2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Macafangrskg
Macafangrskg

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

djos wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 13:02
Macafangrskg wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 12:58
mclaren111 wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 11:06

I remember that to... That was James Key... :mrgreen:
https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-auto ... ix-F1-news

“It’s not that I hate driving the car I’m driving now, but it’s very unsuited to my driving style," he told the F1 Beyond the Grid Podcast. "At the beginning of the year, it suited Daniel a lot more than it suited me in terms of how you had to drive it and that’s something I really struggled with at the beginning of the season.
You are misrepresenting what he said!
Lando one thing that he has - and it not good but refreshing - is that he is very brutal and unfiltered.

How i can misinterpreted what he said?

Very clearly he is saying "At the beginning of the year, it suited Daniel a lot more than it suited me in terms of how you had to drive it and that’s something I really struggled with at the beginning of the season."

Daniel really likes a front locking car .Because that what he learn form Toro Rosso and RB.Even in Renault he struggled in the first season. Norris likes the exact opposite .More rear lock biased like Lewis

djos

Macafangrskg wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 13:13
djos wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 13:02
Macafangrskg wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 12:58

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-auto ... ix-F1-news

“It’s not that I hate driving the car I’m driving now, but it’s very unsuited to my driving style," he told the F1 Beyond the Grid Podcast. "At the beginning of the year, it suited Daniel a lot more than it suited me in terms of how you had to drive it and that’s something I really struggled with at the beginning of the season.
You are misrepresenting what he said!
Lando one thing that he has - and it not good but refreshing - is that he is very brutal and unfiltered.

How i can misinterpreted what he said?

Very clearly he is saying "At the beginning of the year, it suited Daniel a lot more than it suited me in terms of how you had to drive it and that’s something I really struggled with at the beginning of the season."

Daniel really likes a front locking car .Because that what he learn form Toro Rosso and RB.Even in Renault he struggled in the first season. Norris likes the exact opposite .More rear lock biased like Lewis
You said they designed the ‘22 car for Daniel, that is patently false and not what Lando said. It is also not backed up by any team statements ever.
"In downforce we trust"

CjC
CjC

Sheesh come on guys.
Ricciardo is the past. Let’s leave it there
Just a fan's point of view

Macafangrskg
Macafangrskg

CjC wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 13:45
Sheesh come on guys.
Ok no problem. It started by Horner comments thought for our engineer

CjC
CjC

Macafangrskg wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 13:51
CjC wrote:
Sheesh come on guys.
Which I saw and was even going to comment on.

It’s just the Lando/ Daniel axis that dominated the majority of last seasons team thread :roll:

Regarding Horner, I feel he’s on the same path as Ron Dennis. Massive, massive success but will just turn into a fool.

I read the other month how upset Horner was when Ron Dennis slammed Adrian Newey for leaving Mclaren to go to Red Bull as Ron was accepting an award at the end of season Autosport awards. According to Newey, Horner was fuming. Now after many seasons of Red Bull success, when employees choose to leave his team he is now acting the same way as Ron Dennis was was almost 20 years ago.
So I wouldn’t be too bothered about the mumblings of hypocrite.
Just a fan's point of view

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

Hello! I'm new to the forum. Just wanted to ask how much do you guys think the new front wing/nose Lando run in Silverstone is worth in lap time realistically? I've read between 0.05 and 0.1 tenths, but the FP1 times from when he was running the old front wing and nose didn't seem that different. If anything it seemed to mess with the balance of the car according to his comments. Do you guys reckon it will be more useful in Hungary? Thanks!

mwillems

Macafangrskg wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 13:51
CjC wrote:
Sheesh come on guys.
To publicly decry and engineer like that just totally lacks class and is Horner through and through.

He's the kind of person that can't let things go and has to make dig after dig where he can.
He'll never be a Ron Dennis, not even close, he doesn't have that kind of power in his own team, let alone the sport.

Toto Wolff is the modern Ron Dennis and probably better than Ron Dennis.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

Henri wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 10:21

McLaren upgrades have worked the jump is big.. they are faster than ashton martin.. faster than redbull in high speed 😁.. peter pro is working his magic
And on a par with AM and Ferrari in the slow speed, given that Lando was running less DF this is very interesting.

