2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Balalu
Balalu

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Darth-Piekus wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 12:30
I am hearing that the rules regarding tyres changed and many claim that many teams gained something from that with Mclaren getting the most and others like Red Bull and Aston Martin losing ground. Do you think that is the case or is it because of our upgrade?
Take whatever Alonso says about his competition with a MASSIVE pinch of salt. He also said in another interview that Austria (or Silverstone?) was a one off for McLaren.
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 14:06
Darth-Piekus wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 13:51
I see. Then it is the upgrade that made the difference and not the tyres.
Austria we were P4, Silverstone P2 AND P4 in race circumstances, P2 & P3 on merit, and much closer to Max on pace. That is the tyre improvement that is helping Mclaren and Merc in Alonso's opinion, Merc having also found time vs RB from the tyres in that time.

Whether there is truth to it you can't say, but the evidence certainly suggests it may be the case, however we need more races to see if there is a pattern since Silverstone.
I think it's just the nature of car upgrades. Norris had part of the upgrade in Austria, received further upgrade in Silverstone.

Also when you get a new update, you need some time to understand the car. I am not convinced the tyre change is the reason the car is faster. Maybe it is a part of it, but it is the same for everyone.

mwillems

Balalu wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 14:35
Darth-Piekus wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 12:30
I am hearing that the rules regarding tyres changed and many claim that many teams gained something from that with Mclaren getting the most and others like Red Bull and Aston Martin losing ground. Do you think that is the case or is it because of our upgrade?
Take whatever Alonso says about his competition with a MASSIVE pinch of salt. He also said in another interview that Austria (or Silverstone?) was a one off for McLaren.
You don't think tyre construction will affect the performance of the cars?

Wasn't there an instance in recent memory of an in season change that did indeed help certain teams? Didn't i impact Merc and Ferrari in particular?

Seems odd to suggest outright that amount of doubt, given how important tyres are, being the only bridge between car and ground and the fact it made a difference the last time it happened.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

What happened at the start, I missed the first 5 minutes, Hamiton dropped back and Piastri took Norris?

Some brave souls on Softs I see.,

-Bandit

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Seems S3 on heavy fuel is the biggest weak spot for us. Very much what NOR has said all along about the low speed sections. S2 is mighty!

Darth-Piekus

Both Mclarens got Hamilton and now try to chase Verstappen.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 15:13
What happened at the start, I missed the first 5 minutes, Hamiton dropped back and Piastri took Norris?

Verstappen jumped Hamilton but in T1 they went slightly wide. This put Norris who was on the outside on the back foot compared to Piastri who then was able to run on a tighter line and overtake Hamilton for P2.

After that Norris managed to overtake Hamilton on the outside for P3.

mwillems

Bad luck not withsanding, feels like we are the 2nd fastest car.

-Bandit

Xero

Max has this in the bag barring any drama, so its all about bringing both cars home in P2/P3 now. Looking comfortable so far.

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 15:20
mwillems wrote:

Verstappen jumped Hamilton but in T1 they went slightly wide. This put Norris who was on the outside on the back foot compared to Piastri who then was able to run on a tighter line and overtake Hamilton for P2.

Thanks, good early start and we just not to push on now.

What happened to Zhou, seems to be near the back now?

-Bandit

mwillems

Xero wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 15:23
Max has this in the bag barring any drama, so its all about bringing both cars home in P2/P3 now. Looking comfortable so far.
Are you jinxing us??! lol

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

Mclaren seems to be after Red Bull nest of the rest. Now can the team bring somethimg more that will nullofy the gap to Verstappen?

ScottR267
ScottR267

X2 good pit stops especially Piastri’s

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 15:23
FittingMechanics wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 15:20
mwillems wrote:

Thanks, good early start and we just not to push on now.

What happened to Zhou, seems to be near the back now?
Zhou stalled heavily at start - then braked too late in T1 causing a crash that took out two Alpines.

Xero

Stunning pit stops again! Piasti will not be happy Lando jumped him, but team had to cover Lewis by pitting Lando first. Only fair to flip the order next time.