2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
CjC
CjC

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

homercircle wrote:
02 Aug 2023, 20:23
_cerber1 wrote:
02 Aug 2023, 20:17
Spoutnik wrote:
02 Aug 2023, 14:23
I still wonder why the previously announced update package No. 3, which was announced as almost ready in mid-July, was suddenly abruptly, without warning, moved to the end of summer.
I think they were surprised by how effective the first two update packages were and wanted study the results with more data.
I’m also thinking that they were surprised too. Say if the 2nd upgrade took them to Alpines level then we might have seen the 3rd upgrade but considering the 2nd one actually took them to the podium I think they decided to re-invest the resources of upgrade ‘number 3’ and bring it after the summer break.
Just a fan's point of view

CjC
CjC

Btw I hope Mika Hakkinens twitter handle is Fastest Pitstop
🤣🤣🤣
Just a fan's point of view

PikeStance

mwillems wrote:
02 Aug 2023, 13:28
PikeStance wrote:
02 Aug 2023, 12:19
FittingMechanics wrote:
02 Aug 2023, 10:29
About Sainz-Piastri incident. I think that while Sainz could have done things differently, Piastri should know that sticking your nose in like that when 3 wide will end up in a crash. It is especially problematic as he was barely sticking his nose in and if he braked a little bit stronger, he could have slotted in behind Carlos.

These things happen. I am sure he will learn and adapt.
Piastri didn't stick his nose in. Sainz came from the opposite end of the track and crossed his nose. If Piastri had locked up his brakes, he would had spun Sainz into the wall.

I already described the events. Sainz attempted to intimidate Piastri off the line and it failed. He did not expect Piastri to still be there. Sainz was the only one weaving from one side of the track to the other. He was desperate to get alongside Hamilton and it cost him the race. it was arrogant of him to "blame" Piastri for his failed aggressive move.
You've described an opinion if the events, to be clear. Piastri himself suggested he could have driven differently.

Very rarely are these things just one drivers fault.
I actually did not make this claim. Plus I would say you are quote mining, but you didn't actually quote him.
Piastri, "A disappointing end to the weekend. I had my nose in there in turn one and got a bit caught out with Carlos darting to the inside. My nose was in there, I couldn't get out of that one, so a shame to have my race over so early."

In another article on F1, he stated; " I had a pretty good launch, I was getting alongside Carlos and then he kind of jinked to the inside bit and I obviously had to get out on the brakes to not get hit. My nose was kind of there at that point, it was too late to try and back out, so I ended up in contact. A sham to end so early."

In both quotes, he described erratic driving on the part of "Carlos."

Sainz stated, "I was on the attack with Lewis into turn 1 and I think I pretty much had the move done and then I received a bit of contact on my rear right," (Actually the gash was in between the two tires, not the right rear) ... If you want my honest opinion, I think it was a bit of mistake by Oscar trying to go through side by side into [Turn] 1."

Again, as I said repeatedly, Sainz is blaming Oscar for his risky maneuver. As if he is blameless for his actions. His perception of where "Oscar" was is incorrect. Sainz is attempting to absolve himself of blame by claiming, Piastri "lacked experienced"

Anyway, as I stated, he was already braking. If he braked harder, he would have hit Sainz in the rear, and given the force that Sainz hit him, Sainz would have spun.
<-Pike----
Expat American in Guangzhou
Native New Orleans

Vanja #66

There's nothing Piastri could have done that wouldn't have cost him a lot more positions and that's not racing. Contrary, Sainz had several solutions to allow all 3 of them to pass easy, the best would have been to have a slightly wider corner entry and leave Oscar some room, since he was neither dive bombing nor going in too fast. On top of everything else, Sainz locked up in an aggressive move and shut the door with the same aggression, seemingly completely oblivious to Piastri's position.

The situation is quite clear, though I do believe Piastri will learn to avoid Sainz in these situations, the Spaniars has been hectic ans causing incidents for some time now (Texas, Australia, Spa...)
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

trinidefender
trinidefender

Talking as a Sainz fan since he was driving for McLaren;

I think this picture pretty much shows stone cold proof that sainz had a lot of room between himself and Lewis. Sainz drove as if he didn't know piastri was there, probably thinking piastri was going to back out.

If he actually held his line and used all the room Lewis has left him then there wouldn't have been a collision but what I image he thought was that piastri would have overtaken him if he didn't shut the door so thought he could bully the rookie.

mzivtins
mzivtins

Sainz cut down from the outside to the inside of the corner with one wheel locked up. Ignoring Piastri altogether, that is terrible driving standard and car control. Reminds me of COTA where he did the same thing, just cut down the corner aggressively and just expected the car to not be there and cried then about it too.

Does he feel that all cars behind should give the leading car the entire track width for silly stunts like that?

