2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24096 ... n-the-rain

Brundle's take, suggesting Perez forced Hamilton to move, Sainz to move and lock up and the crash. The only correction is that since Piastri was not attempting to overtake, next time he will learn and brake earlier instead of cruising into an ever closing wedge of space.

So it is not as clear cut as some would like to suggest. Piastri may have been minding his own business but he was in the wrong place at the wrong time and that is on him IMO.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

PikeStance wrote:
01 Aug 2023, 09:33
Norris had issues with the initial setup. Once sorted, he did very well, but he was always the second best this weekend.

The Hard tires were a mistake, but I can't fault them on the strategy. However, they quickly resolved the matter and we finished well.
I think that we really don't know about hards - Lando ended up behind Haas and couldn't use his pace in sector 2. Their idea of pitting to get out of traffic where he was losing a position every lap backfired as multiple cars pitted at the same time. The tire probably wasn't great but it was heavily compromised by ending up in traffic.

About Sainz-Piastri incident. I think that while Sainz could have done things differently, Piastri should know that sticking your nose in like that when 3 wide will end up in a crash. It is especially problematic as he was barely sticking his nose in and if he braked a little bit stronger, he could have slotted in behind Carlos.

These things happen. I am sure he will learn and adapt.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

https://ibb.co/89VqBZr
https://ibb.co/Gnymxgx
https://ibb.co/kx6rqNp

Here is the upper rear wing flap. It has a deeper cut, was not used earlier this year, and appears as an update in the FIA ​​documents. She did not participate in practice and in all other sessions. Together with an unloaded beam wing, we could reduce drag and in the race, perhaps, the pace would be higher. In any case, the maximum speed would definitely be higher than in the configuration in which they performed all weekend.

Spa is complicated by the fact that we have to look for a compromise between the sectors. Add here a rainy weekend, the presence of one practice and we get what we got in the end. The team did not apply those novelties that they could apply. If I remember correctly, the beam wing has also been updated.

The positive fact is that even in such a drag version, the car did not become the slowest. 16 points is more than 0. Zandvoort will be easier, there will be no compromises on downforce, as in Monza, where the low-drag package will debut.

Will the team be able to fight for victories in the second half of the season? Good question. Some hints of this have already been made by both Lando and Zak, perhaps the updated hull and bottom really give good results on the simulator. On one lap the car is still good, in the racing distance you need to add. I'm still curious if those 25% of the upgrades will arrive in Zandvoort and if they are directly related to the suspension.

PikeStance

FittingMechanics wrote:
02 Aug 2023, 10:29
About Sainz-Piastri incident. I think that while Sainz could have done things differently, Piastri should know that sticking your nose in like that when 3 wide will end up in a crash. It is especially problematic as he was barely sticking his nose in and if he braked a little bit stronger, he could have slotted in behind Carlos.

Piastri didn't stick his nose in. Sainz came from the opposite end of the track and crossed his nose. If Piastri had locked up his brakes, he would had spun Sainz into the wall.

I already described the events. Sainz attempted to intimidate Piastri off the line and it failed. He did not expect Piastri to still be there. Sainz was the only one weaving from one side of the track to the other. He was desperate to get alongside Hamilton and it cost him the race. it was arrogant of him to "blame" Piastri for his failed aggressive move.
<-Pike----
Expat American in Guangzhou
Native New Orleans

Darth-Piekus

I dont know why our drivers should be blamed for every single incident despite not being their fault 50 percent of the times. Sainz went to cover Hamilton completely left and he locked his wheels and immediately he went from complete left to complete right sticking Piastri straight to the wall instead of leaving some space. Piastri already had the inside line.

mwillems

PikeStance wrote:
02 Aug 2023, 12:19
FittingMechanics wrote:
02 Aug 2023, 10:29

Piastri didn't stick his nose in. Sainz came from the opposite end of the track and crossed his nose. If Piastri had locked up his brakes, he would had spun Sainz into the wall.

I already described the events. Sainz attempted to intimidate Piastri off the line and it failed. He did not expect Piastri to still be there. Sainz was the only one weaving from one side of the track to the other. He was desperate to get alongside Hamilton and it cost him the race. it was arrogant of him to "blame" Piastri for his failed aggressive move.
You've described an opinion if the events, to be clear. Piastri himself suggested he could have driven differently.

Very rarely are these things just one drivers fault.

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

And yet Piastri did nothing wrong. Sainz first dived in front of Hamilton locking his brakes completely left and then he went completely right sending Piastri to the wall instead of leaving space. Lando Norris had no problems taking the same lone. Of course Piastri is humbled and wants to improve. If only some drivers could be more respectable racers (Sainz,Perez,Verstappen) cough cough.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

A pretty good article on the McLaren drivers, mainly focusing on Oscar. AMuS, so obviously it's in German. However, @JunaidSamodien_ has done a translation in a thread on twitter....or X?

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... sensation/
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mclaren111

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

mwillems

Darth-Piekus wrote:
02 Aug 2023, 13:15
I dont know why our drivers should be blamed for every single incident despite not being their fault 50 percent of the times. Sainz went to cover Hamilton completely left and he locked his wheels and immediately he went from complete left to complete right sticking Piastri straight to the wall instead of leaving some space. Piastri already had the inside line.
Because it is often the case that the drivers share blame. It hasn't been suggested by anyone that Sainz has no blame. But suggesting Piastri is blameless in that situation is misguided. With experience he will learn his F1 racecraft, how to read better the d3veloping situations and the way his fellow drivers drive and behave.

And that turn 1 at Spa does not generally pay to be on the inside and behind of three abreast.

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

mwillems wrote:
02 Aug 2023, 19:20
Darth-Piekus wrote:
02 Aug 2023, 13:15
Because it is often the case that the drivers share blame. It hasn't been suggested by anyone that Sainz has no blame. But suggesting Piastri is blameless in that situation is misguided. With experience he will learn his F1 racecraft, how to read better the d3veloping situations and the way his fellow drivers drive and behave.

And that turn 1 at Spa does not generally pay to be on the inside and behind of three abreast.
And yet all I see in the last two years is our drives taking all of the blame. Sainz is never at fault for sending Norris to the grass in Brazil 2021 destroying his race, Perez not taking the blame for driving Oscar to the grass in Hungary making him damage his car and that's just a few examples. All I hear is Norris should know better, Oscar should know better.

_cerber1

Spoutnik wrote:
02 Aug 2023, 14:23
I still wonder why the previously announced update package No. 3, which was announced as almost ready in mid-July, was suddenly abruptly, without warning, moved to the end of summer.

homercircle
homercircle

_cerber1 wrote:
02 Aug 2023, 20:17
Spoutnik wrote:
I still wonder why the previously announced update package No. 3, which was announced as almost ready in mid-July, was suddenly abruptly, without warning, moved to the end of summer.
I think they were surprised by how effective the first two update packages were and wanted study the results with more data.

CjC
CjC

Spoutnik wrote:
That’s the first time I’ve heard anyone talk about there being mechanical upgrades….. other than amongst ourselves :lol:
Just a fan's point of view