2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
thestig84
thestig84

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Darth-Piekus wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 18:21
P2-P5. I will take it. Good form for both drivers. Lando could have better chances if he had the DRS. Set up is indeed not optimal but it's a good lesson for Monza. However apart from Red Bull and Verstappen both Mclarens were best of the rest. Good work to the team in outsmarting Red Bull today with the pit stops.
6th. 2nd and 6th

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

the EDGE wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 18:47
The Mcl60 definitely seems to work all the time, everywhere

Maybe not always second best, but it’s sure going to be a great end to the season

A what a driver paring! it’s going to be great to watch how that plays out

All this… and upgrades in September too
That’s the best take… it won’t always be at the front, but it will be “competitive” everywhere… They are doing way better than I expected in Spa, which bodes well for the rest of the season

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Ya. The straight line speed compromise makes it hard to defend but overall lap time surely is better this way.

Fantastic from where we were only 2 months ago. People have short memories but let’s just savour our upturn in performance. Waited a looooong time for this

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

The difference in degradation is staggering between the Red Bull and the McLaren (given, I believe Piastri may have over worked the tires to try and pull an upset)… But still, can’t imagine what tit would have been with a lower DF setup.

Still a lot of work to be done, but going in the right direction:

the EDGE
the EDGE

SmallSoldier wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 20:33
The difference in degradation is staggering between the Red Bull and the McLaren (given, I believe Piastri may have over worked the tires to try and pull an upset)… But still, can’t imagine what tit would have been with a lower DF setup.

Still a lot of work to be done, but going in the right direction:
… I try not to think about it, far to painful :lol:

Would be interesting to have seen Perez’s tyres if he’d finished to know if it’s jus Max

Darth-Piekus

Its not just Max. The Red Bull is the best car at the moment in almost everything. In todays F1 the car does most of the work.

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

Slightly concerned for tomorrow. I think we showed today we are on par with or juuust ahead of Ferrari on race pace (may be different if it's bone dry) but the diabolical straight line speed means it will be near impossible to get past on track. Hopefully we can do something funky with strategy and get track position and then hopefully pull away in sector 2. Oscar is hoping for wet but I'm inclined to think the DRS on may be better for us and mask our weakness a bit more as there's little threat from behind (apart from Russell possibly). Thoughts?

Juzh

MCLvamos wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 22:00
Slightly concerned for tomorrow. I think we showed today we are on par with or juuust ahead of Ferrari on race pace (may be different if it's bone dry) but the diabolical straight line speed means it will be near impossible to get past on track. Hopefully we can do something funky with strategy and get track position and then hopefully pull away in sector 2. Oscar is hoping for wet but I'm inclined to think the DRS on may be better for us and mask our weakness a bit more as there's little threat from behind (apart from Russell possibly). Thoughts?
If it's dry they are in biiig trouble. They will struggle massively with energy recuperation with their brick, and downforce advantage in S2 will be negated to reasonable levels. How they are intending to overtake anyone I don't really know.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

The car is not as bad as some people make it out to be. My point is that one maximum speed is not enough for a high pace in the race. To do this, you can take the example of Williams or Aston. They have a higher maximum speed, but there is not enough speed either in qualifying or in the race. Many compare McLaren with Red Bull, although this is incorrect. In the constructors' championship, we are trying to catch up with Aston and Ferrari. That's their speed to rely on. Do not forget where the team was in the first 6-7 races. I especially note the disgusting racing pace. Now the car has more downforce, better grip, lower tire wear.

Red Bull has been in their own league all season. Yes, it is good to strive for their results, but at the moment we are unable to do so. Let's wait for the next updates and see how they work. McLaren chose for himself the optimal balance of downforce and drag for the weekend, knowing that the weekend will be rainy. Even if the race is dry, the track will be cold, green, there will be little grip, it is more difficult to warm up the tires, the cars will slide, tire wear will be increased.

Before chasing Red Bull, McLaren must become consistently the second most powerful team and only then look forward, step by step to close the gap with Red Bull. With regards to race pace, I'm sure the car will not be very slow. In the first sector there is an opportunity to open the wing, in the second sector we are fast, in the third we do not lose much. So holding on to faster opponents will be difficult, but possible.

It remains to be seen who and how set up their car. Are all teams ready for the race? And for a wet race or a dry one? Complex issue. How many pit stops will there be in the race? One or two? Who will wear out tires faster? You should not judge the racing pace and the capabilities of cars only by one maximum speed. F1 is not a nascar or a drag race, here you also need to slow down and quickly take turns.

