2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Dimond
Dimond

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

f1rules wrote:
25 Jul 2023, 09:05
Lando is performing really really well, but as mentioned, its now the sec time he tries the "out outside" when two cars in front are battling, that is just the wrong way to do, 95% of the time these cars will push each other wide, especially if its max and hamilton :-)
This is true in case there's nobody behind. But during the start there are so many drivers trying to take the inside line. Going outside is usually a safer choice on the first lap

Macklaren
Macklaren

Eddie has an excellent track record of predictions. He better be wrong about this...
https://www.planetf1.com/news/oscar-pia ... bull-seat/

bauc

Macklaren wrote:
25 Jul 2023, 23:08
Eddie has an excellent track record of predictions. He better be wrong about this...
To be wrong about what? That he thinks that RBR might go after PIA? Of course, all teams are always interested in the best drivers/players ect..... its how sports work my friend :)

I don't really care who drives for Mclaren as long as the team is doing good and hopefully wins races & championships.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
25 Jul 2023, 07:56
mwillems wrote:
24 Jul 2023, 21:05
LionsHeart wrote:
24 Jul 2023, 20:21
I have some speculation that the mechanical upgrades the team talked about earlier may not even be the suspension. Or not just the suspension. Might be the brake cover. They also affect the amount of heat that is retained inside to keep the brakes warm and keep the tires at optimum temperatures.

Who knows, maybe the new tires affected the warming up of the tires and keeping the temperatures in the working window, which means they will have to make changes to the brake ducts and the casing itself. Perhaps the team wants a smoother start of the tires so as not to overshoot the optimal temperature window, which will favorably affect the racing pace.
Wouldn't the brake cover be Aero and therefore described in the FIA upgrade docs? Everything inside might be different, but is still aero though, right?

The tires seem to warm up very quickly still, it is possibly the deformation of the tyre that has changed and improved as the sidewall has almost certainly become stronger and more rigid. Possibly there is also strengthening under the surface of the road gripping rubber and this could affect the transfer of heat. But if it was to do with how the brakes are able to pass heat to the tyres they'd jave had it under control a long time before, I think. I suspect it is more likely to do with how the car needs to be driven causing a lot of energy to go into the tyres.
Perhaps I agree. With all of the above arguments. In theory, yes, this is an aero package, rather than a mechanical part. But looking at the analysis of tire degradation, McLaren is still where it was before, except that downforce significantly offsets the overall drop in racing pace. But the degree of tire degradation is still bad compared to other teams. But, Hungary turned out to be a very tough test given the soft tire compounds, hot weather and its most comfortable corners.
I agree, but it is why I don't think it is an Aero issue per say, but that the method of getting time from this car is not good for the tyres or there is work to do on the mechanical side.

The RB and Mclaren rear suspension appears not too different, so it would be interesting and useful to understand if Mclaren have deg issues on both rear and fronts, or just fronts.

That said, it could well be that the balance of DF produced by the floor is too rearward or not optimal in general. We do have good traction and corner exit.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

Macklaren wrote:
25 Jul 2023, 23:08
Team mates of Verstappen often don't go on to have great careers in F1.

Added to that he is managed by Mark "Not bad for a number 2 driver" Webber and I'm not sure Oscar would be going to RB.

Oscar must know he has the chance to.surpass Lando and lead a resurgent team. I expect he will have a new Mclaren contract within 3 months. Oddly enough rumours of demand by RB can't harm his negotiating position.

-Bandit

Macklaren
Macklaren

I think Zak will want to keep Oscar very close just in case Lando gets tempted by big bucks or a big seat elsewhere. Agree that Oscar will have a long term deal before the end of the year (which probably clears Palou to go to Alpha tauri).

EDIT: I know that recently there has been a lot of Andreas "good riddance" Seidl bashing on here (which I dont really agree with) but we should all give him credit for snagging Oscar despite the bad optics (also Zak deserves credit ofc)

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Macklaren wrote:
25 Jul 2023, 23:45
I think Zak will want to keep Oscar very close just in case Lando gets tempted by big bucks or a big seat elsewhere. Agree that Oscar will have a long term deal before the end of the year (which probably clears Palou to go to Alpha tauri).

EDIT: I know that recently there has been a lot of Andreas "good riddance" Seidl bashing on here (which I dont really agree with) but we should all give him credit for snagging Oscar despite the bad optics (also Zak deserves credit ofc)
Agreed, shortly after Oscar was confirmed, Zak stated that Seidl was the driving force behind it and really pushed for Oscar. To be fair, there's quite a bit to give Seidl credit for, he certainly has his strengths. He insisted on the wind tunnel and infrastructure upgrades, the Mercedes deal, pit stops equipment upgrade. Fair play to Zak as well for signing them off, they worked well together. It appears their only disagreements were the Audi deal and James Key.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
25 Jul 2023, 23:22
LionsHeart wrote:
25 Jul 2023, 07:56
mwillems wrote:
24 Jul 2023, 21:05

Wouldn't the brake cover be Aero and therefore described in the FIA upgrade docs? Everything inside might be different, but is still aero though, right?

