2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

FittingMechanics wrote:
20 Jul 2023, 10:39
I see that many claim McLaren ran a low DF setup in Silverstone? Is that really true? McLaren was fastest in high speed corners which indicate that they had a lot of downforce in those corners allowing them to change direction easier than Mercedes. McLaren didn't seem to be amazing on the straights, especially compared to Red Bull. Even Hamilton did not say it is fast in the straights, he just couldn't follow McLaren through the high speed twisty bits. Also I think that looking at rear wings at the start of the weekend you could see McLaren having a bigger rear wing.

I know that it doesn't really make sense - high DF but bad in slow corners but that may be because slower parts required more change of direction (not just point and shoot like Austria).
To be clear, I simply stated that Lando was running Less DF, not a low downforce setup.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

willmesquita

Just saw that weather forecast is hot + rain at Budapest from Friday to Sunday.
To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone. ― Bruce McLaren

papayaorange.com.br

Macafangrskg
Macafangrskg

willmesquita wrote:
20 Jul 2023, 14:24
Just saw that weather forecast is hot + rain at Budapest from Friday to Sunday.
https://www.accuweather.com/en/hu/mogyo ... st/1253586

Compared to other years you can call it hotter .With max 30 in the air the asphalt will reach 41 to 45

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

Lando saying no new parts this weekend in his interview with F1TV. Is this confirmed? Thought Stella said there were mechanical changes this weekend, or is it under the skin/very subtle to the point Lando doesn't consider it an upgrade per se? Would be a shame if not, would've liked to build more on the recent momentum asap.

blastdoman
blastdoman

It seems that the updates have been postponed until after the summer.

https://www.auto-motor-und-
sport.de/formel-1/mclaren-verschiebt-dritte-ausbaustufe-gp-ungarn-2023-budapest

CjC
CjC

Stella did say before Silverstone that they might not bring anything to Hungary but only last week he said they would bring an upgrade to improve race pace.🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️
Just a fan's point of view

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

CjC wrote:
20 Jul 2023, 20:19
Stella did say before Silverstone that they might not bring anything to Hungary but only last week he said they would bring an upgrade to improve race pace.🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️
Would appreciate more clarity but oh well, Stella's doing a fantastic job so far all things considered. Seems to be a bit eager with his words sometimes so maybe that's where the confusion lies, or maybe a change of plan indeed. Either way, let's hope the existing package goes well, will be the final test round a circuit like the Hungaroring!

Macklaren
Macklaren

Really weird. I wonder what suddenly changed with the new parts plan. Lando did say just now that there were not really any new parts in SIlverstone either, which we know is not true, so maybe just being coy?

Is the parc ferme parts changes disclosure document out yet?

_cerber1

Mechanical upgrades were planned for Hungary, which may not be visible, because. be inside the car.

CjC
CjC

Macklaren wrote:
20 Jul 2023, 21:16
Really weird. I wonder what suddenly changed with the new parts plan. Lando did say just now that there were not really any new parts in SIlverstone either, which we know is not true, so maybe just being coy?

Very odd if he said that about Silverstone
Just a fan's point of view

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

They want to extract more performance from what has already been brought to the track. Well, okay. If they found something in the settings on the simulator, maybe it makes some sense.

So this package, in its 75% of the total, turned out to be so good that they really found additional performance at the base after the race. In any case, there is more downforce and stability, so the Hungaroring will be a good test. The team decided not to waste time finding and adapting the remaining 25% of updates, instead focusing on work.

I mentioned earlier that Lando only had one training session in Austria to sort out the balance and the balance was not optimal back then, you can see it on the onboard. In Britain it was much better, the car was more stable and in my opinion the balance was not bad. Lando confirmed this to the race engineer. Perhaps they are just as curious how the updated bottom will behave, pontoons (sidepods) with maximum downforce, because this option has never been on the track before. For the future, this may allow them to squeeze more performance out of the remaining 25% of the updates they were supposed to bring to Hungary.

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

CjC wrote:
20 Jul 2023, 21:39
Macklaren wrote:
20 Jul 2023, 21:16

Very odd if he said that about Silverstone
He just said they weren't significant compared to Austria

It makes sense to me that they're postponing the upgrade considering they don't fully understand the full impact of the changes yet.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Was it not just a front wing in Silverstone?
A lion must kill its prey.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

AR3-GP wrote:
20 Jul 2023, 22:36
Was it not just a front wing in Silverstone?
https://ibb.co/YDRmBGp

MrGapes

LionsHeart wrote:
20 Jul 2023, 13:39
MrGapes wrote:
20 Jul 2023, 13:03
LionsHeart wrote:
20 Jul 2023, 10:56

Let me explain: the general specification of the McLaren rear wing has not changed since the Canadian Grand Prix. The differences were minimal and only concerned the trimming of the upper flap at Lando at Silverstone. I've posted pictures here before, you can check them out. The updated front wing on Lando's car was also tuned for less downforce than Oscar's. The maximum speed differed on average by 1-3 km/h without DRS and 1 km/h with DRS.
They ran a larger wing in Canada, as well as different beamwing configurations.
https://ibb.co/55PbXgQ
https://ibb.co/gZZQq0X
These photos are from a race in Canada. Now compare that to wings from Austria and Silverstone. I'm waiting for your arguments. I assure you, these are the same rear wings.
:lol: Chill... apologies yes its the same rear wing...