2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Did McLaren continue from where they finished the last race?

djos

LionsHeart wrote:
21 Jul 2023, 14:55

The last 10 minutes were crazy! Lando was sliding all over the place for most of it.
"In downforce we trust"

Slahinki
Slahinki

Ground Effect wrote:
21 Jul 2023, 14:49
BMMR61 wrote:
21 Jul 2023, 13:37
Ground Effect wrote:
21 Jul 2023, 11:55

James Key joined in 2019, Fernando left at the end of the 2018 season.
Regarding Key’s impact on car concepts his joining in 2019 meant his first design was meant to be the 2020 car. However the FIA restrictions on development in combination with the change to Mercedes PU meant the 35M was largely a repowered MCL35. So James Key’s first clean sheet designed McLaren was the evolutionary 2021 which was a gentle improvement on its predecessor. last year’s dismal car was most definitely not an improvement in the first year of the ground effect cars. His second go was equally poor and internal rumblings it now seems were at play late last year. The current car is doing pretty well for a “band aid” car, arguably because the primary cause of the poor performance was a lack of aero integration. The handling issue complained of won’t be resolved until, at the earliest, a clean sheet design is introduced next year. I imagine the team are learning an awful lot from the successful change of direction they have taken.
The first car to be overseen by Key was the MCL35, the 2020 car. There were no FIA restrictions then, that came during the covid disrupted season in 2020 for the 2021 car, where the token system was introduced, but McLaren had to give up theirs in exchange for switching to the Mercedes PU.
Yes, but the MCL35 was just a conceptual continuation of the concept introduced with the MCL33 by Tim Goss and Matt Morris, and fixed by Pat Fry for the MCL34. The first car whose concept was entirely Keys, was the MCL36 of last year.

mwillems

It's good to see a decent position in the leaderboard today, but as always we don't know fuel loads and how much the drivers were pushing etc. But it's good to see the car still giving a good showing in the wet in this new configuration. It helps that the two drivers are proficient in these conditions and this I think is part of it.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

geogate
geogate

looked like they were just having a bit of fun out there, otherwise meaningless

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Slahinki wrote:
21 Jul 2023, 15:17
Ground Effect wrote:
21 Jul 2023, 14:49
BMMR61 wrote:
21 Jul 2023, 13:37

Regarding Key’s impact on car concepts his joining in 2019 meant his first design was meant to be the 2020 car. However the FIA restrictions on development in combination with the change to Mercedes PU meant the 35M was largely a repowered MCL35. So James Key’s first clean sheet designed McLaren was the evolutionary 2021 which was a gentle improvement on its predecessor. last year’s dismal car was most definitely not an improvement in the first year of the ground effect cars. His second go was equally poor and internal rumblings it now seems were at play late last year. The current car is doing pretty well for a “band aid” car, arguably because the primary cause of the poor performance was a lack of aero integration. The handling issue complained of won’t be resolved until, at the earliest, a clean sheet design is introduced next year. I imagine the team are learning an awful lot from the successful change of direction they have taken.
The first car to be overseen by Key was the MCL35, the 2020 car. There were no FIA restrictions then, that came during the covid disrupted season in 2020 for the 2021 car, where the token system was introduced, but McLaren had to give up theirs in exchange for switching to the Mercedes PU.
Yes, but the MCL35 was just a conceptual continuation of the concept introduced with the MCL33 by Tim Goss and Matt Morris, and fixed by Pat Fry for the MCL34. The first car whose concept was entirely Keys, was the MCL36 of last year.
👍
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

djos wrote:
21 Jul 2023, 14:57
LionsHeart wrote:
21 Jul 2023, 14:55

The last 10 minutes were crazy! Lando was sliding all over the place for most of it.
Ah, I saw. I already thought the whole training would be dull, but the ending turned out to be at least some interesting.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Early signs are good here guys- right at the head of the cluster of Aston and Ferrari on medium runs.

Suggests to me the car should be decent across most tracks now.

Let’s see as things ramp up but a good sign I hope.

Suspect quali will be very small margins for us all in the cluster behind Max.

Seerix
Seerix

I noticed we hear Jose more and more on Lando's radio even though Will is present in the garage. Some change in positions going on?

Macklaren
Macklaren

LEC same time as NOR on Softs. I think NOR had a poor S3 as well. Looks good chaps!

Macklaren
Macklaren

Would be something if a Mclaren finishes P2 in both FP1 and FP2. Sort of like Silverstone! Poor Oscar picked up diffuser damage in FP2

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

It is much easier to have a "good handling car" if you have plenty of pace in hand. I'm sure Lando would have no issues driving MCL60 to a WDC if it was a second a lap faster than the rest.

I understand that it may not be fully suited to his driving style but I think the issues get overblown because the car does not have enough pace. If it had more pace they could run a compromise setup and solve some of the issues.

I believe things will improve over next years with good signings McLaren made.

f1rules
f1rules

well, the "excuses/reservations" becomes less and less, with every training. It really looks like overall a huge step. Two things, its reasonably cold still i think and like others mentioned, this is a pure df track meaning just bolt on as much df as possible and balance the car, there is no real downside. The last and final test, until we can 100% sign of the upgrade for being one of the biggest in memory, are tracks where you need find the best compromise between straightline speed and downforce, thats where mclaren in recent years struggled, and then hot weather and long medium speed corners. But definitly its looks impressive. Nicolas kiesa just mentioned on Danish tv that Norris was fastets in long run on 17 laps old soft, lets see final confirmatio from complete lap analysis but still

haza
haza

Riding onboard with Norris the car is glued to the asphalt floor was scraping nearly the entire lap

McL-H
McL-H

I do notice a lot of understeer on Norris his onboard.