2023 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa-Francorchamps, July 28 - 30

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
organic

Re: 2023 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa-Francorchamps, July 28 - 30

Overtake of the weekend

omegacel71

I thought the one from Gasly was more impressive but this was fire too.

organic

I wonder where he is headed. He has gardening leave for 2024 iirc

Wouter

chrisc90 wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 16:53
GP was winding Horner up on the radio about going for fastest lap in the end. Think Horner had the last word on it.
Not wanting to risk the good weekend they had had so far.
Just on Sky, Horner said that GP held his microphone aside and asked Horner the question "why not?".
Where Horner has indicated that he did not want it, Max already collected enough points and the time he had set was already sharp.
So it was Horner who orded it.
The Power of Dreams!

SparkyAMG

Hats off to Max, he's on fire in that Red Bull and will be setting records over the second half of the season that are going to stand for many years to come.

Anybody know what the terms of play are at Red Bull; do they share set-up / any other data between drivers? Mercedes made it publicly known that they were sharing data at the height of the Hamilton/Rosberg rivalry but I'd imagine Max to be quite protective over stuff like that. If they are sharing between both sides of the garage then it makes his achievements all the more impressive.

I'd love to see Norris in the second seat though as out of the young guns I reckon he's the only one who'd give Max any kind of run for his money right now.

omegacel71

RB19 being a complete all-rounder on all types of tracks really makes it boring. Mercedes had weak tracks in Austria or Mexico or Singapore I remember. Even in 2015 I think Vettel won some races by merit. Honestly the only way any other teams wins is in the complete wet but the horrible spray won't make that happen.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

SparkyAMG wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 17:43
Hats off to Max, he's on fire in that Red Bull and will be setting records over the second half of the season that are going to stand for many years to come.

Anybody know what the terms of play are at Red Bull; do they share set-up / any other data between drivers? Mercedes made it publicly known that they were sharing data at the height of the Hamilton/Rosberg rivalry but I'd imagine Max to be quite protective over stuff like that. If they are sharing between both sides of the garage then it makes his achievements all the more impressive.

I'd love to see Norris in the second seat though as out of the young guns I reckon he's the only one who'd give Max any kind of run for his money right now.
Don't really think Norris would be a threat, honestly.
The only interesting thing with RB is : when will they fail to win this year.
They seems more at ease with the Sprint format, so they'll not mess up the setup like in Brazil last year.
I belive the only track where someone elsa can win - without both of them DNFing - is Singapore !

chrisc90

SparkyAMG wrote:

I imagine they will. Friday had about 1 or 2 laps of running. (I don’t think max even set a time?). So, at least for this weekend, the setup was probably very very similar.
I think someone mentioned Max asked for 2 Clicks on the front wing for the last stints.

Sieper

Especially when Lewis has an upset the Ver-bashing increases. Now it is still calm.

A nice race, quite tense when everyone stayed on slicks in the small shower, some very weird (to me) changing of positions after pit stop. Some seemed out of it, and then back in contention, very surprising somehow.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

omegacel71 wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 17:45
RB19 being a complete all-rounder on all types of tracks really makes it boring. Mercedes had weak tracks in Austria or Mexico or Singapore I remember. Even in 2015 I think Vettel won some races by merit. Honestly the only way any other teams wins is in the complete wet but the horrible spray won't make that happen.
I believe another team can win in Singapore. There's not better place on the calendar.
Alonso "with a lot of if" could've won at Monaco, I think Singapore, with the McL characteristics might be the track to beat them.

organic

Spoutnik wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 17:46
SparkyAMG wrote:

They seems more at ease with the Sprint format, so they'll not mess up the setup like in Brazil last year.
I belive the only track where someone elsa can win - without both of them DNFing - is Singapore !
Before amr ruined their car I thought Singapore seemed like a perfect track for them.

But with that happening and Max has always had great pace at Singapore, including last year before running out of fuel - would've been on pole by half a second or more. I think it will be difficult to beat the rb19 even there

McL won't run well at Singapore with the many low speed corners.

ringo

Spoutnik wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 17:48
omegacel71 wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 17:45
I believe another team can win in Singapore. There's not better place on the calendar.
Alonso "with a lot of if" could've won at Monaco, I think Singapore, with the McL characteristics might be the track to beat them.
No other car will win there. The type of corners and also bumpiness will suit the redbull.
Ferrari could come close, but tyre deg will not be good for them.
One weakness redbull has that may work against them is the gearbox. Max could have some troubles with the downshift again and possible gearbox failure.
I think there is something about their ERS tuning that strains the gearbox on certain tracks. But as usual he can be cautious and take a gearbox penalty and still win.
For Sure!!

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

organic wrote:
Spoutnik wrote:
SparkyAMG wrote:

Before amr ruined their car I thought Singapore seemed like a perfect track for them.

But with that happening and Max has always had great pace at Singapore, including last year before running out of fuel - would've been on pole by half a second or more. I think it will be difficult to beat the rb19 even there

McL are quite good on slow speed corner ?
I believed in AM too, for Singapore, but I think with the upgrades everything is possible, Alonso is quite strong on this track historically.
Merc and Ferrari will be nowhere I believe, on this track unfortunately.

omegacel71

Isn't Mercedes better in the slow speed corners now after the update

organic

Spoutnik wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 18:06
organic wrote:
Spoutnik wrote:

McL are quite good on slow speed corner ?
I believed in AM too, for Singapore, but I think with the upgrades everything is possible, Alonso is quite strong on this track historically.
Merc and Ferrari will be nowhere I believe, on this track unfortunately.
Even carrying way more downforce both piastri and Norris were losing tenths through the chicane and time at T1 as well.

McLaren has been weak in slow corners for years. They have a handling problem at low speed.

McLarens strength with the current car is pure downforce. They produce a lot of df and this pays off in medium & high speed corners. Hungary doesn't have any real hairpins or tight chicanes which is why they were okay there. It's when you go below 100km/h that McLaren suffer