Red Bull RB19

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
chrisc90

Re: Red Bull RB19

What’s the 2 silver tubes sticking up from just behind the inlet?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

warpomex wrote:
20 Jul 2023, 18:28
Dumb question... all that airflow on the undercut wouldn't generate some lift in the Middle of the chasis?
The sidepods are generating lift but if the out washing effect is sealing the floor better, then it's a net benefit.

Farnborough
Farnborough

warpomex wrote:
20 Jul 2023, 18:28
Dumb question... all that airflow on the undercut wouldn't generate some lift in the Middle of the chasis?
Think more small boat hull (true fluid dynamics :D) in that water flow meets a Hull sculpted in similar fashion, the water rolled outward going up the tub side to scroll into a clockwise vortice on right looking from front (obviously opposite on other) so rather than lift the energy is dispersed into that scrolling, then onwards into the virtual tube running under the pod and captured by the floor edge you can see, looking like a tube, along down inside the rear wheel.
This looks to provide a powerful flow right out through the back in similar direction to how they previously used exhaust blowing of the rear floor.

Henk_v
Henk_v

Am I the only one thinking they had a look at MC Laren?

Rikhart
Rikhart

This looks to me like a much more refined and integrated version of the mercedes "zero pod wing thing".

marcel171281
marcel171281

Henk_v wrote:
20 Jul 2023, 19:32
Am I the only one thinking they had a look at MC Laren?
Impossible that this upgrade is inspired by the last McLaren update. This update is probably in the works from before race 1. Early CFD concept to on track can easily take months.

El_KaPpa
El_KaPpa

Rikhart wrote:
20 Jul 2023, 19:37
This looks to me like a much more refined and integrated version of the mercedes "zero pod wing thing".

If it's a zero-pod design, it will be the biggest humiliation in Formula 1 history
Of course I struggle. I just don’t quit.

Farnborough
Farnborough

Rikhart wrote:
With all the sidepod entrances reasonably sited from the the rules in the same place (apart from loophole W13) there's going to be a claim on commonality that can be seen.

In concept, these two are nothing alike, and more like a polar opposite theory in onward airflow strategy.

The intakes being one type above, RB, and one below, MB, makes the design nothing like each other in fundamental air management, lift generation and drag.

There's no commonality here.

chrisc90

Shark fin has gone too.

Back to RB18 style.

AMG.Tzan

Rikhart wrote:
It really looks like that yes!

And to be honest this is what I expected Mercedes to come up with at Monaco! I expected the inlet to be slightly above and behind the crash structure! But probably the crash is too “thick” for that implementation!

So Red Bull didn’t adopt the water slide! They don’t even need to at this time since they are clearly ahead in the championship! But I expect to see that development in the RB20!
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Pany
Pany

If we assume all the sidepod with shape of reverse wing, we may find additional downforce

Farnborough
Farnborough

Good comparison here.

Farnborough
Farnborough

AMG.Tzan wrote:
20 Jul 2023, 20:24
Rikhart wrote:
It really looks like that yes!

And to be honest this is what I expected Mercedes to come up with at Monaco! I expected the inlet to be slightly above and behind the crash structure! But probably the crash is too “thick” for that implementation!

So Red Bull didn’t adopt the water slide! They don’t even need to at this time since they are clearly ahead in the championship! But I expect to see that development in the RB20!
But Mercedes didn't come up with this in Monaco update.

The two are nothing alike in aero, apart being in the same-ish location on tub by adherence to the rulebook.

deadhead

BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

Its not in any way comparable to the Mercedes Mid-Wing apart from the fact that it is shaped in an a aerofoil, likely to get cleaner air in to the inlet.