2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PikeStance

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

mwillems wrote:
01 Aug 2023, 10:36
PikeStance wrote:
01 Aug 2023, 10:28
mwillems wrote:
01 Aug 2023, 09:54
It is experience. You need more of your car there to get your nose into T1 and any mistakes can be costly. It looks reasonable until the gap inevitably evaporates. Sainz closed the corner aggressively but you would expect Piastria to go for it from that far back.
At the start, Sainz cut across forcing Piastri to evade towards the inside of the track. Sainz immediately moved to within a car length of the outside of the track where he was behind Hamilton. Sainz then locked up his brakes and veered hard in front of Perez. He then cut clean across Piastri's front nose. If Sainz had taken the same line as Leclerc, nothing would have happened. Norris also took the same line as Piastri, but no one cut him off. So, to argue Piastri lacked experience as an excuse for Sainz over-aggressive start is silly. Moreover, Sainz could have stood his ground against Hamilton. There was quite of bit of space between them.

Sainz goal was to intimidate Piastri to back off and to undercut Hamilton into the corner., Thus having Both Ferrari's in the top three. He failed to intimidate Piastri and Hamilton still maintained good pace through the turn. Piastri undermined the maneuver by having a good start and having no place to go.
As with any corner, you need sufficient cars length alongside and Piastri was not even close I'm afraid. If you do that you create a big danger with little chance of payoff and there is a good chance you will pay for that almost worthless risk.
I watched it like 20 times already. There wasn't anything Piastri could do, even if he locked up the brakes, the collision was inevitable. The Irony is Piastri might have been better off, as he would have clipped Sainz's rear and sent him spinning into the wall. Piastri stayed on his line. Saints weaved all over the place (car length from the inside to car length to the outside. Anyway, I don't want to repeat myself.
<-Pike----
Expat American in Guangzhou
Native New Orleans

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Ground Effect wrote:
01 Aug 2023, 11:31
A very interesting read on the rest of 2023 and plans for 2024. More to come this year.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mclar ... /10502886/
Good news. And I thought that the last package for 2023 would be implemented in the new wind tunnel and I was wrong, okay, not critical. :)

Most importantly for me and for the fans of the team, they will bring updates for both low downforce and a general update to further increase downforce. The bottom and body will be updated again, it makes me happy.

Macafangrskg
Macafangrskg

Ground Effect wrote:
A very interesting read on the rest of 2023 and plans for 2024. More to come this year.

A lot of info to unpack. Good news that we are biding farewell to Toyota Wind Tunnel and the new car will go straight to the new wind tunnel. Means that calibration and verification is finished on time(scheduled end of June)

Another good news is that the team decided to postpone the 25% of the upgrade that supposed would go in Hungary and adopt it to the post Summer Break upgrade package .

He confirm the Version 3.0 of the floor but the interesting thing he talks about further bodywork. Possible to the back of the car for the DRS

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Macafangrskg wrote:
01 Aug 2023, 12:02
Ground Effect wrote:

A lot of info to unpack. Good news that we are biding farewell to Toyota Wind Tunnel and the new car will go straight to the new wind tunnel. Means that calibration and verification is finished on time(scheduled end of June)

Another good news is that the team decided to postpone the 25% of the upgrade that supposed would go in Hungary and adopt it to the post Summer Break upgrade package .

He confirm the Version 3.0 of the floor but the interesting thing he talks about further bodywork. Possible to the back of the car for the DRS
If I had to guess it’s top bodywork shrinkage + Buff Front leading edge floor and tunnel entrance strakes changes + floor edge evolution and changes around rear wheel /mouse hole to top side diffuser.

MTudor
MTudor

I don't know why people call it a BSpec car,I like more the sound of MCL60 2.0 😉
You know it's the summer break when you have these ideas 😂

mwillems

PikeStance wrote:
01 Aug 2023, 11:47
mwillems wrote:
PikeStance wrote:
01 Aug 2023, 10:28

At the start, Sainz cut across forcing Piastri to evade towards the inside of the track. Sainz immediately moved to within a car length of the outside of the track where he was behind Hamilton. Sainz then locked up his brakes and veered hard in front of Perez. He then cut clean across Piastri's front nose. If Sainz had taken the same line as Leclerc, nothing would have happened. Norris also took the same line as Piastri, but no one cut him off. So, to argue Piastri lacked experience as an excuse for Sainz over-aggressive start is silly. Moreover, Sainz could have stood his ground against Hamilton. There was quite of bit of space between them.

