2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
trinidefender
trinidefender

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Piastri "it wasn't ideal to come out behind lando (talking about Lando undercutting) but when you finish 30 seconds behind it doesn't really matter"

Sounds like he knows he has work to do on his race pace.

I personally don't think he's upset at the team for the strategy call.

Darth-Piekus

I think the damage he got must have played some role with how effective aerodynamics are on a car.

willmesquita

trinidefender wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 17:28
Piastri "it wasn't ideal to come out behind lando (talking about Lando undercutting) but when you finish 30 seconds behind it doesn't really matter"

Sounds like he knows he has work to do on his race pace.

I personally don't think he's upset at the team for the strategy call.
Mature!
To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone. ― Bruce McLaren

papayaorange.com.br

Ben1980
Ben1980

Any damage, would likely have come when he went wide against Perez, and ge wad already struggling at that point.

But, he is young and learning. Lando was hardly the finished article in his debut year.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

So thankful McLaren isn't in the midfield with today's carnage that caught out the Alpjne cars. Imagine trying to fight for 8th-10th and then loosing even that opportunity.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

geogate
geogate

Spa long range looking quite cool - if they can dial in that turn 1, you never know

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Well then! I have read all the messages since the start of the race. Of course, I watched the race itself without interruption. If we take into account that this is not the most optimal track for us, add hot weather and hot asphalt, soft tire compounds, then the racing pace is high in relation to Ferrari and Aston. Mercedes racing pace comparable to McLaren. I won't say that about Red Bull. They work with tires at the highest level, we cannot do the same yet. In any case, no matter how you look at 2nd and 5th place, 28 points per race is a very good indicator. I am completely satisfied with the final protocol. We have to catch up with both Ferrari and Aston. We have the pace, we also have the speed. Our pilots are stable, they bring points. Oscar has yet to learn how to make the most of the tire's performance over the course. In Silverstone, he also could not squeeze everything out of hard tires, he could not here either. You also mentioned Zack here, saying that he damaged the bottom, as I understand it. Well, it happens. He is a beginner and will study as Lando previously studied.

Already, McLaren breaks away from Alpine by 40 points. It's impressive. Remember before Austria where we were and where we are now, but only three races have passed. At the end of each racing segment, the Mercedes is faster than the McLaren. They protect tires better, it is very noticeable. Before the start of the race, I assumed that the best option would be medium - hard - medium, in general, it turned out to be right for a number of teams, including for us. We are in the fight, the team is reborn like a phoenix. Separately, I will highlight excellently fast pitstops! It's great! The first pitstop at Lando 2.3s, the second pitstop 2.1s. The first Oscar pitstop is 2.0s, the second is 2.8s. Does anyone here on the forum remember who Andreas Seidl put in charge of pit stops? We had some bad pit stops a couple of years ago when Seidl brought in chief Andrea Stella, who was the performance engineer at the time. Last year, McLaren greatly added to this component and this year the team has become even stronger.

Summing up our words, let's hope that McLaren will perform well in the Spa. Perhaps we should wait for the final 25% of updates (but this is not certain).

organic

Sensational result and confirms that the step forward is huge and will translate to almost every circuit.

Singapore could be a problem ? But other than that I can see the car running well everywhere.

Suzuka, maybe spa & Qatar are the races I'm looking forward to the most.

Well done Lando on consecutive podiums for 1st time in his career. Piastri unlucky again with damage. But he's driving already like he's been in F1 for years

Willy
Willy

Ant was pointing on Sky that the car is working in a range of circuits, corners, compounds and temperature ranges. Austria, Silverstone and Hungary proves that the car has a broad range in performance.

chrisc90

Its actually interesting when you look at the lap time in that view.

Lap 6/7 the McLarens totally dived off a cliff on tyre performance Maybe they were brought in too hard too fast instead of bring the tyres in gently.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

chrisc90 wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 18:33
https://ibb.co/Th7QwdV

Its actually interesting when you look at the lap time in that view.

Lap 6/7 the McLarens totally dived off a cliff on tyre performance Maybe they were brought in too hard too fast instead of bring the tyres in gently.
I agree. The way NOR had to drive to pass PIA certainly didn’t help an ideal stint setup. Yes the car is harsher on it’s tyres but it’s MILES better than I thought it would be. On a high temp circuit they can mix it with the best in the field bar Red Bull. That in itself is a victory.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Today validates my point from last race that the team was too conservative by going to hard tyres for the last stint. This race they went to mediums for last stint even though it was quite long. The team will gain confidence in the car and they will take more chances in the future.

Great stuff by the team.

Tomsky
Tomsky

geogate
geogate

FittingMechanics wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 19:06
Today validates my point from last race that the team was too conservative by going to hard tyres for the last stint.
it really dosnt - it would have been a data driven decision, and they had the data

continuum16

geogate wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 19:34
FittingMechanics wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 19:06
Today validates my point from last race that the team was too conservative by going to hard tyres for the last stint.
it really dosnt - it would have been a data driven decision, and they had the data
Agreed. In free practice at Silverstone McLaren data suggested they were faster on hards vs softs over the long runs. And iirc they didn’t have a new set of softs available in Silverstone by the last pit stop anyways.

The fact that they had good degradation today on a different track and different ambient conditions with an entirely different setup is hardly related to Silverstone.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain