2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

SmallSoldier wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 16:58
mwillems wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 16:54
SmallSoldier wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 16:45

If as implied by the team, this is what they were working on since the end of last year… It is not that surprising of a jump, it is a “Winter Jump” done in-season
To the front of the grid almost? Even in winter it is mighty. Look at how everyone spoke of AM at the start and they were still trailing RB.

This is orders of magnitude better and the team have even been surprised.

Peter Prodmorou, you have everyone's thanks.
The improvement is definitely amazing and I’m not trying to undermine the effort and the magnitude of it… All I’m saying is that this is not your normal in-season development, this is the result of approximately 6 months of work and instead of an iteration of their concept (which is the normal for in-season development) it is the result of a complete concept change, therefore more akin to a Winter improvement (new car).
Yeah this has definitely been brewing since testing, which is I think the point at which Stella said they realised they had to completely redesign the aero so has been 5 months in the making.

But this is beyond any fans wildest dreams, this car is top 3 and at some tracks is top 2, let's see which track it can be top 1.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

MrGapes

ahhh tbh it wasn't a great lap from Lando... Pole was definitely in sight.

Positive side. LANDO HAS NEW MED for tomorrow WOOO

proteus

Wow, this is a fantastic result. Hopefully they can carry this result over to tomorrow. Great job by everyone.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Darth-Piekus

Guys think of it like this. Red Bull brought a good upgrade as they mentioned but still Mclaren was much closer than Silverstone on the softs and beat them badly on the mediums without bringing an upgrade but just tweaking the current one. The update also made the car be fast in every kind of corner. Now the only thing that is left is find a way to reduce drag to take the top speed on par with that Red Bull DRS and better race pace. Mika Hakkinen knew that something good was brewing.

chrisgr
chrisgr

We were wondering if this can be called MCL60B. Its obvious that it's MCL61!!!

Darth-Piekus

Well it is a Mclaren60B as I said some races before. The Mclaren 61 hasn't started yet. Out of curiosity. Oscar Piastri had the fastest second sector. Where did he lost all that time in the last sector?

mwillems

Mclaren will be learning this package over the races and there will likely be time still in this car yet as they learn how to set it up better and extract the speed.

-Bandit

organic

The car is amazing. Simply put

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 17:05
Marc.W wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 17:02
2nd row lock out, and I'm very excited for Spa now!
Spa is my biggest concern… A good result in Spa would be the defining moment, that should be the track where they could struggle the most.

But let’s celebrate this Qualy first!
I was thinking about point and squirt tracks, why do you think Spa will be a worry? The straights?

-Bandit

continuum16

mwillems wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 17:05
SmallSoldier wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 16:58
mwillems wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 16:54

Yeah this has definitely been brewing since testing, which is I think the point at which Stella said they realised they had to completely redesign the aero so has been 5 months in the making.

But this is beyond any fans wildest dreams, this car is top 3 and at some tracks is top 2, let's see which track it can be top 1.
I would have Suzuka circled if I were them… S1 will be crazy if this trend continues *and* they bring more updates. I’d be tempted to say Austin as well. And also Qatar.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

organic

I thought Spa would be a good one for McLaren. Tracks with more medium/high speed should suit the car.

Qatar & Suzuka are chances for wins IMO

Macklaren
Macklaren

Phenomenal result! Congrats to the team and everyone on here!!

P1-2 in Spa with the final upgrade, right?

runningmanz
runningmanz

Excellent work McLaren team for these awesome updates and Lando and Oscar today! The pace is real! P3 and P4 woohoo! Can't wait for the race tomorrow!

Xero

Lando saving a set of mediums in Q2 could be crucial tomorrow. Not sure of the tyre situation, but could give him an edge off the line if nobody else has a fresh set.

mwillems

organic wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 17:17
I thought Spa would be a good one for McLaren. Tracks with more medium/high speed should suit the car.

Qatar & Suzuka are chances for wins IMO
It'll be a test of the Aero efficiency for sure, not sure there is enough evidence to understand so far just how slippy this car can be and still maintain decent downforce for the high downforce sequences. The track is like an extreme Silverstone in it's characteristics and mix of corners, but bigger. Longer corners too, quite extreme Gs on the tyres in fact.

-Bandit