2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Piastri’s mistake at the end of the lap cost him roughly 2.5 tenths… Interesting how much they lose in both straights against Mercedes and Aston Martin, on the other hand, roughly 8 tenth lost in both flat out sections… Nevertheless they gain a massive amount of time in Sector 2, almost negating the deficit… This bodes really well for the race, since they should be able to carry a lot more speed in S2 (and potentially taking better care of their tires during the stint)… Yes, they will be under threat in S1, but it will depend on how close the car behind is, but it will be rough to defend against a DRS attack

Macklaren
Macklaren

Maybe they are going for a similar strategy to Silverstone. Gap people enough in the twisties that you can fend em off on the 2 straights. Plus radillion/eau rouge if grip is even slightly low.

PS: I know cars are now in parc ferme but can they do any setup changes now to reduce drag a bit?

PPS: did both cars run the same setup in quali? I know they split the rear wings for testing in FP1

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Macklaren wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 19:17
Maybe they are going for a similar strategy to Silverstone. Gap people enough in the twisties that you can fend em off on the 2 straights. Plus radillion/eau rouge if grip is even slightly low.

PS: I know cars are now in parc ferme but can they do any setup changes now to reduce drag a bit?

PPS: did both cars run the same setup in quali? I know they split the rear wings for testing in FP1
They can’t change the setup… They should be able to fix / replace Lando’s floor for the same spec part overnight

Tomsky
Tomsky

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

For qualifying, Lando's car was equipped with a large beam wing. The same as it was in the practice of Oscar. The car is not bad in the second sector, which is not surprising, if the updated upper flap works, then we will have a chance not much in the first sector. In general, the qualification went well. Sorry for the car Lando. I think tomorrow on the car Lando will replace the bottom. If I remember the rules correctly, this will not lead to a penalty if the specification of the bottom is the same.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

SmallSoldier wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 19:25
Macklaren wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 19:17

They can’t change the setup… They should be able to fix / replace Lando’s floor for the same spec part overnight
Yeah, correct.

geogate
geogate

well, they could have a decent Sprint - a dry sunday race may be a little fraught

Macklaren
Macklaren

Wonder if Lewis will get a penalty for his unsafe rejoin

mwillems

the EDGE wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 19:13
mwillems wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 18:26
the EDGE wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 17:57

Not to that extent

Far better to end the season with a great car and a good result and carry the momentum into ‘24, than have a few extra runs
I'm not sure that the two relate.

We are far enough from 4th that it is not a forgone conclusion we will catch them. This leaves a choice to retard the performance of a single race if need be to endure we don't take 4th.

The team is profitable and doesn't need the cash, the accounts show that. Income exceeds £200m in a budget cap of c£110m so money is irrelevant. The group has issues, not the team.

It is prestige v development. But I think the team have done enough to make our mark this season. All done without retarding development or the cars ultimate pace.

Snatching 4th will have little benefit.

At least that is my view, what is the extent you refer to?
Well TBH, I think I miss-read the initial post, as money is not at all important! I'd agree that if it were nip & tuck, WIndtunnel & CFD time is more valuable, and that might not be a bad idea

But what I'd rather, is the car to be flying after the summer break, and be fighting for P3. That's more important than throwing this season to secure more development resources for next year, as it's all carry-over for next year
1st priority is a flying car and we are agreed that if it is nip and tuck the ensuring 5th is a good idea. Anything more than that and then I agree, we can't start sandbagging.

As is, Ferrari are making enough points to keep it a tight race to the end. But developments over the next few months will change that gap and they may catch up, or we may start winning races.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

BMMR61

Green track evolution will be interesting to watch. Not sure why McLaren always seem to err on the side of more downforce at the expense of top speed.

the EDGE
the EDGE

BMMR61 wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 20:38
Green track evolution will be interesting to watch. Not sure why McLaren always seem to err on the side of more downforce at the expense of top speed.
To look after the tyres, plus if it’s wet it will pay dividends

mwillems

BMMR61 wrote:
Given how the tyres heat, the downforce is a factor that can help it a little. Or prevent it being worse.

When the tire heating issue is resolved we will get more leeway with the DF setup.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 20:56
BMMR61 wrote:
Given how the tyres heat, the downforce is a factor that can help it a little. Or prevent it being worse.

When the tire heating issue is resolved we will get more leeway with the DF setup.
Less DF, more sliding around, more tire overheat = Less race pace

MrGapes

Current weather for Sprint and shoot-out looks very wet.. During its respective timeslots is 1.3-4mm/h, I don't think they'll do any running with current forecast (weather changes very quickly in this region so who knows).

Wets feel more and more useless, but completely understandable, the inters on a drying track alone really compromised visibility.

the EDGE
the EDGE

MrGapes wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 21:54
Current weather for Sprint and shoot-out looks very wet.. During its respective timeslots is 1.3-4mm/h, I don't think they'll do any running with current forecast (weather changes very quickly in this region so who knows)
That’s really not a lot of rain, F3/2 we’re running in that today

The forecast is unsettled/changeable. Just because it says it will rain, does not mean it will, it could well be sunny

I think they will get to run both sessions, maybe an early or late start, possibly interrupted, but this is not like it was 2 years ago