Often it is dangerous to look at a single corner as we have been doing in this thread because it can sometimes be affected by how drivers attack the bends, with gains in one corner offset by losses in another due to the drivers own styles.

I'm cautiously optimistic that this weekend will demonstrate that these corners at Hungary are nothing to be scared of for Mclaren.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

MrGapes

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-mc ... /10497369/

Some interesting bits in there... The article suggest they are already using the new tunnel, but obviously wouldn't make sense as these designs were established months ago.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

mwillems wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 17:58
Henri wrote:

McLaren upgrades have worked the jump is big.. they are faster than ashton martin.. faster than redbull in high speed 😁.. peter pro is working his magic
And on a par with AM and Ferrari in the slow speed, given that Lando was running less DF this is very interesting.

Often it is dangerous to look at a single corner as we have been doing in this thread because it can sometimes be affected by how drivers attack the bends, with gains in one corner offset by losses in another due to the drivers own styles.

I'm cautiously optimistic that this weekend will demonstrate that these corners at Hungary are nothing to be scared of for Mclaren.

The trends are also impacted by how the teams are choosing to compromise for the best laptime.

As Hungary is exclusively low and medium speed, a different order may reveal itself, nevertheless I do expect Mclaren to mix it up with Ferrari, Mercedes, and Aston. Driver execution will likely be the biggest factor with cars so close together. A 1 tenth driving error in qualifying can be the difference between P3 and P9.
A lion must kill its prey.

f1rules
f1rules

i can imagine, they are probably using the latest itteration of the car in the new windtunnel for calibration, to compare old vs new windtunnel data, beside the more normal standard calibration,
MrGapes wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 17:59

Some interesting bits in there... The article suggest they are already using the new tunnel, but obviously wouldn't make sense as these designs were established months ago.

billamend
billamend

MrGapes wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 17:59

If I'm not mistaken, the narrative has been that the new tunnel will only be used for the 2024 car.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Dafnalina wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 16:39
Hello! I'm new to the forum. Just wanted to ask how much do you guys think the new front wing/nose Lando run in Silverstone is worth in lap time realistically? I've read between 0.05 and 0.1 tenths, but the FP1 times from when he was running the old front wing and nose didn't seem that different. If anything it seemed to mess with the balance of the car according to his comments. Do you guys reckon it will be more useful in Hungary? Thanks!
Difficult question: although I am not new to the analysis of updates, it is difficult even for me to answer your question, looking at the pace of both McLarens in the race. The pace was comparable. On average in the race, Oscar was 0.1 seconds behind Lando on each lap. Whether this is attributed to updates or Oscar's more accelerated tire wear due to the fact that he is still a rookie, I do not presume to judge.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

I'll write here about the new wind tunnel: Stella mentioned in the spring that there will be a big package before the summer break and one big package after the summer break. We have already seen one of them and it was modeled and adjusted in the Toyota wind tunnel. He also mentioned that by June the equipment, fine-tuning and calibration of the new wind tunnel should be completed. Therefore, if the technical regulations remain stable, then the second large update package should be developed on a new wind tunnel for more accurate testing. I see this as a logical and understandable solution.

The team must know their main computing tool very precisely. And it is better to know such things sooner rather than later. This will also allow more precise calibration of the instruments used in testing 60% of the chassis model. The more precise, the better. There should be a correlation between the new wind tunnel and the car that hits the track. After that, the team will double-check and calibrate the pipe again based on data from the simulator and CFD computers.

Using a new pipe for a 2024 car like this seems like a very stupid decision to me, especially considering that Lando's patience is also not unlimited. The team must provide him with a fast car as quickly as possible. The beginning of 2023 was the hardest for him, and he mentioned it. Yes, he remains loyal to the team and that's great for us fans. Stella mentioned in recent interviews that there will still be updates this year, so we are looking forward to the second half of the season, for some reason I am sure that they will be developed already on the new wind tunnel.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 17:58
Henri wrote:

I support you. It is also worth noting here that Ferrari and Aston had a significantly lower downforce rear wing, the maximum speeds confirm this. Aston's balance was good, but they lacked pace in the race. In Silverstone, the teams brought rear wings of different downforce, so it’s a little incorrect to judge strictly who, where and how fast in corners. But on the Hungaroring everyone will bring the “barn gate” wings, so everyone will be on an equal footing in corners. It remains to wait quite a bit of free practice. :)