Mercedes W14

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
icantride
icantride

Re: Mercedes W14

Puffpirat wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 13:21
Cs98 wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 13:11
214270 wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 12:41
Same with the front:

No. Says rear.
Look at the front wing upper flaps. Lewis‘ is trimmed
I think that's the mechanic's shirt hanging over the flap

Cs98
Cs98

Puffpirat wrote:
Cs98 wrote:
214270 wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 12:41
Same with the front:

No. Says rear.
Doesn't look trimmed to me. Looks like that mechanic's jacket is sitting on top of the wing slightly making it look trimmed.

Puffpirat
Puffpirat

icantride wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 13:26
Puffpirat wrote:
Cs98 wrote:

No. Says rear.
Russell has the normal flap of the silverstone wing. It has two waves, Lewis has 3, can’t describe it better. Sorry not at the PC maybe someone with good paint skills could chime in.

Also looked trimmed in the TV shots.

Agreed on the mechanics shirt but it’s also trimmed towards the endplate.

icantride
icantride

Puffpirat wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 13:45
icantride wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 13:26
Puffpirat wrote:

Russell has the normal flap of the silverstone wing. It has two waves, Lewis has 3, can’t describe it better. Sorry not at the PC maybe someone with good paint skills could chime in.

Also looked trimmed in the TV shots.

Agreed on the mechanics shirt but it’s also trimmed towards the endplate.
Now I've seen the broadcast I'd agree, LH top flap definitely does look trimmed slightly

ringo

Thr sidepod has more camber indeed when looking from the side. More aggressive pressure recovery and should improve rear downforce.
Maybe the team took the time to umderstand what is happening by first the vanila pods then refining them step by step. This means they are copying but not swatting. Taking time to learn how the aero features interact and so on. This bodes well for 2024 if they keep chipping away.
Aston are the prime example of what happens when you run before you learn how to walk...you trip up!
Last edited by ringo on 28 Jul 2023, 16:29, edited 1 time in total.
For Sure!!

cplchanb
cplchanb

ringo wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 16:20
Thr sidepod has more camber inded when looking from the side. More aggressive pressure recovery and should improve rear downforce.
Maybe the team took the time to umderstand what is happening by first the vanila pods then refining them step by step. This means they are copying but not swatting. Taking time to learn how the aero features interact and so on. This bodes well for 2024 if they keep chipping away.
Aston are the prime example of what happens when you run before you learn how to walk...you trip up!
pretty much what the team said they would be doing from Monaco: establish a new baseline. this is a refinement of what they learned from the last few races.

atanatizante

This upper leg suspension element (?) on the new update has another pickup point due to track-specific requirements?
And in the background, another metal rod seems missing, so there are other changes at the back end of the car ... maybe someone could provide a better picture ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

atanatizante wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 17:10
http://postimg.cc/8sRVd1BX

This upper leg suspension element (?) on the new update has another pickup point due to track-specific requirements?
And in the background, another metal rod seems missing, so there are other changes at the back end of the car ... maybe someone could provide a better picture ...
This update is bigger than they’ve made out. Lots of reworking flow paths. Lots of attention to finer detail. This has been cooking for a while with little fanfare. Clearly they’re getting confident in the direction they need to travel in

atanatizante

Always is nice when the track is wet in order to see the car`s airflow trajectory, especially when there`s a new aero upgrade ...

Could someone with better aero knowledge enlighten us and take some conclusions from the above pictures?
Jesus

atanatizante

And a view from the back of the car with the new waterslides ...

Jesus

organic

Some nice angles of the new sidepod bodywork with the ridged outer edge

📸 Mateusz Mróz

ringo

The slides are very mild. They need go be deeper!! :mrgreen:
For Sure!!

Farnborough
Farnborough

A very interesting weekend to see how the development placed this chassis against the others, especially so on this circuit with such a split in load demands vs drag.

Looks like these sidepod rear lower design are effective in raising diffuser effective range of operation. Notable is the rear, in front of tyre, treatment that appears to make more focused supply of air volume and pace to the outside wall of diffuser.

The floor load appears to have gone upward, in spite of running a low loaded rear wing. A good step in analysis terms, an overall gain but difficult to use it fully reinforced by overall pace observations.

The "bouncing" note that nobody in MB world wants to say the "P" word ? shows how close they are to running into problems. That does or should tell the aero team something very important though, seeing where that margin is helps to define the path of understanding, that's valuable significantly so if the results are properly examined.

Notice though a similarity to Imola 22 (I still think one of the worst display of bouncing) low altitude, water heavy air density etc etc, and think this is vital to their picture.
Put more floor load on the chassis via increases in diffuser effort and it starts to pull the chassis into that pitch cycle we can all see.
This I believe is compounded by the mid wing effect (there's more lift accumulated in dense air) generating more lift, it is true Porpoising (there, I've said it :D ) lift the front end with tail down attitude/load range increase, then the chassis will effectively produce a "swallowing" routine with the pressure wave passing under the car to force that characteristic frequency in load max, load minimum etc until the speed drops again.

None of them are far from this threshold, the top entry sidepod seems to be furthest away from running into the flow like this, but just sufficiently to keep it from generating a wave response that is very difficult to control.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

ringo wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 19:02
The slides are very mild. They need go be deeper!! :mrgreen:
The most dominant car in history doesn't have water slides at all. The cars behind Mercedes in Spa had deep slides.

Maybe slides are a feature that aren't the best way to make an F1 car go quickly.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

AMG.Tzan

Hamilton mentioned bouncing has come back in his post-race interviews! :oops:

Could this be just not optimizing the new package because of only one practice session?? I hope it's this really cause otherwise they're back to zero again...

Some said it was because Mercedes were running softer springs all weekend! Did you notice any other car bouncing from the onboard?? What about Russell who was using the high df rear wing??
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis