2023 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 21 - 23

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Zynerji

Re: 2023 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 21 - 23

Lando for the win! 🥳🥳

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Aesop wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 20:03
AR3-GP wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 19:56
search wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 19:41

Hamilton seems to think so. DRS advantage gone, according to him

I think it has never worked as well on Red Bull's high downforce wing, though?!
RB never had a DRS advantage when they run their max high downforce wings. This trend was also present last year.

Hamilton is simply mistaken about his conclusions.
Great qualifying session, just a shame Lewis is playing politics in stead of just enjoying his pole.
Tomorrow he can hopefully stay ahead and give Max a rum for his money, though Max will probably be ahead after the first pitstops. Should be quite interesting battle for p2 after that though.
Lewis isn't playing politics, he's playing mind games with Max. With the aim to push Max into doing something foolish at the start that gives Lewis a better chance of winning the race. Though Max will probably win it and wait for the DRS to come into play if he's not leading the race out of the first corner.

We'll find out in Spa if the DRS advantage has gone or if it's still there.

chrisc90

taperoo2k wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 20:19

Lewis isn't playing politics, he's playing mind games with Max. With the aim to push Max into doing something foolish at the start that gives Lewis a better chance of winning the race. Though Max will probably win it and wait for the DRS to come into play if he's not leading the race out of the first corner.

I really dont think mind games affect Max. He's never been the guy to be affected by the mind games from others. 2021 was a example of that. Max just gets in the car and drives it to the best he can.

The DRS will be interesting tomorrow. Is there any speed differentials between DRS on/off down the main straight between teams?

I dare bet overtaking into turn 1 will be easy enough with the DRS on.

codetower

Aesop wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:
search wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 19:41

Hamilton seems to think so. DRS advantage gone, according to him

I think it has never worked as well on Red Bull's high downforce wing, though?!
RB never had a DRS advantage when they run their max high downforce wings. This trend was also present last year.

Great qualifying session, just a shame Lewis is playing politics in stead of just enjoying his pole.
Tomorrow he can hopefully stay ahead and give Max a rum for his money, though Max will probably be ahead after the first pitstops. Should be quite interesting battle for p2 after that though.
Eh, the man was just excited. It’s been a while since he was on pole.

Is it possible though that RB’s upgrades didn’t work as expected?

As far as the new format, it definitely worked. 7 different constructors in the top 10.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

codetower wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 20:25
Aesop wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

Eh, the man was just excited. It’s been a while since he was on pole.

As far as the new format, it definitely worked. 7 different constructors in the top 10.
Verstappen would have 1-2 tenths if he simply did a personal best in each sector. He also said the upgrades worked but that the car balance was the problem over 1 lap. Their long runs have been strong. Sometimes circuit characteristics do not bring out the best of a car. It was similar when they brough the update in Baku, but we didn't see Max really wreak havoc with it until Miami.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

chrisc90 wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 20:23
taperoo2k wrote:

I really dont think mind games affect Max. He's never been the guy to be affected by the mind games from others. 2021 was a example of that. Max just gets in the car and drives it to the best he can.

The DRS will be interesting tomorrow. Is there any speed differentials between DRS on/off down the main straight between teams?

I dare bet overtaking into turn 1 will be easy enough with the DRS on.
You can't blame Lewis for trying, there were Lewis is concerned Max does get a bit aggravated. I'd guess that while Lewis will go for the win if it's on the table (max has an issue etc) then he'll likely settle for 2nd place. Which should make it a very interesting battle between Lewis, Lando and Oscar.

the EDGE
the EDGE

codetower wrote:
This is not the first time we’ve had 7 teams in q3

Incognito
Incognito

chrisc90 wrote:
Everyone is vulnerable to mind games, and 2021 is a terrible example of Verstappen driving around serenely (Brazil, Saudi Arabia, etc).

