2023 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa-Francorchamps, July 28 - 30

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
organic

Re: 2023 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa-Francorchamps, July 28 - 30

Bit of a positivity injection: Max has been extremely complimentary of oscar post-sprint to viaplay and in the press conference. Talking about how impressive it is to be where he is on pure pace already but also Oscar's consistency already as a rookie is remarkable

Personally I Can't help but feel piastri will be a future wdc with the right car
Last edited by organic on 29 Jul 2023, 22:14, edited 2 times in total.

organic

the EDGE wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 22:11
Steven wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 22:08
Detail of damage on Perez' sidepod:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F2OR3AXXQAA ... name=large
Think it was caused by Merc’s SIPS wing?
I believe the front wheel of Hamilton based on all of the footage i've watched

the EDGE
the EDGE

organic wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 22:13
the EDGE wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 22:11
Steven wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 22:08
Detail of damage on Perez' sidepod:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F2OR3AXXQAA ... name=large
Think it was caused by Merc’s SIPS wing?
I believe the front wheel of Hamilton based on all of the footage i've watched
Thanks, I thought they were more side on than that, I haven’t watched the replay

holeindalip
holeindalip

Red Bulls side pods are at the max width, same exact contact Russell had with max at Baku. Tire to sidepod…

Sieper

Also, something not discussed yet. Isn’t it a bit weird to start the race off, let the drivers loose, on tires that everyone already knew they would drop on the very first opportunity. It was an unsafe release galore waiting to happen. And it did happen but (rightfully so as none were really dangerous) nobody got penalized. And that is with ALL the teams restraining themselves and only calling one driver in. Couldn’t we have redflagged one lap earlier, changed to inters and then do 1 more lap behind the SC and then do the rolling start.

Sieper

holeindalip wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 22:23
Red Bulls side pods are at the max width, same exact contact Russell had with max at Baku. Tire to sidepod…
Max still somehow managed to hold on to P3. Granted, in the dry, but still.

chrisc90

Sieper wrote:
Also, something not discussed yet. Isn’t it a bit weird to start the race off, let the drivers loose, on tires that everyone already knew they would drop on the very first opportunity. It was an unsafe release galore waiting to happen. And it did happen but (rightfully so as none were really dangerous) nobody got penalized. And that is with ALL the teams restraining themselves and only calling one driver in. Couldn’t we have redflagged one lap earlier, changed to inters and then do 1 more lap behind the SC and then do the rolling start.
Only reason they sent everyone out on wets is the ability to start the race whine the safety car and avoid a standing start. That way they could run numerous laps to ‘dry the track’

Sieper

chrisc90 wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 22:28
Sieper wrote:
Only reason they sent everyone out on wets is the ability to start the race whine the safety car and avoid a standing start. That way they could run numerous laps to ‘dry the track’
Yeah, and I 100% agree with that decision, the spray in the first laps was horrendous. But I was trying to find some way to get them to still start on inters as that was the needed tire.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Cs98 wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 21:41
Hammerfist wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 19:00
Willy wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 18:51
Regardless of who is involved, while making an attempt to overtake, the onus to keep it clean is on the driver attempting overtake. It has always been a rule.
Not according to the revised rules from 2022. If the attacking car on the inside has a significant overlap the defending driver on the outside has to leave enough room or be seen at fault. Merc should really appeal this penalty.
Incorrect. The attacking car (Hamilton) must leave room if the outside defending car is ahead "from the apex". The stewards clearly saw that Perez had his nose ahead from the apex and was entitled to space on the outside. They also saw the clear track Hamilton had to his inside and his understeer and determined he was at fault. The driving guidelines were followed to the letter.
Yea thats baloney sorry. That is not what it says in the rule book. There is no such definition of the defending car being ahead after the apex. You just nade that up? Here is the rule quoted from a planet f1 article regarding the matter:

“In order for a car being overtaken to be required to give sufficient room to an overtaking car, the overtaking car needs to have a significant portion of the car alongside the car being overtaken and the overtaking manoeuvre must be done in a safe and controlled manner, while enabling the car to clearly remain within the limits of the track,” the FIA have clarified.

https://www.planetf1.com/features/f1-ov ... ngagement/

Basically you must leave enough room on exit if someone is alongside you. Plain and simple. Its not like hamilton was not in control and pushed him off the track. He made contact because perez did not use all the available track. Theres always going to be understeer in that corner. Perez being a f1 caliber driver should anticipate it. Once you lose the inside line you have to recognize that you are in a defensive situation and your goal should be to avoid contact, not trying to save what is lost desperately trying to squeeze a car whose momentum is always going to go wide. Thats just dumb driving. I mean you can see hamiltons car from perezs onboard before he decides to turn in anyway. The fact hamiltons car is visible from the onbiard camera shows how far alongside he was. The fact perez got ahead before contact is a result of him faking an advantage he never had.

Alonso pulled a similar move with hamilton in bahrain. Different corner i know but hamilton conceded because alonso was too far alongside. Had hamilton squeezed there there would have been contact and the same stewards would have probably penalized alonso. That doesnt make it right though.

denyall

Sieper wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:
Sieper wrote:
Yeah, and I 100% agree with that decision, the spray in the first laps was horrendous. But I was trying to find some way to get them to still start on inters as that was the needed tire.
Max out front with the benefit of clear road said good decision when told about the plan on the radio.

I hope they can develop spray shields or some other mitigation to the spray danger.

denyall

I didn't see any discussion on why a full SC was called and not a VSC for Alonso?

In the Sprint format, wouldn't a VSC have been preferred?

the EDGE
the EDGE

denyall wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 23:00
I didn't see any discussion on why a full SC was called and not a VSC for Alonso?

Probably because of the weather conditions

Mogster

denyall wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 22:58
Sieper wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

Max out front with the benefit of clear road said good decision when told about the plan on the radio.

I hope they can develop spray shields or some other mitigation to the spray danger.
The cars are just rain hoovers, I really don’t see what they can do. There has been some talk of rear view cameras, is an IR head up display worth looking into I wonder.

organic

denyall wrote:

I don't think they wanted a tractor out in those conditions under vsc...

Farnborough
Farnborough

the EDGE wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 23:02
denyall wrote:

Probably because of the weather conditions
Given the acknowledged risk here in wet conditions, it seems more logical to go straight to VSC in this scenario as it controls pace (if used correctly) for all the circuit to cover immediate risk in a situation like Jules Bianci was involved.

Can always then move to SC if required.