2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PikeStance

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Balalu wrote:
12 Jul 2023, 16:40
Macklaren wrote:
12 Jul 2023, 15:06
Why would Lando leave a team that is rallying around him to go be a #2 driver at the sharkpit that is RBR? Whether he beats Max or Max beats him or even if they are equals, his friendship with Max will likely be ruined. Also, who is to say Marko wont cast him to the B-team within 5-6 races if he gets consistently beaten? UNLESS Max has told him that he is serious about his early retirement hints and will bounce in 1-2 years.....
In my opinion it would be stupid if he left McLaren for RedBull with Max there and because he is king at McLaren.

If the trend continues, even Sainz will regret leaving for Charle's team.

But, shocking and unreasonable things have happened before and will continue to happen.
Despite there being two cars in a "team," the race strategy promotes favoritism towards one car.
Example:
(1) 25 pts + (6) 8 pts = 33
(2) 18 pts + (4) 12pts = 30
Moreover, 2nd and 3rd are 33 pts meaning 1st and 5th are superior to two podium finishes.
In most races, RB only needs to have Perez in the top 6 or at worse top 5. First place is all that matters.

So Ferrari favoring Charles over Carlos and Hamilton over Russel (previously) Bottas makes sense.

It is only a team sport to get one car in first. You see this strategic approach play out each week.
Red Bull will be Max First, Mercedes is Hamilton First, and Ferrari is LeClerc first. If Norris thinks he can go to any of those teams and think he will have a legit shot at championships, he is smoking rope. I actually think Carolo Sainz at this point is better than LeClerc but Ferrari will never develop a strategy to allow that to happen unless it is painfully obvious. Even with Mclaren, Piastri actually had a good pace and may have been stronger than Norris this past weekend, but McLaren pulled the reigns on him and the rest is history.
<-Pike----
Expat American in Guangzhou
Native New Orleans

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

PikeStance wrote:
13 Jul 2023, 04:54
Balalu wrote:
Macklaren wrote:
Why would Lando leave a team that is rallying around him to go be a #2 driver at the sharkpit that is RBR? Whether he beats Max or Max beats him or even if they are equals, his friendship with Max will likely be ruined. Also, who is to say Marko wont cast him to the B-team within 5-6 races if he gets consistently beaten? UNLESS Max has told him that he is serious about his early retirement hints and will bounce in 1-2 years.....
In my opinion it would be stupid if he left McLaren for RedBull with Max there and because he is king at McLaren.

But, shocking and unreasonable things have happened before and will continue to happen.
Despite there being two cars in a "team," the race strategy promotes favoritism towards one car.
Example:
Moreover, 2nd and 3rd are 33 pts meaning 1st and 5th are superior to two podium finishes.
In most races, RB only needs to have Perez in the top 6 or at worse top 5. First place is all that matters.

So Ferrari favoring Charles over Carlos and Hamilton over Russel (previously) Bottas makes sense.

It is only a team sport to get one car in first. You see this strategic approach play out each week.
Red Bull will be Max First, Mercedes is Hamilton First, and Ferrari is LeClerc first. If Norris thinks he can go to any of those teams and think he will have a legit shot at championships, he is smoking rope. I actually think Carolo Sainz at this point is better than LeClerc but Ferrari will never develop a strategy to allow that to happen unless it is painfully obvious. Even with Mclaren, Piastri actually had a good pace and may have been stronger than Norris this past weekend, but McLaren pulled the reigns on him and the rest is history.

How did Mclaren "pull the reigns" on him? It as perfectly logical as the leading car to get the first pit stop under VSC. No one thought race control would dither about and then throw a SC anyway...
A lion must kill its prey.

PikeStance

AR3-GP wrote:
13 Jul 2023, 04:57
PikeStance wrote:
Balalu wrote:

Example:

How did Mclaren "pull the reigns" on him? It as perfectly logical as the leading car to get the first pit stop under VSC. No one thought race control would dither about and then throw a SC anyway...
They told him to "hold your position" and to "let him know if he is being held up."
Last edited by PikeStance on 13 Jul 2023, 08:28, edited 2 times in total.
<-Pike----
Native New Orleans

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

PikeStance wrote:
Balalu wrote:
Macklaren wrote:

Example:

I'm happy with Oscar's pace. I’ll even say more, it’s not without reason that he took the championship in F3 and F2 from the first season. But, on medium and hard tires, his pace was slightly slower than Lando's. This is especially true on hard tires in the last stint of the distance. So at this point in time, it's not worth saying that Oscar was faster than Lando. But he is much closer than Dan, and this, you see, is a good sign. Oscar was able to adapt to the McLaren chassis, which means he knows how to squeeze all the speed out of the technique.

