Mercedes W14

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: Mercedes W14

AMG.Tzan wrote:
20 Jul 2023, 20:28
So they’ve brought the classic start-of-2022 high downforce rear wing with new endplates! Rear downforce is their problem right now so this might help a bit…
Yeah, but what are they going to be like on that reasonably long straight which is the only overtaking opportunity? No good being quick everywhere else if you can't overtake the guy ahead on the straight, or defend the guy behind.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

pursue_one's

Update:
- Front Wing Endplate
- Front Suspension (Inboard suspension - Camber Reduction)
- Rear Wing Tip

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

pursue_one's wrote:
21 Jul 2023, 11:17
Update:
- Front Wing Endplate
- Rear Wing Tip

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F1jHXEUX0AAX8dp?format=jpg

I've always suspected that the front suspension arm positioning had a significant aerodynamic rationale. If you look at a different leading car, the entire upper wishbone is parallel with the floor leading edge.

atanatizante

AR3-GP wrote:
21 Jul 2023, 13:24
pursue_one's wrote:
21 Jul 2023, 11:17
Update:
- Front Wing Endplate
- Rear Wing Tip

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F1jHXEUX0AAX8dp?format=jpg

I've always suspected that the front suspension arm positioning had a significant aerodynamic rationale. If you look at a different leading car, the entire upper wishbone is parallel with the floor leading edge.
If you look at the front view of the car according to one aerodynamicist the main plane front wing works in synergy with the lower wishbone (both front and rear) and the leading edge of the entrance onto the Venturi tunnels, at least in RB19's case. This is one (and maybe the biggest) reason why it could provide constant airflow in these tunnels hence almost constant downforce levels across all kinds of corners the car is travelling at.
Last edited by atanatizante on 21 Jul 2023, 15:40, edited 1 time in total.
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

atanatizante

Besides the cutout wing tip endplate, there is a new connection point between the DRS flap and the main plane, something that the Alpha Tauri car has also here?
Jesus

atanatizante

Jesus

pursue_one's

zibby43
zibby43

Is the FW just flap angle adjustment?

JordanMugen

AMG.Tzan wrote:
21 Jul 2023, 16:04
I never said that though! All I'm saying is that I expected Mercedes to introduce a similar [Red Bull] sidepod-sidepod inlet at Monaco!

Well they didn't...
They can't as Mercedes have the side impact structure at the top, rather than lower down in the middle (and further back).

Farnborough
Farnborough

JordanMugen wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 13:38
AMG.Tzan wrote:
21 Jul 2023, 16:04
I never said that though! All I'm saying is that I expected Mercedes to introduce a similar [Red Bull] sidepod-sidepod inlet at Monaco!

Well they didn't...
They can't as Mercedes have the side impact structure at the top, rather than lower down in the middle (and further back).
It's not easy to tell, but that may not be the case.

The MB SIP top location "appears" to be located in similar placing (unsure if exact ruling forces this) to others. Look at the furthest rear and lowest point of midwing on W13 as it looks to contain, hence cross sectional form, that SIP in much the same place as all the others.

BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

organic wrote:
20 Jul 2023, 17:58
Similar to the Alpha Tauri's new concept. Maybe this it the better design for the high downforce configuration, rather than maximising the endplate space as Mercedes had previously done.

Farnborough
Farnborough

Interesting when they dump a whole load of wing on this concept W13/14 it starts to come alive ? Suggesting that the rest of the aero can't match the alternative platform.

Here and in higher altitude circuit it seems the same. Not efficient, but certainly gives load. If they can manage the drag penalty within circuit characteristics it offers decent pace.

Accepting that FIA mandated lift etc has played a part in porpoising, this circuit does suit it.

Acid test is usually Belgium, if it doesn't go backwards there, that would show genuine progress.

LeveragedTiger

Farnborough wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 21:15
Interesting when they dump a whole load of wing on this concept W13/14 it starts to come alive ? Suggesting that the rest of the aero can't match the alternative platform.

Here and in higher altitude circuit it seems the same. Not efficient, but certainly gives load. If they can manage the drag penalty within circuit characteristics it offers decent pace.

Accepting that FIA mandated lift etc has played a part in porpoising, this circuit does suit it.

Acid test is usually Belgium, if it doesn't go backwards there, that would show genuine progress.
Think it just emphasizes that Mercedes still don’t understand floor downforce well enough, and can compensate for that loss with barn door wings when the drag penalty is lower.

Interesting that in the final corner, Hamilton was fighting rear instability though. The Red Bull looked comparatively serene.

ringo

Maybe the rear wing modification has increased rear load, which was this car's main weakness in terms of balance.
For Sure!!

myurr
myurr

LeveragedTiger wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 22:48
Think it just emphasizes that Mercedes still don’t understand floor downforce well enough, and can compensate for that loss with barn door wings when the drag penalty is lower.

Interesting that in the final corner, Hamilton was fighting rear instability though. The Red Bull looked comparatively serene.
Hamilton said that he was caught by a crosswind that unsettled the car in the final corner. The Red Bull had issues earlier in the lap, so it wasn't plain sailing stability wise for them.

They understand floor downforce well enough to take pole on merit and to be the most consistent challenger across the season. They're a good step back from Red Bull but their season has ebbed and flowed less than other teams.