2023 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Big Tea

Re: 2023 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

ringo wrote:
17 Jul 2023, 06:08
chrisc90 wrote:
16 Jul 2023, 13:45
Wonder what they are going to bring this time.

Hopefully its not a merge towards the Ferrari/AMR style sidepods.

However I would laugh if they roll up with a zeropod design. :lol:
They will bring zero pods. :wtf:
If they did you would hear my laughter from there :mrgreen:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Big Tea wrote:
17 Jul 2023, 16:34
ringo wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

And mine too =D>

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Hammerfist wrote:
17 Jul 2023, 16:42
Big Tea wrote:
17 Jul 2023, 16:34
ringo wrote:

And mine too =D>
I think there would laughter throughout the F1 world. :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

An interesting Twitter thread with notes from Formu1a Uno:

Maybe this is why it's taking longer for RB to get upgrades out the door. Having to keep everything working aerodynamically must be a very painstaking process.
A lion must kill its prey.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Other musings:

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Checo's focus is runner up in the championship:

Wouter

Pierre Wache:

"We are not yet fully focused on 2024 and we are not just stopping the further development of this year's car," he explains to Racing News 365, among others.

"The 2024 technical regulations are the same as in the current season, so many parts that we are currently developing for this year will also be used next year. For example, a new floor can also be included in next year's chassis."

"You always have to make a good assessment, looking at the results in the title fight. We are not stopping with this year's car, but the balance between those two projects is different. That remains a problem. We are dealing with a budget cap and manufacturing parts costs a lot of money."
“We didn't bring very many upgrades, indeed,” says Wache. "Also don't forget that we have a big disadvantage in the wind tunnel."
"So we have much less opportunity to develop the car further than the competitors."

"I think we didn't start much earlier than the rest. Of course the car will be changed in 2024, so there will be a new chassis and there are always learning opportunities.
Then we finally decide whether we choose a different route and want to change the concept, for example in the suspension or cooling of the car.
Other parts are carried over from this year to the next season."
The Power of Dreams!

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Wouter wrote:
17 Jul 2023, 18:01
Pierre Wache:

"We are not yet fully focused on 2024 and we are not just stopping the further development of this year's car," he explains to Racing News 365, among others.

"The 2024 technical regulations are the same as in the current season, so many parts that we are currently developing for this year will also be used next year. For example, a new floor can also be included in next year's chassis."

"You always have to make a good assessment, looking at the results in the title fight. We are not stopping with this year's car, but the balance between those two projects is different. That remains a problem. We are dealing with a budget cap and manufacturing parts costs a lot of money."
“We didn't bring very many upgrades, indeed,” says Wache. "Also don't forget that we have a big disadvantage in the wind tunnel."
"So we have much less opportunity to develop the car further than the competitors."

"I think we didn't start much earlier than the rest. Of course the car will be changed in 2024, so there will be a new chassis and there are always learning opportunities.
Then we finally decide whether we choose a different route and want to change the concept, for example in the suspension or cooling of the car.
Interesting hints regarding the suspension and the cooling of the car.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

ringo wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

I'd laugh my cotton socks off if Newey has figured out how to make the zero pod
concept work. Though realistically I expect Red Bull will have an evolution of it's current concept that
will likely look eye catching. With the restraint on wind tunnel use, I wouldn't be overly surprised if they
bring parts to the track that are for the RB20.

Willy
Willy

Rumour has it that they are moving towards Aston style sidepods.

chrisc90

Wouter wrote:
Pierre Wache:

Something just doesn't seem to tally up with that quote for me. Reading around and through the lines of the wind tunnel penalty, is he just saying that to make it look like its been a 'penalty' for them? Would delaying (or bringing a lack of) a upgrades to the car (in a season the car is already faster than the others) be of any benefit? Its effectively saying that this is the upgrade we should have brought 4 or 5 races ago, but the tunnel penalty has hampered us by 2 months (for example)

Not yet fully focused on 2024 but already talking about concept changes or major changes to say the suspension, which is likely to affect the chassis mounting points or gearbox design.

