2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Darth-Piekus

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Props to Oscar whatever he does today. 5 Full Laps. Get in there Oscar.

DiogoBrand

Impossible to overtake with this straight line speed, but really good pace and good result.

Emag
Emag

Setup is probably not the right one. Getting a bit worried about the race tomorrow, but we will see. Perhaps its not that bad with DRS. Pace is good in sector 2 but they lose so much on the straights.

Darth-Piekus

P2-P5. I will take it. Good form for both drivers. Lando could have better chances if he had the DRS. Set up is indeed not optimal but it's a good lesson for Monza. However apart from Red Bull and Verstappen both Mclarens were best of the rest. Good work to the team in outsmarting Red Bull today with the pit stops.

saputra_25
saputra_25

I'm really concerned for tomorrow. If the race would be dry (which is most likely) we will have serious problem.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

The biggest threat tomorrow will be Mercedes… They have a lot of pace on race trim… Hamilton was making a lot of ground on Gasly and Russell could have gotten Lando with a few more laps… Tomorrow won’t be an easy one

Ben1980
Ben1980

The team have obviously set the car up to be as fast as possible. People may express their worry, but the experts obviously think this is the best way to run the car.

McL-H
McL-H

P2 for Piastri and leading his first laps in F1. What a day this must have been for him.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Nice sprint. 10 points in the piggy bank today. Tomorrow they promise dry weather, but the track will be unrolled, there will be no holding and tire wear will be increased. I assume that a higher pressure will play into the hands of McLaren, as they will slide less. Oh yes, tomorrow the weather will be cool.

runningmanz
runningmanz

Well done Oscar. Couldn't have done much more today. Great p2.

the EDGE
the EDGE

The Mcl60 definitely seems to work all the time, everywhere

Maybe not always second best, but it’s sure going to be a great end to the season

A what a driver paring! it’s going to be great to watch how that plays out

All this… and upgrades in September too

Darth-Piekus

The team did a fantastic job in outfoxing Red Bull and Oscar did a good job keeping Max for a good amount of laps behind considering Red Bull is still faster as a car and unlike Perez, Max is taking the most out of his car. After Red Bull I would say that Oscar was best of the rest by far and perhaps he could have hold a little more if he hadn't have that safety car as he was able to open up the distance during that second stint. Lando could have done better if he had the DRS but still I will take that 5th place.

Now the big question is how good will be the after summer upgrades. If they manage to deliver that big of a leap again we might be able to fight equally with Max Verstappen's Red Bull.

Juzh

Darth-Piekus wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 18:49
The team did a fantastic job in outfoxing Red Bull and Oscar did a good job keeping Max for a good amount of laps behind considering Red Bull is still faster as a car and unlike Perez, Max is taking the most out of his car. After Red Bull I would say that Oscar was best of the rest by far and perhaps he could have hold a little more if he hadn't have that safety car as he was able to open up the distance during that second stint. Lando could have done better if he had the DRS but still I will take that 5th place.

Now the big question is how good will be the after summer upgrades. If they manage to deliver that big of a leap again we might be able to fight equally with Max Verstappen's Red Bull.
Piastri was about to be overtaken in the next 30 seconds if SC didnt interupt it. Ver was basically on top of him in bus stop.

Xero

Great result for Oscar! Lando stuck behind a very handy Ferrari in the straights, not much he could do from there. Gasly in third almost certainly helped any threat from Hamilton, who I do think has a slightly faster car this weekend. The higher downforce setup will help with tyres tomorrow for sure, but another podium looks out of reach in a dry race.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Darth-Piekus wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 18:49
The team did a fantastic job in outfoxing Red Bull and Oscar did a good job keeping Max for a good amount of laps
Mclaren have a pitstall near the end of the pitlane so they benefitted in being able to pit without being delayed by incoming cars. RB are at the beginning so they would have lost many more positions if they pitted. Just a quirk of the pit locations.
A lion must kill its prey.