2023 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa-Francorchamps, July 28 - 30

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Alex_Z
Alex_Z

Re: 2023 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa-Francorchamps, July 28 - 30

Nothing more than a racing incident, LH was fully alongside at the apex and left room on the outside. Russell's move in Baku was worse and in the dry yet it went unpunished, the same should have happened here.

[...]
Last edited by Steven on 29 Jul 2023, 22:01, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Unproven racism claims

Willy
Willy

AR3-GP wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 19:18

This one is nail in the coffin.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

jz11 wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 19:20
Just_a_fan wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 19:16
Willy wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 19:07
Wasn't it the same case in Brazil last year when Max was inside?
Well it was a very different type of corner and the two lines different, but if one wishes to drag up incomparable incidents, most people seemed to think that was a racing incident at the time, as I remember. I though it a bit of a dive bomb, hence why it's a different and incomparable incident. There was no dive bomb today - Perez was slow and Hamilton drove up alongside him, at which point Perez took a line that isn't the usual line through that corner - he pinched across.
sorry, what did he pinch? he was right on the curb on the exit, the only pinching was from understeering Lewis who tried to push Perez into submission by classically running him out of space on the exit, so, was Perez along side or not? was he entitled to space on the exit or not?
The impact was well before he reached the kerb. :roll:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

jz11
jz11

Just_a_fan wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 19:22
jz11 wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 19:20
Just_a_fan wrote:

Well it was a very different type of corner and the two lines different, but if one wishes to drag up incomparable incidents, most people seemed to think that was a racing incident at the time, as I remember. I though it a bit of a dive bomb, hence why it's a different and incomparable incident. There was no dive bomb today - Perez was slow and Hamilton drove up alongside him, at which point Perez took a line that isn't the usual line through that corner - he pinched across.
sorry, what did he pinch? he was right on the curb on the exit, the only pinching was from understeering Lewis who tried to push Perez into submission by classically running him out of space on the exit, so, was Perez along side or not? was he entitled to space on the exit or not?
The impact was well before he reached the kerb. :roll:
right, so physics matter just for Lewis, but not for Perez?

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

AR3-GP wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 19:18
Just_a_fan wrote:
- Perez was slow and Hamilton drove up alongside him, at which point Perez took a line that isn't the usual line through that corner - he pinched across.
Pinched across? :?

https://i.ibb.co/m45S4Kb/ezgif-com-video-to-gif.gif

https://i.postimg.cc/1XyvF1BW/Spa-inchident.gif
He took a line that was going to leave hi with way more track on his left side than usual, despite already being on the outside.

Hamilton definitely did understeer after being squeezed onto the inside kerb, but Sergio also took an aggressive line that cut across the natural line of the inside car that would naturally drift toward the track edge anyway, let alone after being squeezed onto a wet kerb.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

GrizzleBoy wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 19:25

He took a line that was going to leave hi with way more track on his left side than usual, despite already being on the outside.
Here is Verstappen's pole lap for your reference:

There's nothing unnatural especially when drivers avoid kerbs and painted surfaces in the wet like today.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 29 Jul 2023, 19:27, edited 1 time in total.
A lion must kill its prey.

chrisc90

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

So just as I said, Ham understeer was due to breaking traction after getting onto the wet kerb, but they're ignoring the part where he was squeezed over there by the defending driver?

Edit: wait they didn't ignore it, they completely acknowledged it....wtf, I give up.

The same people who I disagree with giving the penalty are the same people supporting my whole argument for why it was a racing incident, in their justification for giving the penalty lmao.
Last edited by Steven on 29 Jul 2023, 21:39, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed quoted post right above

dialtone
dialtone

You folks must be blind as moles. defending rbr is the last thing I would do but this is an easy pen for ham, not much to discuss really. sucks that it ended that way and these moves are incredibly inconsistently ruled, but this is an easy penalty. Ham is the best drivers on the grid, he knows he's going to understeer there and he also knows full well what trajectory checo is going to take until his car stops turning. checo leaves all the necessary space, to say he's pinching is trolling.

not going to reply further, sucks for ham, he was driving extremely well.
Last edited by Steven on 29 Jul 2023, 21:40, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed quoted post right above

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

I could as well say that Perez should know that pushing an overtaking car toward a wet kerb in a wet race will result in them having compromised traction after mounting the kerb and should therefore leave more space on corner exit and not less.

But hey, it's his sidepod. He can do what he wants with it.

Also, if I'm trolling for saying Sergio squeezed Ham, then the official FIA penalty document that was in the post you quoted is trolling where it quite literally says Sergio left Hamilton "little room" at the apex where they say in their won words is what caused Ham to go to the kerb and lose traction in the first place.......so......

Wait do you agree with the FIA or not?

How can you agree with the penalty, but say anyone who says Ham was squeezed was trolling, when that's what it says in the FIA document?

It's not even me making this argument now.

It's literally the FIA themselves saying it.
Last edited by GrizzleBoy on 29 Jul 2023, 19:44, edited 2 times in total.

DGP123
DGP123

Henri wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 18:33
Sprint races are crap
Yes, I agree.
Last edited by DGP123 on 29 Jul 2023, 19:48, edited 1 time in total.

organic

In 2021 many complained about drivers barging past others on track with the car out of control and using that to get the upper hand wheel to wheel.. I see the same users now defending Hamilton and criticizing Perez in this situation :oops:

Anyway here's a comparison between tyres

Rears

Fronts

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

In any other racing series that’s a racing incident, but only in F1 will people endlessly whine about something that is a none story in any racing series where actual wheel to wheel racing takes place regularly.

The whining from everyone, on all sides, is nauseating. Are we racing or is this a time trial series?

Also, some really strange posts in here :wtf:

Gillian
Gillian

Hoffman900 wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 19:48
In any other racing series that’s a racing incident, but only in F1 will people endlessly whine about something that is a none story in any racing series where actual wheel to wheel racing takes place regularly.

The whining from everyone, on all sides, is nauseating. Are we racing or is this a time trial series?

Also, some really strange posts in here :wtf:
=D>

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

organic wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 19:44
In 2021 many complained about drivers barging past others on track with the car out of control and using that to get the upper hand wheel to wheel.. I see the same users now defending Hamilton and criticizing Perez in this situation :oops:

Anyway here's a comparison between tyres

Rears

https://i.imgur.com/gzJ4dVV.jpeg

Fronts

https://i.imgur.com/PKElTnq.jpeg
There was no barging happening here.

Ham attempted a perfectly clean pass, was squeezed onto the kerb, lost grip and drifted like a passenger (he didn't keep his foot in which Is the whole reason Perez got ahead in the first place) into a car that was taking an aggressive line to compromise his exit.

Equating this to literally parking 90 degrees across the track and quite obviously forcing another car literally 4 car lengths wide of the track edge, is doing no better than the people you attempt to criticise in this thread.

Anyway.

Is the RB just that nice to it's tyres or is it just fast enough on the straights that they dont even need to push in the corners?
Last edited by GrizzleBoy on 29 Jul 2023, 19:57, edited 1 time in total.