2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Emag
Emag

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

_cerber1 wrote:
24 Jul 2023, 10:10
Will there be suspension updates in Belgium, or after the summer break?
Nothing official so far. It was meant to come to Hungary, but it was held back as they decided its better to improve understanding of current package before making mechanical changes.

Before, Stella said that small things were planned for almost every race after Hungary, but I am not sure what that statement means or if it is still valid.

Lets wait and see I guess.

mclaren111

Emag wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 20:28
Tomsky wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 19:27
Very interesting. Lando himself said on the post race interview that for the time being, RedBull is in another league, but their time will come later in the year.

If Lando, the king of downplaying expectations, is hinting towards chances of wins later in the year, then they really must have something big cooking in the background.

I just hope they are not compromising 2024 with this though. I am all in for them getting more podiums and possibly wins this year, but the pace came too late into the season to get anything meaningful out of it.

I could argue that even going beyond P4 in the constructors is a disadvantage for next year. But it is a racing team in the end, so I am sure they will not give up any positions they can get in the wcc.

I read somewhere Stella stated that some of the upgrades for later in the year will be in preparation for 2024...

Macafangrskg
Macafangrskg

runningmanz wrote:
24 Jul 2023, 07:33
Stella reckons Piastri's issue was more to do with the floor damage and that he might have done it multiple times not just with Perez.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/07/24/fl ... n-hungary/
One good takeaway from the floor damage is that we can evaluate how good job the guys in aero did with the floor.For 30+ laps and we were almost with par with Ferrari.

mclaren111

Slahinki wrote:
24 Jul 2023, 01:37
Just saw someone on the subreddit go through the period Norris was stuck behind Tsunoda to see how long he was held up. 17 blue flag panels. He let Norris by as they were passing the 18th panel. Meanwhile he let Perez by in 5... Must be really nice to have 2 additional cars in the race you can use as speed bumps when you need it. No idea why the FIA tolerates this crap.

To think that we were fighting these guys at the start of the year... Now We Are Lapping Them... :D :D

mclaren111

https://www.google.com/search?q=spa+fra ... e&ie=UTF-8

Early days... But Rain in Spa this whole week...

Slahinki
Slahinki

mclaren111 wrote:
24 Jul 2023, 11:09
Slahinki wrote:
24 Jul 2023, 01:37
Just saw someone on the subreddit go through the period Norris was stuck behind Tsunoda to see how long he was held up. 17 blue flag panels. He let Norris by as they were passing the 18th panel. Meanwhile he let Perez by in 5... Must be really nice to have 2 additional cars in the race you can use as speed bumps when you need it. No idea why the FIA tolerates this crap.

To think that we were fighting these guys at the start of the year... Now We Are Lapping Them... :D :D
It is good to be back at the pointy end of the grid! :D

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
24 Jul 2023, 10:04
Andrea Stella promised to bring new parts this year. The team is in high spirits, I think the latest results only further motivate the team employees. The main thing is not to go beyond the limits of budgets, and the basis of the aerodynamic package will definitely be transferred to the next season. Moreover, I understand, if we take into account the words of Zak, they intend to open the scoring of victories this year after the summer break, possibly towards the end of the season.
Without seeing inside the team, if fighting for regular podiums and sniffing for wins if RB have issues hasn't left the team the happiest and most elated they have been in 10 years then I'll be shocked.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

mclaren111 wrote:
24 Jul 2023, 11:31

That is a shame, it'll negate some of the natural characteristics of the track that will challenge the car. I'm optimistic that the drivers and the car will enjoy the wet however.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

MrGapes

mwillems wrote:
24 Jul 2023, 11:35
mclaren111 wrote:
24 Jul 2023, 11:31

That is a shame, it'll negate some of the natural characteristics of the track that will challenge the car. I'm optimistic that the drivers and the car will enjoy the wet however.
Also the chance we may miss quite a few sessions if its too wet... they will be extra cautious after the recent unfortunate incident with Dilano Van't Hoff

BMMR61

Okay we’ve now ticked off high downforce, slow-medium circuit in hot conditions over race distance with the softest three compounds. Any more reasons to write off McLaren for good prospects going forward?Seems we hear the media every weekend downplaying McLaren’s chances for any number of reasons. After Austria it’s Silverstone and it’s so different a track to RedBull Ring which is a Lando track!. Hungary there was good reason to be cautious but with some optimism and i think this result exceeded most expectations of a week ago. So what did we learn? Well the team now have a lot more data on the B-spec in different conditions with tyres we would previously have expected to struggle on. So, that looks like this car has quite a decent window. That Oscar would sustain damage to the underfloor without colliding with anything other than the track and lost 0.5 seconds of pace and lost the rears, confirms the car is very sensitive to the underbody downforce, probably generating more in this way than it’s direct non RB rivals. So it does confirm we have the second most efficient downforce in my opinion.

