Red Bull RB19

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
kediown

Re: Red Bull RB19

F1NAC

Rotated zeropod 😂

Merc should just rotate their inlet for 90degrees 😄

organic

An extreme letterbox..

zioture
zioture

organic

Will they open more louvers/engine cover to compensate?

They decreased the size of the airbox inlet for the RB19 relative to the RB18 considerably, and now downsizing also the sidepod inlet relative to last year (I would assume, just looking at it). It is very aggressive

Under impression that can compensate for a change at inlet side easily with larger outlet.
Last edited by organic on 20 Jul 2023, 11:30, edited 1 time in total.

chrisc90

Are we going to see a very long extended undercut on the side pod?

Cassius
Cassius

organic wrote:
20 Jul 2023, 11:27

They decreased the size of the airbox inlet for the RB19 relative to the RB18 considerably, and now downsizing also the sidepod inlet relative to last year (I would assume, just looking at it). It is very aggressive

Under impression that can compensate for a change at inlet side easily with larger outlet.
Or they were conservative with the inlet.

Could be the Honda engine can run at higher temperatures now and/or they have made their radiators more efficient.

lio007

For comparison the evolution from Baku.
And in the second pic from Miami.

seezung77
seezung77

Picture from another angle:

Vanja #66

organic wrote:
Inlet surface area remained mostly the same, but the shape change was impactful in Baku. Right now the change looks even bigger, however the trick here is that the inlet surface area is not what we "see" from the front view. The lower lip obscures more than half the inlet surface (which looks almost the same height as before) and RB is drawing air from a layer above the lip.

The trick with this design is what happens in corners, you need to make sure you don't have any major stall/detachment zones on the inlet lip with lateral flow or otherwise you compromise the cooling.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Farnborough
Farnborough

organic wrote:

Although not a NACA duct fully, it's heading toward surface intake (as opposed to front facing) and to me will have something similar in airflow down the shoot, less drag and more volume into undercut. Subtle! but gains in most areas.

Did anyone read the link posted for NACA duct posted by JaF ? There's very good explanation via research in that document that explains the intricacies of flow in surface entry air ducts.
Most significantly around radii placement of the different sections to bring up the ultimate efficiency, that's EFFICIENCY to drive the point home, while leaving boundary layer flow relatively undisturbed.

Effectively, no compromise in throughput to cooling, more volume to undercut flow generation, improved drag efficiency as I view it.

Giando

oh, finally someone who understands the 'surface' concept and has the balls to copy my own design from early 2014 :mrgreen: :lol:

Imagefree image hoster

SirBastianVettel
SirBastianVettel

Rikhart
Rikhart

@AlbertFabrega:

michl420
michl420

Looks like the upper crash structure could go under the intake, like pre-22, for next year.