2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
MTL79
MTL79

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Hopefully Bridgestone can come back into F1...

scuderiabrandon

-T11 snap, explains the deficit there. Uses throttle to correct it.
-T9 looked fine, not sure where the speed deficit comes from there.
-Wide in T2, loses a bit there.
-Later on throtle in T14.

McLaren draggy on the straights, not that it matters much here. Surprised by the low speed performance from them. Obviously no idea where Red Bull and Mercedes are lining up. Aston Martin don't look threatening.

scuderiabrandon

dialtone
dialtone

scuderiabrandon wrote:
If they are just 0.3 behind it would be a miracle compared to early season.

scuderiabrandon

dialtone wrote:
21 Jul 2023, 19:30
scuderiabrandon wrote:
If they are just 0.3 behind it would be a miracle compared to early season.
Some traffic aswell. But RB are very conservative in my opinion. Probably very heavy on fuel would be my guess.

Iit looks really hard to recover the tyre after they overheat. So managing that will be key if my reading of the situation is correct. I don't know how they drop off 0.8s in 2 laps. All drivers have a drop off of 0.5-0.8s (depending on compound) after a quick lap.

JPower
JPower

McLaren looks like the real deal if those runs are true to form. 3 very different tracks they are showing pace at.

scuderiabrandon

JPower wrote:
21 Jul 2023, 20:19
McLaren looks like the real deal if those runs are true to form. 3 very different tracks they are showing pace at.
I agree I think they've made huge progress. They are competitive in the low speed and faster than RB in the high speed corners. They are still on the draggy side though. Reducing drag whilst keeping downforce is extremely hard thing to go do. Its something Ferrari struggled to do, Aston Martin are currently struggling to do, Mercedes struggle to do. Only RB have really nailed the Cd/Cl ratio without compromising too much.

scuderiabrandon

If qualy comes around and this is the top speed pecking order, just shows how much room they have to add downforce in this max downforce configuration.

Xyz22
Xyz22

scuderiabrandon wrote:
21 Jul 2023, 20:39

If qualy comes around and this is the top speed pecking order, just shows how much room they have to add downforce in this max downforce configuration.
Leclerc tried to add more load to the FW during the session but actually went "overboard" with it and had to re adjust. The car is already at the limit in that sense i think.

scuderiabrandon

I can't be the only one that thinks SF-23 has the room to move towards the RB19 letterbox inlet design. Seeing the constant tweaking from RB in this area there obviously has to be a substantial gain. Assuming it is benefical to the SF-23 ofcourse. I know we rely a bit more on sidepod cooling and less on center line cooling so that could be the limiting factor here.

Tweaking the aspect ratio of the inlet could be an easy way to increase the sidepod undercut without being limited by the SIS bulge. Obviously increasing the aspect ratio means there won't be a significant reduction in massflow through the inlet. There is also room to raise the inlet to sit flush with the top of the chassis (as seen on the RB19) but that might require a new sidepod entirely.

This area is quite modular aswell with the inlet itself being a completely seperate section from the sidepod. The S-duct inlet could also be narrowed since it would increase in height, if that is considered an unwanted effect.

Vanja #66

Yes, it looks like Ferrari will be going towards RB-like sidepod front end and the letterbox is the logical development route. It all started with SF70 in 2017, it's only natural for Ferrari to make some modifications in that direction. The rear end of the sidepods will be more interesting, I don't think Ferrari will be swithcing to fully downwashing sidepod rear just like that, unless they make that switch later this season and establish if it works for them.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

JordanMugen

Vanja #66 wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 08:48
Yes, it looks like Ferrari will be going towards RB-like sidepod front end and the letterbox is the logical development route.
What's the advantage of the current style of rounded, tapered back inlet used by Ferrari (and AlphaTauri)?

Is the "overspill" intended to be directed out laterally on the Ferrari design, compared to the top on the Red Bull design? :?:

Farnborough
Farnborough

JordanMugen wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 09:55
Vanja #66 wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 08:48
Yes, it looks like Ferrari will be going towards RB-like sidepod front end and the letterbox is the logical development route.
What's the advantage of the current style of rounded, tapered back inlet used by Ferrari (and AlphaTauri)?

Is the "overspill" intended to be directed out laterally on the Ferrari design, compared to the top on the Red Bull design? :?:
I really think Ferrari had this in early iteration in their hands with the SF71 etc (I've noted this on other thread and AN interest in it when contemporary) as more surface extraction appears less draggy.

The current SF23 design, and others like it, will ultimately not direct the external flow apart from out the side as the airflow balks through internal passage. It should start to form a higher pressure cone in front of the inlet, the direction of which this bleeds away is fairly uncontrolled and dependent on flow above and below it.

The extended underbite type fundamentally splits the airflow first in proportion to how the designers want it too. The internal balking of air as road speed rises then forces the intake into higher pressure and only flows over the top the surplus that doesn't go down the hole.

It's remarkable in similarity to fast jet engine intake that's subjected to slow down of intake airflow (it's the opposite way in orientation in this case, upside down to F1 car) in which case on aircraft it gives lift through that difference. On the track in F1 I believe it can give downward load in these scenarios at maximum speeds.

It seems effective, efficient and likely to produce downforce too, seems far more important to me than people's assumptions that the sidepods don't make a difference. Sure the floor and wings are doing the gruntwork of loading the chassis, but this is playing a very significant part to overall design concept.

JPower
JPower

Was expecting a little more out of this car today.

dialtone
dialtone

Sadly car wasn't good enough today... Not enough downforce to keep the tires in the window through the lap.