2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

mwillems wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 16:54
SmallSoldier wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 16:45
mwillems wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 16:43

It seems better here than on the high speed corners, have you ever seen an upgrade so strong as this? I cannot in my life think of another upgrade as effective as this.
If as implied by the team, this is what they were working on since the end of last year… It is not that surprising of a jump, it is a “Winter Jump” done in-season
To the front of the grid almost? Even in winter it is mighty. Look at how everyone spoke of AM at the start and they were still trailing RB.

This is orders of magnitude better and the team have even been surprised.

Peter Prodmorou, you have everyone's thanks.
The improvement is definitely amazing and I’m not trying to undermine the effort and the magnitude of it… All I’m saying is that this is not your normal in-season development, this is the result of approximately 6 months of work and instead of an iteration of their concept (which is the normal for in-season development) it is the result of a complete concept change, therefore more akin to a Winter improvement (new car).

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
14 Jul 2023, 22:47
McLaren doesn't have much trouble in slow corners that go fast. The problem they have in slow long turns, of which there are many in Hungary. I hope for the best that the update package will still help to solve at least some of these problems, and like everyone else, I will wait for free practices to see what's what. Again, the Hungaroring is not the most fast track and everyone will try to tune the chassis with an eye to qualification. But if, in addition, there is hot weather, then this will be a strong test for the updated McLaren chassis. As an old fan of this Team, I hope for the best.
OK, so I know I said wait till Sunday, but if you'd like I'm more than happy to pick this up early :wink:
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Wow, just wow. What an upgrade.

Less than a tenth to pole on a track that is not suited to the car.

Marc.W

2nd row lock out, and I'm very excited for Spa now!

Slahinki
Slahinki

Really close to pole, and both cars ahead of the other Red Bull. What an improvement!

Xero

So close! All 2nd row, I'll take that!

Darth-Piekus

Lewis Hamilton on Pole. Norris was very close on pole also. Less than a tenth but way faster on mediums than both Hamilton and Verstappen. Tomorrow is gonna be an interesting race.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Fantastic result for McLaren, yes starting 3rd and 4th, but who would have even consider a result like this at the beginning of the season?… Simply fantastic

Ben1980
Ben1980

3 and 4th is great...3rd and 4th is slightly disappointing.... never thought that would be the case a few weeks back.

3,2,3 in the last 3 qualifying ? This car is pretty pretty good.

CjC
CjC

Amazing. Just amazing

I had a feeling the medium would be better for Mclaren.
Just a fan's point of view

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Very very nice lap there from Lando. I genuinely don’t think there was much more in it. Improved every single sector. Perhaps the middle sector where PIA was just under 0.1s quicker than NOR but the tyres might not have held on in S3. Stunning performance. Let’s go!

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Darth-Piekus wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 16:39
That picture seeing Lando Norris comfortably 2 tenths faster than Max Verstappen is like a dream. What can I say. Lando didn't need another lap and Piastri didn't need to do another. Mclaren have turned things around.
The technical restructuring looks to have paid off for McLaren. Not sure if Lando can get pole, but he shouldn't be far off the Red Bulls.
Did they bring any other upgrades on this GP?
No due to production lead times the final part of this upgrade package that was planned to be introduced
in this round has been delayed. Which isn't a bad thing really, the current bits of the upgrade package are working well. https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/mclar ... /10498175/

Only question about the final part of this upgrade package is if it will get McLaren closer to Red Bull or not.

foxivan
foxivan

fantastic qualy result from both drivers,game on tomorrow.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Darth-Piekus wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 17:03
Lewis Hamilton on Pole. Norris was very close on pole also. Less than a tenth but way faster on mediums than both Hamilton and Verstappen. Tomorrow is gonna be an interesting race.
Great point. If we get another great start it could be a great race.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Marc.W wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 17:02
2nd row lock out, and I'm very excited for Spa now!
Spa is my biggest concern… A good result in Spa would be the defining moment, that should be the track where they could struggle the most.

But let’s celebrate this Qualy first!