2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
f1rules
f1rules

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Thanks for sharing, very nice and precise answers from Stella, no bs or sugarcoating, i really like his rational approach

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Well, here's what we're talking about: in this package, the car is more efficient and balanced. The low downforce package is not ready now, and the one from last year is not effective.

During practice, Oscar rode with a loaded beam wing, and Lando with an unloaded one. By the time of qualifying, both of them had a loaded beam wing on their car. Let's just say the team deliberately went down this path, although they could have chosen a less busy beam wing for Oscar.

I once listened to the analysis of one person, he said that if earlier McLaren had problems in turns up to 140-150 km / h, then with updates this threshold was reduced to 80-100 km / h. That is, slow corners remain an Achilles' heel as well as low top speed on straight lines, but in slow corners that are passed over 100 km / h, there are no such serious problems as before, but if the turn is slower than 100 km / h, then problems remain. Stella talked about these problems in chicanes before the weekend.

BMMR61

Interesting stuff on rear wing. Thinking more on it the Austria/Silverstone update moved the bar and the performance markers more than they even thought possible. With markers going up so high the wing design - unchanged since about Baku if I recall - really is a bit like a bolt on device with limited small mod’s possible. The data going back from say Silverstone “real world data” is better than achievable at Cologne. My point is there will be a lot of work being done back at Woking on wing options while staying within cost cap, but this should be seen as low hanging fruit by the design team. Putting into production is another time consuming element to the process.

I’m seeing more and more why the third stage got deferred - not just to get real world correlation, but to come back after the break with something of a breakthrough with the B spec car.

The incredible feat of the leap up the pecking order could be seen in comparison to Ferrari’s “dream team” in the late 90s to early 2000s. It look the greatest team ever (to that point) to get to the top. McLaren have gone from 6th fastest to 2nd or 3rd in a single mid season step - extraordinary but Mercedes and Ferrari are still to be feared.

BMMR61

LionsHeart wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 12:08
Well, here's what we're talking about: in this package, the car is more efficient and balanced. The low downforce package is not ready now, and the one from last year is not effective.

During practice, Oscar rode with a loaded beam wing, and Lando with an unloaded one. By the time of qualifying, both of them had a loaded beam wing on their car. Let's just say the team deliberately went down this path, although they could have chosen a less busy beam wing for Oscar.

I once listened to the analysis of one person, he said that if earlier McLaren had problems in turns up to 140-150 km / h, then with updates this threshold was reduced to 80-100 km / h. That is, slow corners remain an Achilles' heel as well as low top speed on straight lines, but in slow corners that are passed over 100 km / h, there are no such serious problems as before, but if the turn is slower than 100 km / h, then problems remain. Stella talked about these problems in chicanes before the weekend.
Thanks Lionheart. Could you summarise for us what a loaded beam wing is and it’s aero properties?

organic

BMMR61 wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 13:53
LionsHeart wrote:

Thanks Lionheart. Could you summarise for us what a loaded beam wing is and it’s aero properties?
Loaded as in a BW configuration that generates more downforce, and with that comes more drag.

Most teams run a single BW setup in the low downforce tracks, whilst everyone runs the maximum allowed two BW elements where more downforce is required. There are some intermediary solutions and sometimes the upper element of the BW remains for purely structural reasons, but it's simply a tradeoff of drag & downforce, like choosing between different rear wings; a smaller RW is chosen for a track where more laptime comes from the straights

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

BMMR61 wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 13:53
LionsHeart wrote:

There are always pros and cons. I would prefer a less loaded wing with a lower angle of attack and less wing area. It reduces drag, increases top speed. Here at the Spa it would help us a little, but there is a downside. The efficiency of the diffuser will be less because the pressure difference below and above the bottom will be less. A loaded beam wing allows you to increase the efficiency of the diffuser, you can call it a continuation of the diffuser body.

The most logical option would be a loaded beam wing and an unloaded rear wing so that the efficiency of the diffuser compensates for the lack of downforce from the rear wing. But here I do not take into account the overall aerobalance in turns and braking, especially the balance is important at the entrance to the turn, where the feed must have a reserve with a margin, otherwise there will be a skid and unnecessary steering adjustment.

On Thursday, when I saw one of the teams which rear wings brought, it became clear that McLaren would be fast in the second sector. I noted it and other people here also noted it. I have no idea what the race pace will be. McLaren's only chance, faster tire progression, better wear control due to less slip, a lot of win back in the second sector and hope that there will be no space losses in the first and third sector.

Spa is complicated by the fact that here you always have to choose a compromise. And the team decided: since our car is not as effective on the straights as the rivals, let's give them a fight on the second winding section. Well, half an hour is left before the race. Let's see how things turn out.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

I'm frustrated with how many people are dismissing McLaren in a dry race. In SQ3 car came alive and it was dry.

It may not be fast on the straights but it is fast in S2. We had similar situation in Silverstone where McLaren was dominant in high speed corners and just like here could pull out a gap.

I guess we will see soon.

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

LionsHeart wrote:

I think NOR had a lower downforce set up in quali (Brundle also said this). It would make sense considering their sector times. Don't think it will make much difference in the race though.

ScottR267
ScottR267

Both cars starting on mediums

organic

ScottR267 wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 15:00
Both cars starting on mediums
Fortunately the cars directly behind Norris also on mediums

ScottR267
ScottR267

Shame for Oscar that

Ben1980
Ben1980

Oh dear. One of those things.

Ben1980
Ben1980

Hard to blame him.

Darth-Piekus

Sainz here was reckless and costed us one car and I have a feeling that Norris might also have some damage as hes losing ground.

ScottR267
ScottR267

Looks like Lando will be a sitting duck here….Tsunoda already overtaken him