Personally, I'm not sure yet whether the car will be capable of bringing Lando or Oscar to the podium, but we will not be slow. It is a fact. The third qualifying segment was held on slicks in cool conditions. And we were not the slowest there. If the team even finishes in 4th or 6th positions, I won't be disappointed because for more consistent and consistent podiums, you need an overall faster car. Almost every race weekend, the nominee for the title of "second force in the peloton" moves from one team to another.

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

SmallSoldier wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 14:38
Before the last chicane, Piastri is ahead of Sainz by 0.224, losing 2 tenths to Sainz in the chicane alone… Lando actually loses 1 tenth against Piastri in the chicane also.

By the time they hit the chicane, Lando was matching Sainz in terms of lap time (almost identical)… And as an additional reference point, Piastri loses 1 tenth to Hamilton also at the chicane
That is fascinating. S1 I could see, but the chicane is unexpected for me.

the EDGE
the EDGE

Mostlyeels wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 22:37
SmallSoldier wrote:
Before the last chicane, Piastri is ahead of Sainz by 0.224, losing 2 tenths to Sainz in the chicane alone… Lando actually loses 1 tenth against Piastri in the chicane also.

By the time they hit the chicane, Lando was matching Sainz in terms of lap time (almost identical)… And as an additional reference point, Piastri loses 1 tenth to Hamilton also at the chicane
Didn’t someone say Lando ran into traffic?

mwillems

Mostlyeels wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 22:37
SmallSoldier wrote:

Typically that Chicane is quite a rough ride, perhaps the underfloor is susceptible to damage or the car is simply not one that can ride kerbs.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

LionsHeart wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 22:25
The car is not as bad as some people make it out to be. My point is that one maximum speed is not enough for a high pace in the race. To do this, you can take the example of Williams or Aston. They have a higher maximum speed, but there is not enough speed either in qualifying or in the race. Many compare McLaren with Red Bull, although this is incorrect. In the constructors' championship, we are trying to catch up with Aston and Ferrari. That's their speed to rely on. Do not forget where the team was in the first 6-7 races. I especially note the disgusting racing pace. Now the car has more downforce, better grip, lower tire wear.

Red Bull has been in their own league all season. Yes, it is good to strive for their results, but at the moment we are unable to do so. Let's wait for the next updates and see how they work. McLaren chose for himself the optimal balance of downforce and drag for the weekend, knowing that the weekend will be rainy. Even if the race is dry, the track will be cold, green, there will be little grip, it is more difficult to warm up the tires, the cars will slide, tire wear will be increased.

Before chasing Red Bull, McLaren must become consistently the second most powerful team and only then look forward, step by step to close the gap with Red Bull. With regards to race pace, I'm sure the car will not be very slow. In the first sector there is an opportunity to open the wing, in the second sector we are fast, in the third we do not lose much. So holding on to faster opponents will be difficult, but possible.

It remains to be seen who and how set up their car. Are all teams ready for the race? And for a wet race or a dry one? Complex issue. How many pit stops will there be in the race? One or two? Who will wear out tires faster? You should not judge the racing pace and the capabilities of cars only by one maximum speed. F1 is not a nascar or a drag race, here you also need to slow down and quickly take turns.

Personally, I'm not sure yet whether the car will be capable of bringing Lando or Oscar to the podium, but we will not be slow. It is a fact. The third qualifying segment was held on slicks in cool conditions. And we were not the slowest there. If the team even finishes in 4th or 6th positions, I won't be disappointed because for more consistent and consistent podiums, you need an overall faster car. Almost every race weekend, the nominee for the title of "second force in the peloton" moves from one team to another.
I'm not talking relative to Red Bull. The straight line speed is horrible compared to almost everyone, and we might be stuck behind and even losing positions to slower cars due to them passing us in S1 or S3 and then hanging on in S2 which is near impossible to overtake in. If we don't get a great launch and lead one or two of the Ferraris we are in for a tough race with limited options to get ahead. No doubt the car is better, but there are still weaknesses that need to be addressed in the coming round of upgrades. Also just hoping this is a case of messing up the setup a bit and the team will rectify this problem with more FP time in the non sprint races to come. Much easier to sort quickly than a fundamental drag problem that we struggled with at the start of the year.

BMMR61

Wait to see if the race comes back to us. The figures I see show about 5kph slower than RedBull, others including Ferrari have opted for less drag. Do we really think with our limited data we know better how to setup the car? The team has earned our respect.✊

chrisc90

With the higher DF - would people have not expected piastri’s tyres to look better than Max’s for example?