Piastri was incredibly all weekend, Norris, like Russell, was making far too many mistakes in all sessions throughout the weekend. It is a shame his race was ruined unfairly by a three-wheeled out of control car into t1

mwillems

PikeStance wrote:
03 Aug 2023, 02:21
mwillems wrote:
PikeStance wrote:
02 Aug 2023, 12:19

Piastri didn't stick his nose in. Sainz came from the opposite end of the track and crossed his nose. If Piastri had locked up his brakes, he would had spun Sainz into the wall.

I already described the events. Sainz attempted to intimidate Piastri off the line and it failed. He did not expect Piastri to still be there. Sainz was the only one weaving from one side of the track to the other. He was desperate to get alongside Hamilton and it cost him the race. it was arrogant of him to "blame" Piastri for his failed aggressive move.
You've described an opinion if the events, to be clear. Piastri himself suggested he could have driven differently.

I actually did not make this claim. Plus I would say you are quote mining, but you didn't actually quote him.
Piastri, "A disappointing end to the weekend. I had my nose in there in turn one and got a bit caught out with Carlos darting to the inside. My nose was in there, I couldn't get out of that one, so a shame to have my race over so early."

In another article on F1, he stated; " I had a pretty good launch, I was getting alongside Carlos and then he kind of jinked to the inside bit and I obviously had to get out on the brakes to not get hit. My nose was kind of there at that point, it was too late to try and back out, so I ended up in contact. A sham to end so early."

Sainz stated, "I was on the attack with Lewis into turn 1 and I think I pretty much had the move done and then I received a bit of contact on my rear right," (Actually the gash was in between the two tires, not the right rear) ... If you want my honest opinion, I think it was a bit of mistake by Oscar trying to go through side by side into [Turn] 1."

Again, as I said repeatedly, Sainz is blaming Oscar for his risky maneuver. As if he is blameless for his actions. His perception of where "Oscar" was is incorrect. Sainz is attempting to absolve himself of blame by claiming, Piastri "lacked experienced"

Anyway, as I stated, he was already braking. If he braked harder, he would have hit Sainz in the rear, and given the force that Sainz hit him, Sainz would have spun.
I'm not quote mining, he changed his tine later and said exactly what I said ge said. He started with the quotes you made and then became more conciliatory.

In terms of braking, he could have braked a little earlier to ensure he was in no danger.

He braked as hard as he could... as soon as he realised the danger. Not the same as not being able to brake earlier.

“I’ll look back over it more and see if there was more I could have done, but it’s just a shame that we’re standing here and not still on track.

“Looking back on it, I think we both could have done things a bit differently.”

https://the-race.com/formula-1/sainzs-i ... misguided/

Nobody is doubting he was incredible all weekend. I was chapioning him in here long before many.

This is starting to feel like djos and Ricciardo all over again. He can and will make mistakes and this corner is notorious for this kind of collision. As I have said, you can say "this is how everyone should have behaved" ... or look at the actual history of clashes here of which there are plenty. Common sense will continue to not be involved despite your protestations and this will happen again.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

PikeStance

mwillems wrote:
03 Aug 2023, 09:17
PikeStance wrote:
mwillems wrote:

I'm not quote mining, he changed his tine later and said exactly what I said ge said. He started with the quotes you made and then became more conciliatory.

In terms of braking, he could have braked a little earlier to ensure he was in no danger.

He braked as hard as he could... as soon as he realised the danger. Not the same as not being able to brake earlier.

“I’ll look back over it more and see if there was more I could have done, but it’s just a shame that we’re standing here and not still on track.

Nobody is doubting he was incredible all weekend. I was chapioning him in here long before many.

This is starting to feel like djos and Ricciardo all over again. He can and will make mistakes.
Still no quote? I could not find any such quote.

I did find this.
“I’ll look back over it more and see if there was more I could have done but it’s just a shame that we’re standing here and not still on track.”

Asked by PlanetF1.com if he was surprised that the FIA did not investigate the incident with Sainz, Piastri said: “I think we both could have done things a bit differently.

“It’s a very tight turn one and Carlos also didn’t have many options from where Lewis [Hamilton] was either.”
This is the closet to a "conciliatory" statement I could find.
The car that Sainz saw in his mirror was Norris, not Piastri who was side by side with him. I'm afraid Carlos has only himself to blame.
<-Pike----
Expat American in Guangzhou
Native New Orleans

mwillems

PikeStance wrote:
03 Aug 2023, 09:32
mwillems wrote:
03 Aug 2023, 09:17
PikeStance wrote:

This is starting to feel like djos and Ricciardo all over again. He can and will make mistakes.
Still no quote? I could not find any such quote.

I did find this.
“I’ll look back over it more and see if there was more I could have done but it’s just a shame that we’re standing here and not still on track.”

Asked by PlanetF1.com if he was surprised that the FIA did not investigate the incident with Sainz, Piastri said: “I think we both could have done things a bit differently.

“It’s a very tight turn one and Carlos also didn’t have many options from where Lewis [Hamilton] was either.”
This is the closet to a "conciliatory" statement I could find.
The car that Sainz saw in his mirror was Norris, not Piastri who was side by side with him. I'm afraid Carlos has only himself to blame.
Yes, the exact quote he said later when he calmed down 🤣 apparently if you don't like it, it is mining.

Listen, you are way to binary and fixated on apportioning fault.

Piastri should have been one meter back to be safe to avoid dodgy driving in a pressure situation where people squeeze, with you being the person next to concrete. That space always closes. That isn't about making it his fault

But you live in dreamland if you think he can repeat that driving and not get hit again. That corner will always be squeezed. That is the point.

He might, in theory, be fine to drive line that, but in reality he is going to get hit a few times, no matter how much it is someone else's "fault". 1 meter made nothing for his position in the race, and I guarantee you he will be more careful in future there.

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

This was a moment where Piastri reduced the pressure on his brakes a little bit to exploit the apparent gap. In my opinion, that was a bad move as Sainz was moving from the left and would take the apex.

As is clearly visible, front wheel of Piastri is just barely in line with rear wheel of Sainz.

I think Palmer has a fair analysis. Piastri either had to command the position by putting himself alongside Sainz fully (which may have ended up in a crash as well) or drop behind Sainz.

Looking back, Verstappen was in a similar situation as Piastri and caused a crash as well.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... 2Ovty.html

And to be honest, I am sure that we would be quite mad with Sainz if the roles were reversed.

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
03 Aug 2023, 10:00
This was a moment where Piastri reduced the pressure on his brakes a little bit to exploit the apparent gap. In my opinion, that was a bad move as Sainz was moving from the left and would take the apex.

As is clearly visible, front wheel of Piastri is just barely in line with rear wheel of Sainz.
https://i.imgur.com/Hgu5LPo.png

I think Palmer has a fair analysis. Piastri either had to command the position by putting himself alongside Sainz fully (which may have ended up in a crash as well) or drop behind Sainz.

Looking back, Verstappen was in a similar situation as Piastri and caused a crash as well.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... 2Ovty.html

And to be honest, I am sure that we would be quite mad with Sainz if the roles were reversed.
Vettel and Railkanen also comes to recent memory. It's just not a corner to be clever on the inside. Space always dissapears. Or was it Vettel and Leclerc?

And to add, it isn't a question of fault, it is just that with experience Piastri will see this situation earlier and understand how to avoid it. Fine margins make the difference and expecting everyone to behave correctly and then point fingers after the event doesn't get the team points.

What can Piastri do to change Sainz or to stop that behaviour again? It's a total pointless excersise. Be a clever driver like Hamilton, Alonso and Verstappen now.

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
03 Aug 2023, 10:40
Vettel and Railkanen also comes to recent memory. It's just not a corner to be clever on the inside. Space always dissapears. Or was it Vettel and Leclerc?

And to add, it isn't a question of fault, it is just that with experience Piastri will see this situation earlier and understand how to avoid it. Fine margins make the difference and expecting everyone to behave correctly and then point fingers after the event doesn't get the team points.

What can Piastri do to change Sainz or to stop that behaviour again? It's a total pointless excersise. Be a clever driver like Hamilton, Alonso and Verstappen now.
I do think there is something in being elbows out. Verstappen was like that earlier in the career and drivers now know he will probably not back out so the choice is a crash or backing out against Verstappen. Also that he will force you wide if needed.

But in this situation it was too optimistic and not worth it. It is Spa where you can overtake easily if you have the speed.

To me it is a racing incident - no blame to be laid on either one. It happens, it's just unfortunate that this meant Piastri could not score any points.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
03 Aug 2023, 12:54
mwillems wrote:
03 Aug 2023, 10:40

I do think there is something in being elbows out. Verstappen was like that earlier in the career and drivers now know he will probably not back out so the choice is a crash or backing out against Verstappen. Also that he will force you wide if needed.

But in this situation it was too optimistic and not worth it. It is Spa where you can overtake easily if you have the speed.

To me it is a racing incident - no blame to be laid on either one. It happens, it's just unfortunate that this meant Piastri could not score any points.
For sure, Senna style, but you commit to the corner much more aggressively and state your intent that you won't move so they had better give you space. Either that or stay back.

-Bandit

billamend
billamend

Regarding what we worked on on this year's car, a lot of things are also relevant for the 2024 car, but the MCL60 will not be placed in our new wind tunnel. The new tunnel will be used for the new car, that of the 'next year'.

Regarding the 2024 car, we can't develop so many components that can already be fitted to the MCL60, because things are very interconnected, tangled, so it's very difficult to have a 2024 solution that can work on this year's car.

We could make a component and assemble it already this year to do a sort of test and see if it works, but to prepare it and do a test means that someone will have to design the part, deliberate it and produce it in a period in which we are already focused on the machine next year, so I see it unlikely. We have already abandoned the development of the MCL60 and are already oriented towards that of the 2024 machine.

We're not necessarily concerned about any correlation issues between the wind tunnel and the new car, because obviously we've done quite extensive validation work on the new facility.

The new wind tunnel has been designed with some criteria to improve the correlation with the track. So, if nothing else, I'm even encouraged by what I've seen so far in terms of the behavior of the new tunnel