[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2023 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Caratecat
Caratecat

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2023 (Grand Prix Cars)

LVDH wrote:
17 Jul 2023, 19:28
Also, I think we should not go too crazy, as there is a chance this was just a joke. Why do I say that? Well, a heat exchanger is just a box with one side length of 60mm. It should be possible to design that. And if not, maybe a car is too much for this person...
Yeah I'm very sorry about that... I barely know how to use CAD software and tried making it with blender. I've been watching a lot more tutorials for Fusion 360 these days and hopefully I can create a car that won't be disqualified...

Busor
Busor

G-raph wrote:
18 Jul 2023, 22:06

Welcome to the challenge! It's nice to see some new entries. Your car looks very tidy, which is quite impressive if you have only spent 3 weeks on it. Hope it goes well.
Hi and thanks for your welcoming words. It was still a lot of hours in those 3 weeks and most of the parts are the one and only iteration I did. But I wanted to get a first entry for silverstone, which seems to have actually passed the scrutineering :-?
CAEdevice wrote:
18 Jul 2023, 23:10

Welcome! Sorry I missed your post.

Your car, considering that it has been developed in three weeks looks interesting, a good base.

If you like, please take a look to our LinkedIn page:

https://www.linkedin.com/company/mantium-challenge/
Thanks! Will firstly need to improve cooling and then look for some extra downforce those next few weeks.
I followed the linkedin, and for reference, thats where I first got to know about the challenge. I follow Max from Formula Student quite a few years back and he showed some pictures of his car.. so good job on marketing :D
Busor

LVDH

Caratecat wrote:
20 Jul 2023, 17:48
LVDH wrote:
17 Jul 2023, 19:28
Also, I think we should not go too crazy, as there is a chance this was just a joke. Why do I say that? Well, a heat exchanger is just a box with one side length of 60mm. It should be possible to design that. And if not, maybe a car is too much for this person...
Yeah I'm very sorry about that... I barely know how to use CAD software and tried making it with blender. I've been watching a lot more tutorials for Fusion 360 these days and hopefully I can create a car that won't be disqualified...
The great thing about the challenge is, your competitiveness will really motivate you to learn how to create good designs with the tool you choose in the end. I personally think Blender is a great choice as it is so easy to create very sculpted shapes. But learning a real CAD tool obviously would be very useful as well.

Busor wrote:
20 Jul 2023, 19:05
G-raph wrote:
18 Jul 2023, 22:06

Welcome to the challenge! It's nice to see some new entries. Your car looks very tidy, which is quite impressive if you have only spent 3 weeks on it. Hope it goes well.
Hi and thanks for your welcoming words. It was still a lot of hours in those 3 weeks and most of the parts are the one and only iteration I did. But I wanted to get a first entry for silverstone, which seems to have actually passed the scrutineering :-?
CAEdevice wrote:
18 Jul 2023, 23:10

Welcome! Sorry I missed your post.

Your car, considering that it has been developed in three weeks looks interesting, a good base.

If you like, please take a look to our LinkedIn page:

https://www.linkedin.com/company/mantium-challenge/
Thanks! Will firstly need to improve cooling and then look for some extra downforce those next few weeks.
I followed the linkedin, and for reference, thats where I first got to know about the challenge. I follow Max from Formula Student quite a few years back and he showed some pictures of his car.. so good job on marketing :D
Looking at the few statistics I have, I had a feeling that LinkedIn is leading to additional interest in MVRC. So great work Matteo!

G-raph

I have just noticed that the renders use the old halo (and gearbox? I can't quite tell).

Is that a mistake only in the renders (which is not a problem) or will this translate to the same issue in the real simulations?

Koldskaal

Race 2 results
MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian

variante

Once again, congratulations to GRaph! Predictable result, unfortunately for everyone else.

A 2nd place for me is what i need to keep the championship open.
However, i must say that my numbers seem odd. I expected much higher drag and downforce (same efficiency).
Nothing that would change the final order, but still...

Massive improvement from Koldskaal, taking the 3rd spot from Max. I guess should keep an eye on my mirrors.

A pity that we couldn't see CAEdevice's true performance. I bet next time he won't forget to submit pieces of his car.

CAEdevice

variante wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 22:00
A pity that we couldn't see CAEdevice's true performance. I bet next time he won't forget to submit pieces of his car.
It wouldn't be enough to get on the podium: I am a bit pessimistic for my perspectives in the challenge, but I am still working on the car to try to win at least a single race.

Congratulations to G-Raph!

yinlad

Congrats again g-raph, and wow lots of big steps this race. More dramatic changes in the works for me next race as I'll need another big step to catch CAE and Max
MVRC - Panthera

LVDH

Koldskaal wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 21:23
Race 2 results
https://youtu.be/2EEhwqqN6Nw
Super cool race. Looks like GRaph is starting to pull away.
Many thanks to Max and Christian. I am still always super happy when I see what they do. Somehow only this time, I noticed the fastest lap time presented in the video.

What I thought was interesting was how much most teams pushed to get as close as possible to the required cooling flow, getting values just slightly under the mark.

G-raph wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 01:30
I have just noticed that the renders use the old halo (and gearbox? I can't quite tell).

Is that a mistake only in the renders (which is not a problem) or will this translate to the same issue in the real simulations?
Creating the renders and simulations are (still) two separate processes. For the renders, I have a base file and add / replace common parts manually. For the simulations, I have a script that places all files. However the script is not very smart and mostly hard coded. So, it is possible that I have not added the correct parts in the simulations. I am traveling and will only be able to check in a few days. If I made such a mistake, at least it would affect everyone the same. But I can only tell when I am back. You should receive the reports today or tomorrow, those should also help.

Ft5fTL

My numbers also came lower than my sims but nothing major. Congratulations to top 3, seems like i need to step up my game massively for top 5.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

G-raph

Thanks Everyone!

Obviously very happy that I have survived the rule and parts changes without any correlation issue, I pretty much got the small efficiency improvement that I was expecting.

Nice to see Koldskaal making a big step. The race for the podium is quite exciting, and I'll have to watch my back if he and Variante find another chunk of perfomance for the next race.

Good to have Panthera joining the tight midfield fight, although I expected PurePower to lead it as I thought that car development looked quite good. Next time maybe?
And joining soon I'm sure will be Busor after an impressive debut. Just need to fix the cooling now.

And as always, great work on the video!

LVDH wrote:
24 Jul 2023, 07:19
... You should receive the reports today or tomorrow, those should also help.
Thanks for the answer. I'll let you know when I get the report.

yinlad

Just something to note, the individual Sector time screens do not match those recorded on the final 'race result' screen in the video. Not sure which is right or wrong
MVRC - Panthera

Koldskaal

yinlad wrote:
25 Jul 2023, 22:13
Just something to note, the individual Sector time screens do not match those recorded on the final 'race result' screen in the video. Not sure which is right or wrong
Thats my bad. The sector 2 timetable is the one from Monaco #-o. Race results are correct.
MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian

LVDH

Sorry guys, sending the reports totally skipped my mind. They should be out now.

G-raph

Thank you for the reports. I can confirm that the correct Halo and Gearbox were fitted, so all is well.