PikeStance

LionsHeart wrote:
13 Jul 2023, 08:24
PikeStance wrote:
Balalu wrote:

Example:

I'm happy with Oscar's pace. I’ll even say more, it’s not without reason that he took the championship in F3 and F2 from the first season. But, on medium and hard tires, his pace was slightly slower than Lando's. This is especially true on hard tires in the last stint of the distance. So at this point in time, it's not worth saying that Oscar was faster than Lando. But he is much closer than Dan, and this, you see, is a good sign. Oscar was able to adapt to the McLaren chassis, which means he knows how to squeeze all the speed out of the technique.
I watched his driver cam. Oscar seemed much crisper in the slower corners, but lack Lando's pace on the faster corners. I would not be surprise if Oscar has a better performance in Hungary.
<-Pike----
Native New Orleans

MrGapes

PikeStance wrote:
13 Jul 2023, 08:32
LionsHeart wrote:
13 Jul 2023, 08:24
PikeStance wrote:

Example:

I watched his driver cam. Oscar seemed much crisper in the slower corners, but lack Lando's pace on the faster corners. I would not be surprise if Oscar has a better performance in Hungary.
Lando was running less downforce...I looked at the telemetry and even the delta during the race and if anything Lando was better in the slow and Oscar in the high. You're talking about the gap in the first stint, what benefitted Oscar was the fact that he had more df but the split stream provided by Lando meant he didn't lose anything in the straights either. Frankly I don't even know why this is a conversation both drivers were brilliant come Sunday, just enjoy the fact that we have two amazing drivers who can extract the maximum.

ollandos
ollandos

the drs on red bull is on the moon ....its impossible for anyone to steal the pole ......i think with out drs like q1 and q2 norris is faster ....and probably red bull have little more wing on their setup ....so the main object for any other team is to copy the drs of redbulls ...with out this there is no way to be infront .....

Macafangrskg
Macafangrskg

ollandos wrote:
13 Jul 2023, 10:26

the drs on red bull is on the moon ....its impossible for anyone to steal the pole ......i think with out drs like q1 and q2 norris is faster ....and probably red bull have little more wing on their setup ....so the main object for any other team is to copy the drs of redbulls ...with out this there is no way to be infront .....
If the data is accurate we have unbelievable acceleration in the exit of the corners but the overall straight line speed hurt us. But i am starting to be optimistic after this video for the rest of the season

ollandos
ollandos

Macafangrskg wrote:
13 Jul 2023, 11:09
ollandos wrote:
13 Jul 2023, 10:26

If the data is accurate we have unbelievable acceleration in the exit of the corners but the overall straight line speed hurt us. But i am starting to be optimistic after this video for the rest of the season
if you see the onboard that coming from norris ...he is on throttle much earlier on most corners (except T3 exit)...so its not the car that much ..but the driver ..and his style

f1rules
f1rules

I really like what stella has done so far and his future expectations

bauc

f1rules wrote:
13 Jul 2023, 11:21
so 2025 is the target for the WIN =D>
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

MrGapes

bauc wrote:
13 Jul 2023, 11:30
f1rules wrote:
13 Jul 2023, 11:21
so 2025 is the target for the WIN =D>
Regular podiums next year also suggest at highly suited circuit we may also fight for wins :D

BMMR61

[/quote]

Piastri actually had a good pace and may have been stronger than Norris this past weekend, but McLaren pulled the reigns on him and the rest is history.
[/quote]

Oscar was asked to drop back from Lando to give him the space and confidence to attack Max, while he had him in his sights, around lap 12 before the gap started to blow out. From my recall there wasn’t a whole lot of difference in their times, definitely less than 0.5. The two drivers at this point (in their McLaren careers) are comfortable with the situation. We should regard the situation as both drivers working towards the team points, of course this can usually end up in some sort of imbalance. Oscar is the rookie, almost a podium in his 10th GP and is doing just fine. Team orders were simply a tactic of moment and no sense of the normally intended use of the term. Incidentally according to one of the Sky guys ( Brundle?) Oscar was close to undercutting Lando at the time of the VSC & SC. A team orders would probably have been requested if normal racing had continued, “let Lando through he’s on newer tyres”.

BMMR61

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/pere ... os-return/
Any talk of Red Bull talking with Lando fading away….

billamend
billamend

BMMR61 wrote:
13 Jul 2023, 12:22
https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/pere ... os-return/
Any talk of Red Bull talking with Lando fading away….
Marko would drop Checo in a second if Lando was available/interested.