2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
organic

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Zandvoort could be a challenge with the thermal degradation. Due to the banking the cars work the tyres extremely hard there, and there was extremely thermal deg last year despite pirelli bringing the hardest compounds. McLaren put energy through the tyres very quickly which helps in many situations but at zandvoort may punish. If it turns out okay with this factor, zandvoort should absolutely suit the car apart from a couple of slow corners.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

organic wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 18:48
Zandvoort could be a challenge with the thermal degradation. Due to the banking the cars work the tyres extremely hard there, and there was extremely thermal deg last year despite pirelli bringing the hardest compounds. McLaren put energy through the tyres very quickly which helps in many situations but at zandvoort may punish. If it turns out okay with this factor, zandvoort should absolutely suit the car apart from a couple of slow corners.
Everything is labeled correctly. Thermal loads are high. I think the team will bring an updated suspension there, which will make it easier to manage the tires, and if the updates improve both balance and handling, then it will be great.

MTudor
MTudor

AR3-GP wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 19:13
Darth-Piekus wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 18:49
The team did a fantastic job in outfoxing Red Bull and Oscar did a good job keeping Max for a good amount of laps
Mclaren have a pitstall near the end of the pitlane so they benefitted in being able to pit without being delayed by incoming cars. RB are at the beginning so they would have lost many more positions if they pitted. Just a quirk of the pit locations.
In theory it's like you said but lets not forget about the human error,the extra 0.3s in the pits and by them everyone is in the pits,the team did it right.

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

Good consolation guys! Lando states the team got it wrong with downforce levels (probably due the fact they didn't have an efficient low DF setup ready for this race) so not too many worries for the upcoming races. More updates to come so hopefully more podiums and good points incoming!

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

organic wrote:
Lando did 26 laps on a soft. More than anyone else. And his pace did not fall apart. I think that while tyre degradation compared to Red Bull is weak, it is not a huge weakness.

organic

FittingMechanics wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 19:19
organic wrote:
Lando did 26 laps on a soft. More than anyone else. And his pace did not fall apart. I think that while tyre degradation compared to Red Bull is weak, it is not a huge weakness.
Track temps were cool and the straights are long hence it was more about keeping the tyres up to temperature here, just as Canada, rather than thermal degradation being an issue

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

MTudor wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 19:12
AR3-GP wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 19:13
Darth-Piekus wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 18:49
The team did a fantastic job in outfoxing Red Bull and Oscar did a good job keeping Max for a good amount of laps
Mclaren have a pitstall near the end of the pitlane so they benefitted in being able to pit without being delayed by incoming cars. RB are at the beginning so they would have lost many more positions if they pitted. Just a quirk of the pit locations.

In theory it's like you said but lets not forget about the human error,the extra 0.3s in the pits and by them everyone is in the pits,the team did it right.
Absolutely. Mclaren, like RB, are the best in the pitstop business. I wasn't taking that away from them. I was more or less just taking it for granted that both teams would do a normal stop, such is the standard...
A lion must kill its prey.

Szabi1112
Szabi1112

I'm rather angry with Sainz. It wasn't the first occasion when he destroys a McLaren's race. Just remember 2021 Interlagos and there was several cases when not a mclaren was involved... He starts to remind me of prime Maldonado.
Shame that there was no punishment... Poor Piastri. :(

However. The car was a brick. I dont know what was the idea behind this brick setup. We all knew that race will be dry. But Norris did a miracle with his tyre management and wet race pace. Congrat Lando <3

MTudor
MTudor

Reading now the comments from the sunday's race and all I can say is:"O ye of little faith" 😂😂😂
Guys do you think there are stupid people at Mclaren who didn't run all the simulation posible prior to this weekend and put the high downforce package just because they flip a coin?!
Someone said that some of you are "keyboard warriors" and I tend to agree with that.
We have a say here in Romania,"Everybody is an expert at football and politics",well,ad F1 to that 😂😂😂

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

I don't think we can really complain about Sainz - I mean it's not ideal but going 3 wide on the inside in T1 in Spa is never a good idea. Racing incident in my opinion. A shame Piastri got so much damage.

Xero

FittingMechanics wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 22:20
I don't think we can really complain about Sainz - I mean it's not ideal but going 3 wide on the inside in T1 in Spa is never a good idea. Racing incident in my opinion. A shame Piastri got so much damage.
Definitely a racing incident. Always risky going inside at turn 1 of lap 1 at Spa. Sainz was boxed in to an extent, nothing he could have done to prevent it.

MTudor
MTudor

FittingMechanics wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 19:19
organic wrote:

You must take that achievement with causion since the track was damp than green and it had less grip than if it would have been a dry race all of the laps.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

MTudor wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 21:48
Reading now the comments from the sunday's race and all I can say is:"O ye of little faith" 😂😂😂
Guys do you think there are stupid people at Mclaren who didn't run all the simulation posible prior to this weekend and put the high downforce package just because they flip a coin?!
Someone said that some of you are "keyboard warriors" and I tend to agree with that.
We have a say here in Romania,"Everybody is an expert at football and politics",well,ad F1 to that 😂😂😂
I think they gambled on rain.

But macca was never going to do well at Spa. I thought all merc powered cars would struggle here and we saw the ferrari being best of the rest this weekend. Not saying it particularly has to do with the engine, because none of the merc powered cars have efficient downforce. It was always going to be a struggle.

organic

Sounds like they will be making a proper low downforce wing for Monza and Vegas. Shame it wasn't ready for this race but can understand considering the recent upgrade package

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

organic wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 23:43
Sounds like they will be making a proper low downforce wing for Monza and Vegas. Shame it wasn't ready for this race but can understand considering the recent upgrade package
Yep, that sounds like the quandary they were in: produce a whole package for 2 races, and lose out in 1 (Spa), or produce a half-and-half package that would've sort of worked in all races, but (a) not maximised points, and (b) not allowed them to fully test the step change the upgrade provided.

Spa was painful, no doubt :) But Lando maintaining P7 was pretty awesome! Some issues with the car (hards and steering, the commentators mentioned), and then stretching out those softs at the end. When I saw them put on the softs with 26 laps to go you could see the paths strategy might take, and I really thought at that point it was a massive roll of the dice to stretch them out, but they made it work.

Such a damn shame for Piastri, but he showed his quality during other parts of the weekend.