2023 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Wouter

Re: 2023 Alpine F1 Team

Pat Fry is also leaving Alpine:
Pat Fry joins Williams Racing as Chief Technical Officer
Published on 28 Jul 2023

Hear from our new Chief Technical Officer Pat Fry and Team Principal James Vowles
We are delighted to announce the appointment of Pat Fry as our new Chief Technical Officer.
With an illustrious career spanning over three decades in the motorsport industry, Pat brings a wealth of experience and expertise to his new role, further strengthening the team's technical leadership.
Pat will begin his role on 1 November 2023 and had the following to say: "I am thrilled to be joining Williams Racing as Chief Technical Officer.
“The team has a rich heritage in Formula 1, and I am excited to contribute to its future success.
“I believe in the team's potential and, together, we will strive for excellence on and off the track."
Team Principal James Vowles is already looking forward to working with Pat later this year, sharing: “On behalf of all at Williams Racing, I’m delighted to be welcoming Pat.
“His knowledge and experience will further strengthen the team's technical capabilities and pursuit of excellence as we build the next chapter of Williams.
“Pat has been a core part of winning teams throughout his career, he is one of the most respected experts in our industry and I’m excited to begin work with him when he joins in November.”
The Power of Dreams!

the EDGE
the EDGE

Alpine really only have have 1 logical option

Sell the team, and move on

Macklaren
Macklaren

Won't be surprised if they sell to HITECH or andretti and become a power train supplier

JordanMugen

Alpine F1 Team:
The team would like to thank Otmar for his hard work over the past 18 months and for leading the team in achieving fourth place in the 2022 constructors' championship. The team wishes him the best for the future.
Lovely best wishes there.

the EDGE wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 14:59
I’m no fan of Otmar, but then I don’t know him, or what his up to, but I think Alpine would be crazy to oust him (or make staffing decisions for him) unless they have someone lined up for the role
Supposedly ex-Ferrari maestro Mattias Binotto is lined up for the role (another dual CTO & TP role?). Finally some sense from Alpine! =D>

organic wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 14:34
NO MORE PETROL FOR RENAULT
AMuS
Renault wanted to be allowed more fuel, instead of being allowed to finding the power by doing development within the regulations? That seems very cheeky. (Though that did work for Binotto, without the "being allowed" bit! :lol: )

Macklaren
Macklaren

I'm sure Mattia would be thrilled that have moved on from a team with a meddling car company CEO, technical team turnover and team politics. OH WAIT

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

the EDGE wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 15:29
Alpine really only have have 1 logical option

Sell the team, and move on
Renault still own the majority of the team, they sold shares to US investment groups back in June. I guess the changes were likely recommend by the new investors.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/alpin ... nvestments.

the EDGE
the EDGE

JordanMugen wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 15:40
Alpine F1 Team:
The team would like to thank Otmar for his hard work over the past 18 months and for leading the team in achieving fourth place in the 2022 constructors' championship. The team wishes him the best for the future.
Lovely best wishes there.

the EDGE wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 14:59
I’m no fan of Otmar, but then I don’t know him, or what his up to, but I think Alpine would be crazy to oust him (or make staffing decisions for him) unless they have someone lined up for the role
Supposedly ex-Ferrari maestro Mattias Binotto is lined up for the role (another dual CTO & TP role?). Finally some sense from Alpine! =D>

organic wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 14:34
NO MORE PETROL FOR RENAULT
AMuS
Renault wanted to be allowed more fuel, instead of being allowed to finding the power by doing development within the regulations? That seems very cheeky. (Though that did work for Binotto, without the "being allowed" bit! :lol: )
He certainly would be a wise decision, but I’m not sure the team is the problem, IMO, like Ferrari, the parent company is.

Publicly owned companies do not understand what is takes to be in F1, appointed CEOs who answer to board members don’t have the patience

JordanMugen

Macklaren wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 15:44
I'm sure Mattia would be thrilled that have moved on from a team with a meddling car company CEO, technical team turnover and team politics. OH WAIT
New Alpine CEO Philippe Krief is ex-Ferrari and ex-Alfa Romeo. "Join the dots?" :)

ringo

Maybe those american investors will make the nest for a new team to buyout Renault.
This team always had shaky objectives and decisions.
For Sure!!

The Prodigy
The Prodigy

Macklaren wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 15:39
Won't be surprised if they sell to HITECH or andretti and become a power train supplier
The only problem in that scenario is that nobody wants their PUs.

But I agree with Andretti. Renault should sell their UK department and be the PU supplier for Andretti. People can say what they want about Andretti… yes he is American but he is a real racer and wants to win.

saputra_25
saputra_25

From the outside, this team seems has no long term vision. and has no stability in their leadership.
I doubt they will start winning races in the next 2 years.

Marcin --> leave/fired
Brivio --> gone
Alonso ---> gone
Piastri --> gone
Szafnauer --> fired/leave
Permane --> fired/leave
Fry --> fired/leave

The Prodigy
The Prodigy

saputra_25 wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 16:09
From the outside, this team seems has no long term vision. and has no stability in their leadership.
I doubt they will start winning races in the next 2 years.

Marcin --> leave/fired
Brivio --> gone
Alonso ---> gone
Piastri --> gone
Szafnauer --> fired/leave
Permane --> fired/leave
Fry --> fired/leave
Fry was not fired.

gshevlin
gshevlin

The only way that these changes make sense is if Alpine expects Mattia Binotto to join the team, and he is going to bring in some of his own people.
Binotto would probably swallow up Otmar's role, but Alan Permane leaving is inexplicable unless Binotto already has somebody lined up to take his place.
I am more concerned about Pat Fry leaving as CTO. Fry has presided over good cars wherever he has landed in the past.
If Binotto is not joining the team, then Alpine has a bigger problem. Who in F1 would want to join this revolving door show right now?

monkeyboy1976
monkeyboy1976

Outmar Shaftnauered.
Enstone has been Alan Permane's life. Very sad.
Last edited by monkeyboy1976 on 28 Jul 2023, 16:31, edited 2 times in total.

geogate
geogate

did Andretti want to be based in Europe? I think it was a disgrace on Formula One that they tried to block an outfit like Andretti if they had a serious bid, which they seemed to. 10 teams was always the absolute minium and never an ideal. Anyways, glad Szafnauer is out of F1 - what a peice of work he was