2023 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Wouter

Re: 2023 Alpine F1 Team

Translated:
About the Alpine engine: When setting the 'engine freeze' it was agreed that adjustments can be made if there are major differences in power. This is to prevent a team from being 'stuck' with a bad engine until 2026, or if one stands out. According to the FIA, that is now the case, with Alpine. They are lagging behind, something that 'fill in' Vice President Bruno Famin agreed, 'although it's not that bad'. Looks like they can do something to the engine to connect, although that decision has yet to be made. #F1
The Power of Dreams!

JordanMugen

The Prodigy wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 16:01
The only problem in that scenario is that nobody wants their PUs.
How did Renault lose Red Bull, Toro Rosso and McLaren as power unit customers if Renault power units were both very reliable and very powerful (and Renault provided great value and excellent customer service)? :?:

When the scenario of Red Bull and AlphaTauri using Renault units from 2022 emerged (due to Honda's official withdrawal), Red Bull seemed very keen to avoid that for some reason. :wtf:
Last edited by JordanMugen on 28 Jul 2023, 18:06, edited 6 times in total.

FW17

Real hero of Force India

gcdugas

Bring back Flavio!
Innovation over refinement is the prefered path to performance. -- Get rid of the dopey regs in F1

Sevach
Sevach

organic wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 14:30
According to L'equipe:

https://www.lequipe.fr/Formule-1/Actual ... on/1410642
TEAM INFO : The Alpine team is continuing its restructuring at a rapid pace. After President Laurent Rossi, it is the turn of boss Otmar Szafnauer and historic sports director Alan Permane to be dismissed.
https://www.lequipe.fr/_medias/img-phot ... /78d6b.jpg
The French revolution is here...

diffuser

geogate wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 16:29
did Andretti want to be based in Europe? I think it was a disgrace on Formula One that they tried to block an outfit like Andretti if they had a serious bid, which they seemed to. 10 teams was always the absolute minium and never an ideal. Anyways, glad Szafnauer is out of F1 - what a peice of work he was
Just a negotiation. Playing hard ball.

gshevlin
gshevlin

IMHO the current upheavals at Alpine are because the corporation's leadership does not understand the key leadership principle of running F1 for non-F1 owners and partners, which is to hire really good people, give them the funding and the tools, and Get Out Of The Way.
Since the lucky win by Esteban Ocon in the A521 two seasons ago, the team has not advanced further up the grid.
It would be interesting to know just how much of the money that Alpine collected by selling an equity stake in the team is going back to the F1 operation and powerplant operation. Any answer less than "all of it" will not bode well for Alpine's competitive future.
The situation reminds me of the struggles between Williams and BMW. BMW's board wanted a championship, and were frustrated with the under-achievement of the Williams team. BMW's problem was that they could not fire senior Williams leaders because they did not own the team, and Frank Williams would not sell it to them. Alpine does not have that excuse.

KimiRai
KimiRai

(not confirmed yet)

Last edited by KimiRai on 28 Jul 2023, 21:39, edited 2 times in total.

KimiRai
KimiRai

A rumour says Renault is evaluating the options to rename the team back to Renault.

the EDGE
the EDGE

KimiRai wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 21:12
A rumour says Renault is evaluating the options to rename the team back to Renault.
I doubt it, When asked about decisions to sack Otmar & Alan, all Famin could talk about was Alpine road cars launching some new models

His reason was basically we want to win sooner than Otmar/Alan say we can, so we sacked them and told the team to win quicker

When asked who the new boss will be, he basically said, I don’t know, I’ve only been there 2 weeks, I have to review everything

Oh dear, they have no idea what they are doing, good luck getting Binotto, if he walked out on Ferrari, he’s not going to take this role

I know people seem to respect Famin, but he appears to not have a clue what his doing

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Truly a team in utter disarray. PIA and ALO must be so glad to have steered clear of this ship. Feel sorry for GAS who I very much rate

diffuser

KimiRai wrote:
Spelled like "Reynolds"?

diffuser

the EDGE wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 21:24
KimiRai wrote:
I doubt it, When asked about decisions to sack Otmar & Alan, all Famin could talk about was Alpine road cars launching some new models

His reason was basically we want to win sooner than Otmar/Alan say we can, so we sacked them and told the team to win quicker

When asked who the new boss will be, he basically said, I don’t know, I’ve only been there 2 weeks, I have to review everything

Oh dear, they have no idea what they are doing, good luck getting Binotto, if he walked out on Ferrari, he’s not going to take this role

I know people seem to respect Famin, but he appears to not have a clue what his doing
I mean if you don't know that Binotto got his walking papers from Ferrari....

continuum16

This team is on the fast track to being off the grid. Let's face it, Enstone haven't been a proper top team in a good 15 years (since Alonso championships). Almost every year (or two) there has been some major problem at Enstone, at Renault, or both. Since 2006, this includes:
  • Botched engine freeze (sound familiar?), followed by
  • Crashgate, followed by
  • Renault selling, followed by
  • Lotus/Lotus-Renault debacle, followed by
  • Raikkonen salary gaffe, followed by
  • Maldonado and botching another engine ruleset (sensing a theme...), followed by
  • Renault re-buying the team after they ran out of money, followed by
  • Inexplicable "two popes" Vasseur-Cyril management that failed in less than 1 season, followed by
  • Losing RB and STR to Honda, followed by
  • Spending fortunes on Ricciardo only to lose him after 2 years (debatable if team's fault but still not a positive), followed by
  • Firing Cyril after rehiring Alonso only for him to leave after 2 years, followed by
  • Firing Budkowski after 1yr, followed by
  • Botching Piastri's contract and also botching another engine freeze (there's that theme again), followed by
  • Firing the CEO, TP, Sporting Director, and losing the most-respected member of your technical team, as well as losing your title sponsor and whatever else happens in the coming days.
Worth noting that with the exception of 2008 when they beat Red Bull, every year Renault had at least one customer team the Enstone team was beaten by at least one of them. That's ridiculous.

Sell to Andretti (or whoever else), cut your losses, and move on. This team is, on the outside at least, in freefall.
Last edited by continuum16 on 28 Jul 2023, 21:39, edited 1 time in total.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

the EDGE
the EDGE

diffuser wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 21:34
KimiRai wrote:
Spelled like "Reynolds"?
😂 Spelt like Lada… until they win