driver at the sharkpit that is RBR? Whether he beats Max or Max beats him or even if they are equals, his friendship with Max will likely be ruined. Also, who is to say Marko wont cast him to the B-team within 5-6 races if he gets consistently beaten? UNLESS Max has told him that he is serious about his early retirement hints and will bounce in 1-2 years.....

Balalu
Balalu

Macklaren wrote:
12 Jul 2023, 15:06
Why would Lando leave a team that is rallying around him to go be a #2 driver at the sharkpit that is RBR? Whether he beats Max or Max beats him or even if they are equals, his friendship with Max will likely be ruined. Also, who is to say Marko wont cast him to the B-team within 5-6 races if he gets consistently beaten? UNLESS Max has told him that he is serious about his early retirement hints and will bounce in 1-2 years.....
In my opinion it would be stupid if he left McLaren for RedBull with Max there and because he is king at McLaren.

If the trend continues, even Sainz will regret leaving for Charle's team.

But, shocking and unreasonable things have happened before and will continue to happen.
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

MrGapes

Allison: "We note when something new or unusual comes along, the interesting thing and unusual thing about the McLaren upgrade is it's lap time effect is really quite strong, it's pretty usual to have a step of that size of relative competitiveness in the middle of a season and you know, chapeau to them, they've done a really good piece of work there, but also makes it interesting for us because we have the before and after shots, and we know the lap time effect was big, so well worth our time for us paying more attention than we normally might to a team's or another competitors team's upgrades because in this case we know that whatever changed has made a really meaningful difference to their lap time."

I would assume the secret sauce is in the underbody, and luckily the first variation was never photographed...

Macklaren
Macklaren

The McLaren tech team should feel pretty warm and fuzzy after watching that video

CjC
CjC

mwillems wrote:
12 Jul 2023, 11:39
MrGapes wrote:
12 Jul 2023, 11:12
CjC wrote:
12 Jul 2023, 10:53

What types of upgrade can target race pace🤔
Obviously more downforce = better race pace. But to single out 'race pace' suggest some sort of mechanical alteration that may improve the aero platform at higher fuels, or better manage the energy through the tyre over a stint.
I think that what he meant to say was "out of any upgrade that is left that can be brought, what will upgrade the race pace?"
I guess the first answer was right.
It was a general question, I was wondering what type of upgrade they or any team could bring to a car to improve race pace.
Personally I’m think a suspension update but I’ve previously ruled it on a few pages back.
I guess we’ll find out in 9 days time what it is👍🏻
Just a fan's point of view

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

I’ll add a few words about the new wind tunnel: as far as I remember, Stella said this back in the spring that the wind tunnel had been built and now work is underway to import all sorts of computing tools, as well as subsequent calibration, correlation with previous developments. And if I remember correctly, this work was supposed to be completed in June. Now we are in the middle of July and there is an assumption that those aerodynamic innovations that will arrive after the summer break will be performed in a new wind tunnel. This makes sense, as the team should be fully prepared by 2024.