Sainz goal was to intimidate Piastri to back off and to undercut Hamilton into the corner., Thus having Both Ferrari's in the top three. He failed to intimidate Piastri and Hamilton still maintained good pace through the turn. Piastri undermined the maneuver by having a good start and having no place to go.
As with any corner, you need sufficient cars length alongside and Piastri was not even close I'm afraid. If you do that you create a big danger with little chance of payoff and there is a good chance you will pay for that almost worthless risk.
I watched it like 20 times already. There wasn't anything Piastri could do, even if he locked up the brakes, the collision was inevitable. The Irony is Piastri might have been better off, as he would have clipped Sainz's rear and sent him spinning into the wall. Piastri stayed on his line. Saints weaved all over the place (car length from the inside to car length to the outside. Anyway, I don't want to repeat myself.
He could always not be there. Sainz was given little room by Hamilton. Its a racing incident and you'll not see many experienced drivers do that, they will avoid the inside if they can, outside is safer for little loss of speed.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

PikeStance

mwillems wrote:
01 Aug 2023, 17:25
PikeStance wrote:
mwillems wrote:

He could always not be there. Sainz was given little room by Hamilton. Its a racing incident and you'll not see many experienced drivers do that, they will avoid the inside if they can, outside is safer for little loss of speed.
Sainz was behind Hamilton. Anyway if you can’t be bothered to review it once then I’m not sure why you are bothering arguing.
<-Pike----
Native New Orleans

Balalu
Balalu

Let's call it a racing incident, but if we have to blame anyone, it would without a doubt be Sainz.

Edit: I too don't see it as a racing incident.
Last edited by Balalu on 02 Aug 2023, 01:17, edited 1 time in total.
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

McL-H
McL-H

I don’t agree it was a racing incident. Sainz drove like a maniac. That’s no wat to approach turn 1 at the start as if you’re the only guy on track. He ruined Oscar’s race, who could not had done anything to avoid the accident from happening. Carlos could have.

mwillems

PikeStance wrote:
01 Aug 2023, 18:36
mwillems wrote:
01 Aug 2023, 17:25
PikeStance wrote:

Sainz was behind Hamilton. Anyway if you can’t be bothered to review it once then I’m not sure why you are bothering arguing.
You assume I didn't. I did. I don't agree with you
Nor does Puastri who suggested both drivers could have done something be different.

-Bandit

Seerix
Seerix

There's also Palmer:
Piastri And Sainz's Turn 1 Crash In Belgium | Jolyon Palmer's Analysis | Workday

mwillems

Yes Palmer also puts it on Piastri. I don't think Sainz is without blame, its just that going inside like that has a history of trouble, throughout many Spa GPs. You can do it, but since that 1st corner is often quite competitive and aggressive you must know the move is a risk. Sainz should have been more careful but he also had every right to that corner. Piastri had little to none.

You can't look at the history of the corner and then say it didn't work out the way it should have,not fair! Cos you're out of the race anyway and that situation has repeated itself so you should know better. Get through turn one and fight from there.

-Bandit

PikeStance

The issue I raised is that Sainz arrogantly dismissed Piastri as "inexperience" when it was he who was more aggressive in the corner. He was all over the track. Norris took the same exact line and no one slammed into him. Why? no one else was so aggressive. Sainz needs to look into the mirror. Piastri is showing far more maturity than he is.
<-Pike----
Native New Orleans

djos

Yeah imo that was all Sainz, he was all over the track leading into that corner.
"In downforce we trust"

mwillems

PikeStance wrote:
02 Aug 2023, 03:31
The issue I raised is that Sainz arrogantly dismissed Piastri as "inexperience" when it was he who was more aggressive in the corner. He was all over the track. Norris took the same exact line and no one slammed into him. Why? no one else was so aggressive. Sainz needs to look into the mirror. Piastri is showing far more maturity than he is.
Undoubtedly I think Carlos bears some responsibility. He shouldn't assume someone won't do what Piastri did and check his mirrors. But for Piastri, in that situation it was inexperience. Nose to rear wheel is not enough to merit a cars width and Sainz can be as aggressive as he likes as he looks to fight with Hamilton. Piastri was too far back. Any other corner you have your nose yo a rear wheel and get hit then you'll take responsibility. Like last year when ricciardo broke late on the inside and took out Tsunoda at Mexico.

-Bandit