There’s good reason to expect that we will be very competitive against Mercedes from here on and without strong upgrades Ferrari and Aston will be in another fight. So today we gained 25 points on Aston and 18 on Ferrari. They are both now less than 100 points off. Next weekend more points are available on Sprint Race weekend so it’s not beyond imagining 3rd in the constructors within the remaining 10 rounds. This is the biggest mid season turnaround in quite some time and it’s a great feeling to be one of the papaya mob who kept believing. Great drive by Lando and a good step in Oscar’s evolution to being a genuine front runner driver.

Macafangrskg
Macafangrskg

BMMR61 wrote:
24 Jul 2023, 13:13
Okay we’ve now ticked off high downforce, slow-medium circuit in hot conditions over race distance with the softest three compounds. Any more reasons to write off McLaren for good prospects going forward?Seems we hear the media every weekend downplaying McLaren’s chances for any number of reasons. After Austria it’s Silverstone and it’s so different a track to RedBull Ring which is a Lando track!. Hungary there was good reason to be cautious but with some optimism and i think this result exceeded most expectations of a week ago. So what did we learn? Well the team now have a lot more data on the B-spec in different conditions with tyres we would previously have expected to struggle on. So, that looks like this car has quite a decent window. That Oscar would sustain damage to the underfloor without colliding with anything other than the track and lost 0.5 seconds of pace and lost the rears, confirms the car is very sensitive to the underbody downforce, probably generating more in this way than it’s direct non RB rivals. So it does confirm we have the second most efficient downforce in my opinion.

There’s good reason to expect that we will be very competitive against Mercedes from here on and without strong upgrades Ferrari and Aston will be in another fight. So today we gained 25 points on Aston and 18 on Ferrari. They are both now less than 100 points off. Next weekend more points are available on Sprint Race weekend so it’s not beyond imagining 3rd in the constructors within the remaining 10 rounds. This is the biggest mid season turnaround in quite some time and it’s a great feeling to be one of the papaya mob who kept believing. Great drive by Lando and a good step in Oscar’s evolution to being a genuine front runner driver.
I pretty much said exactly the same things about the floor and about the possibility to catch up everybody except RB.We need strong performance from us and Ferrari on Monza and Spa to cutdown points from Merc.Aston i dont thing they can keep up with upgrades.

It is also really encouraging that the team now holding off the upgrades for more data and more validation. Proves that they feel quite happy with current performance and they probably focus in suspension and the last iteration of floor after the summer break spread between Zandvoort and Monza.After that they start the America and Asia races and the focus turn solely to 24

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

Macafangrskg wrote:
24 Jul 2023, 13:40
BMMR61 wrote:
24 Jul 2023, 13:13

I pretty much said exactly the same things about the floor and about the possibility to catch up everybody except RB.We need strong performance from us and Ferrari on Monza and Spa to cutdown points from Merc.Aston i dont thing they can keep up with upgrades.

It is also really encouraging that the team now holding off the upgrades for more data and more validation. Proves that they feel quite happy with current performance and they probably focus in suspension and the last iteration of floor after the summer break spread between Zandvoort and Monza.After that they start the America and Asia races and the focus turn solely to 24
Merc will be very tricky to catch, especially considering how close they are to us in competitiveness if we consider the last couple races. Aston and more realistically Ferrari are the teams we may have a shot at catching if we can keep up outscoring them significantly every race. Idk if this sentiment is shared, but I honestly couldn't care less about the constructors for this year, for me it's more important we can keep up with the development curve for the rest of this year and have a good start to next season for the first time in a while and hopefully push Max and RB even more.

mclaren111

https://www.racefans.net/2023/07/24/nor ... -at-start/

Norris on Start...
“Lewis stayed ahead, which was frustrating, but then I managed to stay on the outside [at turn two]. I was a bit surprised, because I would have thought he’d run me a bit wider but he didn’t. So it was close.

“I’m sure he was still trying but it’s very easy to lock up into turn two, so even going into the corner I went back of a couple clicks on brake balance just to attack a little bit more. And it worked out.”

Multi Tasking at it's Best... 8) 8)

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Some statistics for McLaren:
1. Lando Norris qualified third and finished in the top four for the fourth time in the last five quali.

2. Oscar Piastri finished in the top four on the starting field for the second time in a row.

3. In the last three races, Lando finishes in the top 4 and thus gaining 48 points. It's hard to imagine. Previously, the team was in 6th place in the Constructors' Championship with 17 points.

Given the start of the season, now the team has seriously changed.

scuderiabrandon

Very impressed by McLarens competitiveness in the low speed sections, I am very glad to be proven wrong. The improvements are confirmed. Next is Spa another test for McLaren to see how much they've improved in the drag department.

The car will be mighty in S2 often the key to keep the tyres in check. Not that has been an issues since Silverstone.