The tires seem to warm up very quickly still, it is possibly the deformation of the tyre that has changed and improved as the sidewall has almost certainly become stronger and more rigid. Possibly there is also strengthening under the surface of the road gripping rubber and this could affect the transfer of heat. But if it was to do with how the brakes are able to pass heat to the tyres they'd jave had it under control a long time before, I think. I suspect it is more likely to do with how the car needs to be driven causing a lot of energy to go into the tyres.
Perhaps I agree. With all of the above arguments. In theory, yes, this is an aero package, rather than a mechanical part. But looking at the analysis of tire degradation, McLaren is still where it was before, except that downforce significantly offsets the overall drop in racing pace. But the degree of tire degradation is still bad compared to other teams. But, Hungary turned out to be a very tough test given the soft tire compounds, hot weather and its most comfortable corners.
I agree, but it is why I don't think it is an Aero issue per say, but that the method of getting time from this car is not good for the tyres or there is work to do on the mechanical side.

The RB and Mclaren rear suspension appears not too different, so it would be interesting and useful to understand if Mclaren have deg issues on both rear and fronts, or just fronts.

That said, it could well be that the balance of DF produced by the floor is too rearward or not optimal in general. We do have good traction and corner exit.
I managed to see the onboard of Alonso, George, Oscar, Lewis. From Turn 2 and Turn 13, I can say the following: Aston has been understeer since the start of the stint on all tires. That is, all three full stints are this. The Mercedes are very stable in the beginning, but towards the end of each stretch there is oversteer both in and out, with good front grip. Oscar lost some grip at the back, but I didn’t see anything critical, again, he had a damaged bottom and a drop in rear pressure, which caused the rear tires to go faster. But the overall balance of entry and exit was more neutral than it could be called understeer, which surprised me. I would say that McLaren did a good job on long slow corners.

If you look at the pace, McLaren is very fast on fresh tires, the drivers squeeze much more out of the tires, and the Mercedes ride more calmly and accelerate in the final phase of each stint. For example, why did Lewis, who was within 3.5 seconds of the first pitstop, lose 7 seconds after undercut to Lando and be 9 seconds behind Oscar? Then two laps later, the gap between Lewis and Lando widened to 12 seconds. It was 3.5, now it's 12. How? After all, the undercut on fresh tires worked well, and no one interfered with Lewis. The answer is generally simple, McLaren tires wear out faster and drive slower at the end of the segment, Mercedes, on the contrary, drive the entire segment more steadily, but the overall pace on each segment is comparable. One man's analysis confirms Lando and Lewis ran the race at the same pace.

I haven't watched the Red Bull onboard yet, but I think they have more grip at the entrance to turn 2 and 13 and that helps a lot. Luckily for me, McLaren didn't have any big problems here, when turning the steering wheel the chassis obediently entered the turn and there was no understeer. But if Lando wants to use the V-trajectory, then he will need more grip on the front tires. So it is with the front suspension that you need to work.

mwillems

But which tyres are the limitation, just the front tyres, all of them? Where does the deg occur. If it us the way the car has to be driven I'd expect more deg on the front tyres but OK deg on the rear. I might try and find some pit stop footage later.

-Bandit

mwillems

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/lando-norris- ... 00904.html

Lando Norris saying he is going nowhere.

Also describing himself as a pessimistic guy for those who thought his negativity before Hungary was "realism" 🤣

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

Stella rubbishes the 1 second gain because its actually 1.5 seconds🤪🤪

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/mclar ... /10499800/
Just a fan's point of view

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
26 Jul 2023, 08:30
But which tyres are the limitation, just the front tyres, all of them? Where does the deg occur. If it us the way the car has to be driven I'd expect more deg on the front tyres but OK deg on the rear. I might try and find some pit stop footage later.
The limitation is the front left and rear tires. I think it depends on the balance of the chassis, and the driving style of each rider. Today I will try to see the onboard of Sergio, Lando and Max. Let's see how they got on with the tires.

mwillems

CjC wrote:
26 Jul 2023, 11:06
Stella rubbishes the 1 second gain because its actually 1.5 seconds🤪🤪

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/mclar ... /10499800/
I bet he wears hawaian shirts as pyjamas too.

-Bandit

BMMR61

mwillems wrote:
26 Jul 2023, 08:31
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/lando-norris- ... 00904.html

Lando Norris saying he is going nowhere[/b 🤣

I think he might have said the same at the beginning of the season. 🤣
But seriously, with the resurgence of McLaren’s pace they could attract most drivers if Lando had made a secret deal with RB. I reckon Carlos must be questioning his decision to go to Ferrari.

Coming back to Hungary it did seem that tyre management was more important than usual. Oscar with his lack of experience struggled in the last two stints albeit hindered by the drop off in downforce caused by the floor damage. So the usual Lando whinge about slow corner deficit may not be quite the worry at Spa with much cooler temperatures expected.
Note to Oscar look after the underbody and you will have a strong chance for a podium.

Macklaren
Macklaren

After the euphoria of the last 2 races, I do think its time to let the air out of the balloon a little bit. I do think we will struggle more in Spa because of the mixed nature of the track (combination of high and low speed vs. Silverstone all high speed and Hungaroring all medium speed). Also Merc, AMR and Alpine all have sizeable updates here when we have none. I think P5-8 is the likely target. Podium again would be a huge win.