McLaren MCL60

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: McLaren MCL60

Old rear wing in Norris’s car:

New rear wing in Piastri’s car (I believe):

Both rear wings present in Zandvoort… You can see the differences

Macklaren
Macklaren

wow big difference vs. the old one. The DRS flap looks similar but I wonder if the cut off corners aid DRS too

organic

Macklaren wrote:
24 Aug 2023, 16:57
wow big difference vs. the old one. The DRS flap looks similar but I wonder if the cut off corners aid DRS too
Merc, amr, alpine, alpha tauri all have the same rear wing endplate design on their high downforce wing. It's likely to be improving the outwash / horizontal expansion to generate more downforce.

Couple of teams had it on their high df wings at Monaco and others since copied but only appeared on high df configs - tells you it's not going to be about efficiency or drs effectiveness but maximum downforce generation

High df wings all have strong DRS effects anyway - RB have no advantage with the high df spec for instance - because everyone's drs flaps are cranked and maximum height/width.

M840TR
M840TR

organic wrote:
24 Aug 2023, 17:01
Macklaren wrote:
Merc, amr, alpine, alpha tauri all have the same rear wing endplate design on their high downforce wing. It's likely to be improving the outwash / horizontal expansion to generate more downforce.

Couple of teams had it on their high df wings at Monaco and others since copied but only appeared on high df configs - tells you it's not going to be about efficiency or drs effectiveness but maximum downforce generation

High df wings all have strong DRS effects anyway - RB have no advantage with the high df spec for instance - because everyone's drs flaps are cranked and maximum height/width.
The slits on the edges create vortices. Closing them should reduce the df/drag I imagine.

Tomsky
Tomsky

McLaren will also bring news, including a new rear wing and new parts in the bottom area, to their car to end the big development package that initially debuted in Austria.
https://formu1a.uno/gp-olanda-mclaren-e ... ecuperare/

Tomsky
Tomsky

mclaren111

Quite a large opening by the sharkfin...

Tomsky
Tomsky

zioture
zioture

mwillems

organic wrote:
24 Aug 2023, 17:01
Macklaren wrote:

It is a barn door of a wing but the telemetry seems to show that it has improved straight line speed.

When I saw the wing I wondered if it was allowing a greater release of the airflow from below the rear wing (What you consider the horizontal expansion) to allow the beam wing and diffuser release more cleanly from the rear (Less drag), as well as increasing downforce through a more efficient release. Is it also possible that this change only really helps in high DF configurations where the greater airflow requires a greater release to maintain the optimum pressure around the diffuser/beam wing?

Edit: It would seem that this new wing is more efficient but in fact produces less DF and not the reverse of those two facts, there is no evidence to support any increased downforce.
Last edited by mwillems on 26 Aug 2023, 14:04, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

organic

ort895
ort895

organic wrote:
25 Aug 2023, 23:05
https://i.imgur.com/gfop2mG.jpeg
Interesting. That inboard strake is super contoured.

BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

I find McLaren's tunnel roof shape interesting. It is similar to the RB19 in the fact is has complex contouring, however, they have half their tunnel high up and rounded while half of it is much lower, likely at the limit of legality. I have no idea on how strong the floor stake vortices stay after the diffuser kick, but I wonder if they have done this to have the main tunnel vortex continue strong through the diffuser. From the diffuser picture earlier in the weekend, it doesn't look like this raised section pulls down the height of a diffuser kick. I see no reason why they would keep this section away from the ground if it was not to aid the vortex, if not they would be losing potential rear downforce.

trinidefender
trinidefender

organic wrote:
It's an odd angle so it's hard to tell accurately but from what I can see the strakes seem to do something that only the red bulls use.

The strakes seem to run back much straighter than other teams then a hard kink and outwards pushing the airflow out the side of the floor. Almost all the other teams, and McLaren's old philosophy, seemed to try to push the airflow outwards at a much earlier point on the floor.

organic

trinidefender wrote:
26 Aug 2023, 02:17
organic wrote:
It's an odd angle so it's hard to tell accurately but from what I can see the strakes seem to do something that only the red bulls use.

The strakes seem to run back much straighter than other teams then a hard kink and outwards pushing the airflow out the side of the floor. Almost all the other teams, and McLaren's old philosophy, seemed to try to push the airflow outwards at a much earlier point on the floor.
The 3 outboard strakes seem to follow the normal philosophy that most teams have been using (and mclaren previously). Agreed that they're certainly getting much more adventurous with the inboard strake however