2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

djos wrote:
19 Aug 2023, 13:10
the EDGE wrote:
19 Aug 2023, 13:03
djos wrote:
19 Aug 2023, 02:43
More work needed according to lando.

https://apple.news/AyR2ha5V6S26wxsyWA_TkUQ

So who takes the lead on this? Prodromou, Sanchez or Marshall?

Hopefully they work as 1 big super-brain, their dynamic relationship is going to critical to the success of this new structure
Isn’t Marshall the new chassis guru? Low speed corners are likely more mechanical grip than aero grip I’d have thought.
There was a nice video analysing the car, breaking down the cars ability not just by corner speed but also into entry, apex and exit.

The car seemed good at low speed entry if I recall but work was required around exits from low speed corners and possibly the apex speed also.

It seems to suggest that mechanical grip at the front isn't too bad.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

What in the world????? :wtf: Image
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

djos

mwillems wrote:
20 Aug 2023, 17:06
djos wrote:
the EDGE wrote:
19 Aug 2023, 13:03

So who takes the lead on this? Prodromou, Sanchez or Marshall?

Hopefully they work as 1 big super-brain, their dynamic relationship is going to critical to the success of this new structure
Isn’t Marshall the new chassis guru? Low speed corners are likely more mechanical grip than aero grip I’d have thought.
There was a nice video analysing the car, breaking down the cars ability not just by corner speed but also into entry, apex and exit.

The car seemed good at low speed entry if I recall but work was required around exits from low speed corners and possibly the apex speed also.

From the article on Oscar:
What this McLaren seems to demand through slower corners, if you take a conventional hairpin as an example, is a specific approach to the entry and exit – making the corner a ‘V’ shape instead of a ‘U’ shape. Norris hates this and Piastri doesn’t seem to disagree, although he doesn’t want to elaborate much on the specifics.
From memory, this was the issue that Daniel could never get to grips with.
"In downforce we trust"

organic

Ground Effect wrote:
21 Aug 2023, 01:00
What in the world????? :wtf: https://instagram.flos5-1.fna.fbcdn.ne ... sid=2999b8
Zak, ford CEO, Newey, any idea who the others are?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
21 Aug 2023, 02:10
Ground Effect wrote:
What in the world????? :wtf: https://instagram.flos5-1.fna.fbcdn.ne ... sid=2999b8
Tom Kristensen (multiple time LM24 winner) in the back right next to Ford guy. The kid must be someone's kid (a buxton revelation :wink: ).
A lion must kill its prey.

mclaren111

the EDGE wrote:
20 Aug 2023, 16:22
mclaren111 wrote:
20 Aug 2023, 15:14
the EDGE wrote:
20 Aug 2023, 12:53

Yes, that's basically how I see it, so going to back to the original question about who's responsibility it is to correct the low-speed handling characteristics, Peter & David will design the Aero/Chassis to achieve the characteristics they desire, and Rob will design the mechanical components to achieve what they want?

What do you mean by Chassis ? I assume it is Tub & Suspension ?
Yes that's correct

Both Peter & David are 'Aero' guys, They set out what they need in terms of layout, wheelbase, cockpit position, external suspension positioning, suspension characteristics, exhaust exit, cooling/pu element layout etc. etc., And Rob designs & builds it

Thanks... :D

mwillems

djos wrote:
21 Aug 2023, 01:10
mwillems wrote:
djos wrote:

What this McLaren seems to demand through slower corners, if you take a conventional hairpin as an example, is a specific approach to the entry and exit – making the corner a ‘V’ shape instead of a ‘U’ shape. Norris hates this and Piastri doesn’t seem to disagree, although he doesn’t want to elaborate much on the specifics.
Yes not disagreeing, just adding some more context.

I think these cars produce not far from 750kg of DF at 100mph so I'm not totally sure if it is to do with how the car rolls and whether the diffuser is stalling, but it feels like it might be.

Although I had read in the past that the car doesn't like these tyres.
Last edited by mwillems on 22 Aug 2023, 14:30, edited 2 times in total.

-Bandit

djos

mwillems wrote:
21 Aug 2023, 11:26
djos wrote:
21 Aug 2023, 01:10
mwillems wrote:

Yes not disagreeing, just adding some more context.
Ah, I thought you were asking a question. 🤦‍♂️
"In downforce we trust"

the EDGE
the EDGE

mclaren111 wrote:
21 Aug 2023, 10:32
the EDGE wrote:
20 Aug 2023, 16:22
mclaren111 wrote:
20 Aug 2023, 15:14

What do you mean by Chassis ? I assume it is Tub & Suspension ?
Yes that's correct

Both Peter & David are 'Aero' guys, They set out what they need in terms of layout, wheelbase, cockpit position, external suspension positioning, suspension characteristics, exhaust exit, cooling/pu element layout etc. etc., And Rob designs & builds it

Thanks... :D
Your welcome… but I’m not saying I’m correct, it’s just how ‘I’ see it working, lol

mwillems

Zak Brown says we have everything in place to win titles.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/mclar ... /10510200/

-Bandit

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Ground Effect wrote:
Looks like Zak and Newey have a sense of humour.

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

mwillems wrote:
22 Aug 2023, 17:33

Good summary of the timelines I thought (I lose track of who's coming when): Rob Marshall and Sanchez start on January 1 2024, so as he says the full contribution of them plus the new wind tunnel won't be felt until the 2025 car, but for sure all the pieces will be contributing during 2024. Is it possible for them to verify they're getting the same (better) results from the new tunnel as the current one using the same scale model (I guess this would be done during correlation tests?), even though they can only run one nominated tunnel per year?

Interesting to hear they updated their CFD facilities as well. Anyone have details on what this might be?

mwillems

Mostlyeels wrote:
22 Aug 2023, 21:13
mwillems wrote:
22 Aug 2023, 17:33

Good summary of the timelines I thought (I lose track of who's coming when): Rob Marshall and Sanchez start on January 1 2024, so as he says the full contribution of them plus the new wind tunnel won't be felt until the 2025 car, but for sure all the pieces will be contributing during 2024. Is it possible for them to verify they're getting the same (better) results from the new tunnel as the current one using the same scale model (I guess this would be done during correlation tests?), even though they can only run one nominated tunnel per year?

Interesting to hear they updated their CFD facilities as well. Anyone have details on what this might be?
I interpreted it as starting to see the benefits in 24 but not until 25 can we see the full benefits. In the meantime the new sim, CFD tools and tunnel will aid development but that the teams will need time to get the best use out of them, become efficient and if build new processes around them. This fine tuning will occur in large part in the run up to the car design of 2025, by then it will be CI.

-Bandit

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

mwillems wrote:
22 Aug 2023, 21:54
I interpreted it as starting to see the benefits in 24 but not until 25 can we see the full benefits.
Yep, I think that's a fairer assessment.

the EDGE
the EDGE

organic wrote:
21 Aug 2023, 02:10
Ground Effect wrote:
You probably already know this, but for those that don't, they were all racing at the Monterey Historic's, Laguna Seca.

I guess Adrian saw an easy was to guarantee a big fat payday at his next RB contract review :lol: