2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
CjC
CjC

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Macklaren wrote:
27 Jul 2023, 16:00
After the euphoria of the last 2 races, I do think its time to let the air out of the balloon a little bit. I do think we will struggle more in Spa because of the mixed nature of the track (combination of high and low speed vs. Silverstone all high speed and Hungaroring all medium speed). Also Merc, AMR and Alpine all have sizeable updates here when we have none. I think P5-8 is the likely target. Podium again would be a huge win.
Has no updates been confirmed?
Just a fan's point of view

Macklaren
Macklaren

I thought they explicitly stated at Hungary that it will be after the summer break and then again toward the end of the season (as per the Zak quote)

CjC
CjC

Did he say that after the race on Sky?
Just a fan's point of view

geogate
geogate

Im all up for being a bit pessimistic. My biggest problem is, i dont really see who else is going to come to the fore, especially with such low temperatures. Sunday a high of 16 i heard today - very likely rain friday and saturday

mwillems

The tires still seem to get hotter quicker on the Mclaren. Cooler temps will bring the race a little bit more our way. You'd say that changeable conditions will do the same. Anything that rewards tires that heat quickly and offers conditions that mitigate the overheating issue will help us.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

geogate wrote:
27 Jul 2023, 19:18
Im all up for being a bit pessimistic. My biggest problem is, i dont really see who else is going to come to the fore, especially with such low temperatures. Sunday a high of 16 i heard today - very likely rain friday and saturday
To aid the pessimism, it appears Mercedes has brought updates? Will be interesting though, with the weather and the sprint weekend.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

MTudor
MTudor

A few thoughts:
1.I'm not worried about Lando leaving for Redbull,but I'm worried that Oscar may attract some "sharks" from other teams and they could lure him,Ferrari would be such ateam.
2.Speaking about Ferrari I saw some coments from the tifosi fans,that they fear that Mclaren could snatch their place in WCC.
Although I don't think that do you think it's posible?
3.Who said in winter that by the end of the season we will be the 2nd force in F1?
Did u had some intel from inside or you were just an optimistic fan?
4.Can you imagine if we had this car at the beggining of the season or at least the "Austria update" in Baku,what would have been!

mwillems

After Canada we were 105 points behind Ferrari. Now we are 80 behind. Anything is possible.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

organic

I think McLaren catching Ferrari is likely. The car is faster in all conditions and it seems at most track types. Only Singapore and maybe Monza could be problems compared to Ferrari.

McLaren are also operationally better (by far) and morale is exceptionally high. The two drivers are also clearly gelling with the car and are both performing well. Seems likely they catch Ferrari/amr imo

Farnborough
Farnborough

MTudor wrote:
27 Jul 2023, 22:19
A few thoughts:
1.I'm not worried about Lando leaving for Redbull,but I'm worried that Oscar may attract some "sharks" from other teams and they could lure him,Ferrari would be such ateam.
2.Speaking about Ferrari I saw some coments from the tifosi fans,that they fear that Mclaren could snatch their place in WCC.
3.Who said in winter that by the end of the season we will be the 2nd force in F1?
4.Can you imagine if we had this car at the beggining of the season or at least the "Austria update" in Baku,what would have been!
If you were Mark Webber (managing Piastri) where would you put him if he wanted to move ? MW with a particularly friendly relationship with the whole of RB :wink:

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Farnborough wrote:
27 Jul 2023, 22:52
MTudor wrote:
27 Jul 2023, 22:19
A few thoughts:
If you were Mark Webber (managing Piastri) where would you put him if he wanted to move ? MW with a particularly friendly relationship with the whole of RB :wink:
If Webber would boot Ricciardo out of a seat for the 2nd time in as many years...I'm not sure that relationship could recover :lol:
A lion must kill its prey.

geogate
geogate

its up to Mclaren to keep providing a car that can keep em isnt it. I suspect Piastri would like to stay at Mclaren unless there is a significantly more competitive drive available. He will surely be offered multi millions for next year. Maybe not Landos level, but a very respectable wage for a second season. Mclaren is probably the best place for a new kid to have space to develop and establish himself.

MrGapes

I think there's a chance we can take Pouhon flat in quali .. Just need good grip track conditions.

McL-H
McL-H

I think Spa will suit us just fine. The car is not as bad in slow corners anymore as it used to be and with eau rouge and pouhon we have some corners where the car is likely to be fastest. I think the chance of another podium could be on, also depending on what other teams bring and what the weather will do. Today it has been raining all day and predictions aren’t that great until at least next week. Temperatures are also very cool atm which will favour McLaren.

Macklaren
Macklaren

organic wrote:
27 Jul 2023, 22:51
I think McLaren catching Ferrari is likely. The car is faster in all conditions and it seems at most track types. Only Singapore and maybe Monza could be problems compared to Ferrari.

McLaren are also operationally better (by far) and morale is exceptionally high. The two drivers are also clearly gelling with the car and are both performing well. Seems likely they catch Ferrari/amr imo
I think Vegas as well. Long straight and twisty street track just like Baku. Low grip street surface like Miami.