Verstappen will still win tomorrow and will still dominate the season. Today was just an unfortunate confluence of events and variables for him, sort of thing that happens once a season. Run this weekend five times, Red Bull are comfortably on pole four of those times.

search

codetower wrote:
with the reduced practice time, it's very well possible that Red Bull didn't get to nail the setup for it, at least.

On German Sky they mentioned that the rear of the car looks less stable than it usually does. But it's not like they are very knowledgeable, so I wouldn't take it as a fact.

I don't think Red Bull's longrun was particularly strong either, btw. Not in comparison to their usual pace, at least.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

search wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 20:36
codetower wrote:
with the reduced practice time, it's very well possible that Red Bull didn't get to nail the setup for it, at least.

On German Sky they mentioned that the rear of the car looks less stable than it usually does. But it's not like they are very knowledgeable, so I wouldn't take it as a fact.

I don't think Red Bull's longrun was particularly strong either, btw. Not in comparison to their usual pace, at least.
It's also possible that the car would be like this with the old package. We won't ever know. With the tire rules they couldn't waste any time doig back to backs. We rarely see back to back testing anymore. they could split the cars in free practice but Perez can ill afford to not have upgrades nor would he be a representative benchmark for the upgrades...quite the conundrum..

morefirejules08
morefirejules08

chrisc90 wrote:
taperoo2k wrote:

I really dont think mind games affect Max. He's never been the guy to be affected by the mind games from others. 2021 was an example of that. Max just gets in the car and drives it to the best he can.
😂😂😂 I mean that is demonstrably wrong.

chrisc90

Taperoo2k - True. I think in the heat of it - Max probably did get a little aggrieved in 2021. There was a WDC on the line and it was Max's first. I think anyone can understand the pressure and determination to do everything you can to get your ultimate goal. 2022/23 comes round I think Max has changed his mindset and driving style a lot. We know he can race good and hard when required, but I also think he knows its best not to risk throwing away points and come 2nd than not score points at all. Max will fight for the win tomorrow. Same with Lewis and Lando. Lets hope that lap 1 remains clean and we can have a proper race on our hands - as lets face it - the last 2 races have been exactly that and this weekend looks the closest of them all.

chrisc90

morefirejules08 wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 20:45
chrisc90 wrote:
taperoo2k wrote:

I really dont think mind games affect Max. He's never been the guy to be affected by the mind games from others. 2021 was an example of that. Max just gets in the car and drives it to the best he can.
😂😂😂 I mean that is demonstrably wrong.
Care to elaborate?

scuderiabrandon

With Russell and Sainz in Q3 it would've been a fairly standard qualifying. It happening on the weekend with the tyre format change is just a coincidence. McLaren confirm their jump in performance. Alfa Romeo were strong on all compounds so you can't say it was down to the format. Hulkenburg has been a mega qualifier all season again not down to the format.

Monaco also saw 7 different constructors in Q3 on a standard format with Alpine, Alpha Tauri and McLaren all being competitive. The teams in their high dwf configurations are just very close.

Aesop
Aesop

chrisc90 wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 20:51
Taperoo2k - True. I think in the heat of it - Max probably did get a little aggrieved in 2021. There was a WDC on the line and it was Max's first. I think anyone can understand the pressure and determination to do everything you can to get your ultimate goal. 2022/23 comes round I think Max has changed his mindset and driving style a lot. We know he can race good and hard when required, but I also think he knows its best not to risk throwing away points and come 2nd than not score points at all. Max will fight for the win tomorrow. Same with Lewis and Lando. Lets hope that lap 1 remains clean and we can have a proper race on our hands - as lets face it - the last 2 races have been exactly that and this weekend looks the closest of them all.
I think at the time Max was aware of Mercedes sudden engine and car advantage. He did everything he had to do to and then some. Probably crossed the line couple of times but i dont blame him. Tomorrow should be different. He has the better car so can play the long game. Lewis knows this so I dont expect any drama.