New Formula Renault 2.0 is ...

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
NormalChris
NormalChris

New Formula Renault 2.0 is ...

Renault switched from Tatuus to a company, i forget the name of but has something to do with Caparo who I think is doing the manufacturing. Anyway in my opinion the current cars look great for a lower formule. IMO the new ones look like garbage aesthetically. Im wondering what is up with this new design. The nose is strangely cone tapered and the upper front wing is odd. Also the sidepods are very very wide.

What do you think is going on with this design? If I was Renault I would be pissed at the looks of this thing.

http://www.renault-sport.com/en/world_s ... tartpage=1

Scotracer
Scotracer

Re: New Formula Renalut 2.0 is ...

What the hell is the nose about? #-o

I never really got that interested in FR2.0 since the engines are less race-bred than the one in my road car...
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

PlatinumZealot

Looks like a swan.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Racing Green in 2028

Steven
Owner

Re: New Formula Renault 2.0 is ...

Not bad, I think it's good that series cars have their own visual differences so that you can quickly decide from an image which series it is about. The attachment to the front wing is also interesting, having both vertical as well as sloped pillars to the nose cone.

Something else is the location of the engine. I'm not sure how this was in previous Renault 2.0 cars, but this engine is located remarkably high in the chassis.

modbaraban
modbaraban

The livery is fantastic! And the whole car looks sleek and racey, but the nose... :sick:
n smikle wrote:Looks like a swan.
If I try to describe what it looks like and what I think of it Ciro will censor it out anyway. #-o

NormalChris
NormalChris

Ya like i said i dont think its great looking but it is a good point that its good to have a car that differentiates it from other classes.
I cant imagine why they would need sidepods this big.

Comparo

Edit

Now that im thinking about it,when I was looking through pictures of the current car most of them showed tape over the sidepod inlets which makes me even more confused.
Maybe it has something to do with it being a spec formula in that it dosnt matter whether the cars are extracting the maximum performance.

ISLAMATRON

it is more of a safety feature, preventing the interlocking of tires

talking about the big sidepods...

plus they add more side protection for the drivers

Scuderia_Russ

NormalChris wrote:
Now that im thinking about it,when I was looking through pictures of the current car most of them showed tape over the sidepod inlets which makes me even more confused.
It is quite common for us to tape up sidepods (usually on the oil cooler side) if the ambient temperature is quite low and we need to get oil / water into its optimum temperature operating range.
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

Scuderia_Russ

Tomba wrote:Not bad, I think it's good that series cars have their own visual differences so that you can quickly decide from an image which series it is about. The attachment to the front wing is also interesting, having both vertical as well as sloped pillars to the nose cone.

Something else is the location of the engine. I'm not sure how this was in previous Renault 2.0 cars, but this engine is located remarkably high in the chassis.

This is part of the problem with using road car variant angines. The six speed Sadev gearboxes are really good bits of kit. We run the same 'box on our baby endurance prototypes.
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

Do they still have monoshock front?

The new car looks like it might be making more downforce? The floor looks more aggressive than before....overall though the car somewhat reminds me of the 1st gen A1 GP car, not necessarily in look, but in strangeness....