2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
BMMR61

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

SmallSoldier wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 21:42
mwillems wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 20:56
BMMR61 wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 20:38
Green track evolution will be interesting to watch. Not sure why McLaren always seem to err on the side of more downforce at the expense of top speed.
Given how the tyres heat, the downforce is a factor that can help it a little. Or prevent it being worse.

When the tire heating issue is resolved we will get more leeway with the DF setup.
Less DF, more sliding around, more tire overheat = Less race pace
For sure that is good protection, McLaren do have that rapid warming which should make them strong on the opening lap. With the weather vagaries I feel they have some tactical options in their locker, like going longer on the first stint where the cool weather will mitigate against the undercut.

mwillems

We get a free choice of tyres which is good. If the start is dry then I'd be tempted to start on meds given how we can get the tyres working quickly.

Then see if we can go longer into any change in conditions or VSC/SC. 8 of the last 10 races have had a SC or VSC, with 11 incidences in total. Rain factored into just 1 GP.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

Macklaren wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 19:43
Wonder if Lewis will get a penalty for his unsafe rejoin
https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... safely.pdf

"No further action"

CjC
CjC

Lando alluding to too much downforce for the straights…..

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... zYNyJ.html
Just a fan's point of view

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

CjC wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 00:17

Top speed has been an Achilles heel so far this season, but as in Silverstone, it may not be as detrimental… If it rains on Sunday, it’s game on having probably more downforce than the rest of the field, that would be the best possible outcome… In the dry, it will be difficult.

Spa was the toughest test for the new package and even though so far it’s a bit early to judge it, it is definitely an step forward… The amount of lap time gained in S2 versus rivals is massive, in the race, with the tow and some DRS help, it could be really good for the Team.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

SmallSoldier wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 00:32
Top speed has been an Achilles heel so far this season, but as in Silverstone, it may not be as detrimental… If it rains on Sunday, it’s game on having probably more downforce than the rest of the field, that would be the best possible outcome… In the dry, it will be difficult.

Spa was the toughest test for the new package and even though so far it’s a bit early to judge it, it is definitely an step forward… The amount of lap time gained in S2 versus rivals is massive, in the race, with the tow and some DRS help, it could be really good for the Team.
Let's be honest, we expect Piastri to be 2 tenths or so behind Lando, maybe even more as there was little running in FP. If that was the case (no damage) Lando would start on pole. Things look quite good but it might be a struggle to overtake with low top speed.

CjC
CjC

SmallSoldier wrote:
CjC wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 00:17

Yea, we’ll have to find out after Sundays race if they got it right.
I thought the DRS activation for Q3 would help Mclaren, seemed to hinder them really.

CjC
CjC

FittingMechanics wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 00:37
SmallSoldier wrote:

Let's be honest, we expect Piastri to be 2 tenths or so behind Lando, maybe even more as there was little running in FP. If that was the case (no damage) Lando would start on pole. Things look quite good but it might be a struggle to overtake with low top speed.
Start from pole after verstrapons penalty?
Lando is good but not 1.5 seconds good.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

FittingMechanics wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Piastri has been close enough that I wouldn’t just give Lando a 2 tenth bonus “just because”, but there would definitely be an expectation for Lando to match or exceed Piastri’s pace.

The reality is that with the new generation of cars, the floor is responsible for most of the DF of the car, damage to it would have had a big impact on the It’s performance (probably the reason for the big difference in S2)… So I would think that Lando would have been there or thereabouts with Piastri in Qualy.

But the conditions suited the car with a higher DF setup… If it rains on Sunday, we might be in for a surprise (a positive one)… Already doing the rain dance

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

FittingMechanics wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

It could be a Hamilton-Ocon Japan type of race if they get stuck behind others without DRS.
A lion must kill its prey.

MrGapes

the EDGE wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 22:00
MrGapes wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 21:54
Current weather for Sprint and shoot-out looks very wet.. During its respective timeslots is 1.3-4mm/h, I don't think they'll do any running with current forecast (weather changes very quickly in this region so who knows)
That’s really not a lot of rain, F3/2 we’re running in that today

The forecast is unsettled/changeable. Just because it says it will rain, does not mean it will, it could well be sunny

I think they will get to run both sessions, maybe an early or late start, possibly interrupted, but this is not like it was 2 years ago
As I've written above “weather changes quickly in this region” I am just describing the current forecast (which has changed).

F3/F2 ran in significantly less rain than 4mm, F1 creates far more spray and visibility issues, yes we will most likely see running, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a red flag delay.

Emag
Emag

I think the downforce setup was not the right one for this track. They were blistering in second sector, but too much time lost in 1 & 3

bauc

Emag wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 01:23
I think the downforce setup was not the right one for this track. They were blistering in second sector, but too much time lost in 1 & 3
If we have a wet race on SUNDAY, this might play into our hand.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Emag wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 01:23
They have the simulator drivers on every possible permutation of drag / DF levels to come up with the best possible lap time… They have all the data to determine if we gaining a couple of tenths in the straights is worth not only losing potentially more on the corners, but also having slower race pace… I trust their data to determine the optimum downforce setup for their car.

organic

Also is there a lower downforce wing that McLaren even have? Taking a dremel to the RW flap does but you are losing drs efficiency with that