2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Macklaren
Macklaren

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Do we know if this is Part 3 of the B-spec package or if this is just a small incremental step (there is some talk from Andrea about bringing the Part 3 "soon after" the break rather than in Zandvoort and Zak said "slight upgrade" in the video though unclear if that was part of his Tyrell joke)

mwillems

IIRC Stella had previously mentioned about a small upgrade coming to Zandvoorte, this upgrade come from another parallel piece of work being developed and that the upgrade was a relatively simple piece of work and considered a low hanging fruit. i.e. a relatively decent gain for the small change identified, I may be mis-remembering though and perhaps it really is the final piece of the upgrade package.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

f1rules
f1rules

Its being speculated on twitter,(and i agree) that maybe tweaks to the fw will be tested, due this rig being fitted on landos car, its normally used to meassure changes at the front

Tomsky wrote:
24 Aug 2023, 16:29

CjC
CjC

f1rules wrote:
24 Aug 2023, 19:34
Its being speculated on twitter,(and i agree) that maybe tweaks to the fw will be tested, due this rig being fitted on landos car, its normally used to meassure changes at the front

Tomsky wrote:
24 Aug 2023, 16:29
They brought a new front wing to Silverstone though?
Just a fan's point of view

Emag
Emag

Some other sources are reporting changes to rear wing + beam wing and underbody stuff.

Rakes mounted there would be more inline with tests to the underbody since its before the tunnel entrance, but I am not sure.

f1rules
f1rules

Well, you always meassure behind the change, for to see the result in flow, can be they want to test different front rideheights and its influence also, but im thinking something new at the front

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Good to see the team bringing more updates. When listening to them talk before the race, they seem confident (Zak). I would expect the team to do well here.

mwillems

Emag wrote:
24 Aug 2023, 20:45
Some other sources are reporting changes to rear wing + beam wing and underbody stuff.

Rakes mounted there would be more inline with tests to the underbody since its before the tunnel entrance, but I am not sure.
They have brought minor efficiency changes to the rear.

Not aware of front changes but they may be testing setup at the front to understand how it is affecting airflow behind the wing to support some current dev work, which I think is the more likely explanation.

They did aero testing before with this wing, so you'd assume there's some configuration they want to analyse. Perhaps a setup that didn't extract the results they expect or a configuration they may want to run after future upgrades.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Ben1980
Ben1980

Haven't they sort of said, they are re-evaluating the upgrades? Following the success of the initial ones? Without saying they aren't using them. More checking it against than a big load.

Or maybe I misinterpreted.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Does McLaren still have obligations on the young driver FP sessions, or did Oscar’s early season’s FP outings take care of that?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

Hope this is just a higher fuel load or something. If this is representative in any way we are a bit behind. Lots of bouncing on Norris' onboard too.

CjC
CjC

MCLvamos wrote:
25 Aug 2023, 13:27
Hope this is just a higher fuel load or something. If this is representative in any way we are a bit behind. Lots of bouncing on Norris' onboard too.
Didn’t look too bad in the end?
Just a fan's point of view

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

CjC wrote:
25 Aug 2023, 13:39
MCLvamos wrote:
25 Aug 2023, 13:27
Didn’t look too bad in the end?
still quite a way off Alonso and Hamilton. Then again McLaren often don't show too much of their hand on a Friday: I recall it was similar in Silverstone. Hopefully that's the case and maybe they show a little more in FP2 or tomorrow.

BMMR61

Lots of data collecting, not too worried about lap times at this stage. New floor on Aston looks like it’s delivered a good step.

Darth-Piekus

Considering Mclaren tends to have their engine way down during practise I would say it was a good result