RB could effectively afford to not bring any upgrades this year, the car has enough pace to keep its lead or at worst be competitive with the others. 3 or 4 teams aren't going to leapfrog the RB - especially in the hands of Max. Simply wont happen.

RB will know exactly where their design is going. Its strange they are bringing sidepod changes, as you would think that if they know where the improvements are they would keep them until next year. Especially given the original ones work. Only thing would be a tester of something like the Ferrari ones with the scooped out uppers. See if its a watered down version they have for 2024 and need to do some testing to ensure correlations are right. I certainly wouldn't want to show my hand so early on a big change like that so early on and be at risk of others copying.

We'll see.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

chrisc90 wrote:
17 Jul 2023, 19:01
Wouter wrote:
Pierre Wache:

Something just doesn't seem to tally up with that quote for me. Reading around and through the lines of the wind tunnel penalty, is he just saying that to make it look like its been a 'penalty' for them? Would delaying (or bringing a lack of) a upgrades to the car (in a season the car is already faster than the others) be of any benefit? Its effectively saying that this is the upgrade we should have brought 4 or 5 races ago, but the tunnel penalty has hampered us by 2 months (for example)

Not yet fully focused on 2024 but already talking about concept changes or major changes to say the suspension, which is likely to affect the chassis mounting points or gearbox design.

RB could effectively afford to not bring any upgrades this year, the car has enough pace to keep its lead or at worst be competitive with the others. 3 or 4 teams aren't going to leapfrog the RB - especially in the hands of Max. Simply wont happen.

RB will know exactly where their design is going. Its strange they are bringing sidepod changes, as you would think that if they know where the improvements are they would keep them until next year. Especially given the original ones work. Only thing would be a tester of something like the Ferrari ones with the scooped out uppers. See if its a watered down version they have for 2024 and need to do some testing to ensure correlations are right. I certainly wouldn't want to show my hand so early on a big change like that so early on and be at risk of others copying.

We'll see.
The sidepod change could be a feeler for next year. His comments about chassis and cooling suggest yet another evolution of the sidepod area.

organic

I'm not going expecting a dramatic evolution, but I wouldn't be surprised by Aston martin waterslides. Aston martin and McLaren seem to have found huge gains with this development route.

Furthermore, this area of the car has been largely untouched by RB in terms of changes since the launch spec of rb18. Spa 2022 expanded this region slightly to prevent inwash on the top of the sidepod, but apart from this change nothing..

A slight shift in development away from an enormous undercut and towards a large waterslide would not be a huge shift imo; RB don't seem up against it in terms of packaging at all.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
17 Jul 2023, 21:04
I'm not going expecting a dramatic evolution, but I wouldn't be surprised by Aston martin waterslides. Aston martin and McLaren seem to have found huge gains with this development route.

Furthermore, this area of the car has been largely untouched by RB in terms of changes since the launch spec of rb18. Spa 2022 expanded this region slightly to prevent inwash on the top of the sidepod, but apart from this change nothing..

A slight shift in development away from an enormous undercut and towards a large waterslide would not be a huge shift imo; RB don't seem up against it in terms of packaging at all.
It was stunning when Aston Martin launched their car. Would it be "stunning" now? Maybe I'm just reading too much into it. I would call it "boring" if it's just an Aston Martin sidepod :lol: . A zero-pod would be ironic. A falcon wing and no radiators would "stunning" :wink:

Perhaps a grain of salt is needed because a RB engineer will have an incredibly biased opinion on what is "stunning" and what is not...Other teams have been famously infatuated with their own designs...

Farnborough
Farnborough

It'll be intriguing to see where development has taken this design.

Adding other sourced elements like waterslide seem to me perhaps counterproductive as they look to have more drag than the current RB top surfaces, also not the equal so far in performance terms. Possible, but would seem a surprise.

Maybe an improvement in functional cooling internally to call for less demand in entry airflow, allowing a smaller cross section to front of pods. Perhaps movement more toward a top surface entry in the way of a NACA ducted entryway.
These current, close to top surface entry with extended underbite topography, appear to me the most effective in planing off airflow with least drag penalty of the types in use this year anyway. Maybe a more extensive evolution of those paired with cooling gains is viable.