2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
djos

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Ground Effect wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 10:03
Well, I guess every 2nd RB driver's struggle should be blamed on the race engineer, in that vein. Oscar always progresses over the course of the weekend, especially on tracks he's never raced on. There might be an initial Ricciardo-like gap at the start, but by qualifying he's right on pace with Lando. I'm not sure you'd get that kind of progress with a bad race engineer.
Most of the 2nd RedBull drivers haven’t lacked speed, they’ve lacked mental toughness when teamed up against Max.
"In downforce we trust"

Macafangrskg
Macafangrskg

djos wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 10:09
Ground Effect wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 10:03
Well, I guess every 2nd RB driver's struggle should be blamed on the race engineer, in that vein. Oscar always progresses over the course of the weekend, especially on tracks he's never raced on. There might be an initial Ricciardo-like gap at the start, but by qualifying he's right on pace with Lando. I'm not sure you'd get that kind of progress with a bad race engineer.
Most of the 2nd RedBull drivers haven’t lacked speed, they’ve lacked mental toughness when teamed up against Max.
It is not only a mental thing. It is a car that is setup and designed for only one driver.Ferrari has done in the past. Mercedes too. We almost did it. Norris in the start of 22 said that the car designed to mitigate the problems of Ricciardo and he hated it.

Henri
Henri

McLaren upgrades have worked the jump is big.. they are faster than ashton martin.. faster than redbull in high speed 😁.. peter pro is working his magic

djos

Macafangrskg wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 10:20
We almost did it. Norris in the start of 22 said that the car designed to mitigate the problems of Ricciardo and he hated it.
Where do you get this from? Lando is on record saying he wanted the same things as Daniel but the team get giving them the "weird car".
"In downforce we trust"

mclaren111

djos wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 10:47
Macafangrskg wrote:
We almost did it. Norris in the start of 22 said that the car designed to mitigate the problems of Ricciardo and he hated it.
Where do you get this from? Lando is on record saying he wanted the same things as Daniel but the team get giving them the "weird car".

I remember that to... That was James Key... :mrgreen:

CjC
CjC

Henri wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 10:21

McLaren upgrades have worked the jump is big.. they are faster than ashton martin.. faster than redbull in high speed 😁.. peter pro is working his magic
Makes me think Mclaren will be 4th or 5th quickest but I’ll happily let the team prove me wrong at the weekend👍🏻
Just a fan's point of view

proteus

Im afraid we are getting a bit carried away. If the next track would be Spa or Suzuka, it would be logical, but i dont think Hungary will be good. The car still needs wide entries into slow corners and this might be a problem this weekend. Realistic prediction is a fight for 8th at best. I would rather be surprised if they do better than being dissapointed if they perform worse than everybody curently expects them to do.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

CjC
CjC

proteus wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 11:28
Im afraid we are getting a bit carried away. If the next track would be Spa or Suzuka, it would be logical, but i dont think Hungary will be good. The car still needs wide entries into slow corners and this might be a problem this weekend. Realistic prediction is a fight for 8th at best. I would rather be surprised if they do better than being dissapointed if they perform worse than everybody curently expects them to do.
Sorry meant to say 4th or 5th quickest team.
I’d be ecstatic if they were 4th and 5th on the grid!
Just a fan's point of view

MrGapes

Oddly no updates on the current status of the wind tunnel or simulator...maybe they will shift after the summer break when it's 100% focus on the 2024 car...

Maybe they want to compete the ongoing 2023 development in cologne before shifting...

Are they allowed on work on cap ex projects during factory shutdown? Or is it 100% shut down..

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

proteus wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 11:28
Last year Lando qualified 4th and Daniel 9th, the year before that Lando qualified 6th, Daniel 11th. 2020 Lando 7th, Carlos 8th. So, historically they haven't done badly in Hungary. I don't know about predictions for this weekend, but it could be better than we think.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Macafangrskg
Macafangrskg

mclaren111 wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 11:06
djos wrote:
Macafangrskg wrote:

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-auto ... ix-F1-news

“It’s not that I hate driving the car I’m driving now, but it’s very unsuited to my driving style," he told the F1 Beyond the Grid Podcast. "At the beginning of the year, it suited Daniel a lot more than it suited me in terms of how you had to drive it and that’s something I really struggled with at the beginning of the season.

djos

Macafangrskg wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 12:58
mclaren111 wrote:
djos wrote:

“It’s not that I hate driving the car I’m driving now, but it’s very unsuited to my driving style," he told the F1 Beyond the Grid Podcast. "At the beginning of the year, it suited Daniel a lot more than it suited me in terms of how you had to drive it and that’s something I really struggled with at the beginning of the season.
You are misrepresenting what he said!
"In downforce we trust"

Farnborough
Farnborough

MrGapes wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 12:36
Oddly no updates on the current status of the wind tunnel or simulator...maybe they will shift after the summer break when it's 100% focus on the 2024 car...

Maybe they want to compete the ongoing 2023 development in cologne before shifting...

Are they allowed on work on cap ex projects during factory shutdown? Or is it 100% shut down..
It's interesting that IF the current development is successful as early performance has raised confidence so far, then it's not the wind tunnel or other infrastructure that has held them back.
The attitude has to exist that puts contemporary ideas of value into both CFD and then to wind tunnel etc, irrespective of the hardware location.
The ideas drive the research, it won't happen the other way. We are sometimes given view of the fantastic facilities that Sauber operations posses, but to what effect in this field of competition are they applied ?

Tentatively it does look that McL have pulled themselves into a valid direction in car concept, that baseline that by its existence and observations in day to day performance will compound the development effects as these next races progress.

mclaren111

djos wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 13:02
Macafangrskg wrote:
mclaren111 wrote:

I meant it as a joke... Hence the Mr. Green Emoji... :D

djos

mclaren111 wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 13:06
djos wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 13:02
Macafangrskg wrote:

I meant it as a joke... Hence the Mr. Green Emoji... :D
I got your your joke. 8)

It was Macaaaaaa who was making things up and misrepresenting Lando’s comments.
"In downforce we trust"